collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Diego Carlos  (Read 122529 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Diego Carlos (Out injured)
« Reply #585 on: January 03, 2023, 10:05:21 PM »
What was his injury again ?

ruptured left achilles

Ok thanks
bad one then, is it one of them where you don’t really know if he will be the same player again like Wesley

Not really, most people that do their achilles com back without problems after 6-9months and if there are any problems they tend to give pretty clear warning signs so, at that level, the player will be told exactly what to expect for and to stop if they feel anything off (from what I remember the biggest risks are a tightening where it feels difficult to put your foot down flat and a sharp pain where it feels like needles in the back of your heel, never done it myself but I did a fair bit of physio with a guy who had it).

The sort of injury Wesley got can take years to fully recover and if you push it too soon you can get long setbacks. The biggest problem is the mental strain that it adds where you just can't trust it. I stopped playing rugby for a decade after mine because for over 2 years every time I tried to train it just felt wrong and I couldn't trust myself to break into a full sprint or sidestep. It's different for a professional who's trying to rebuild their career (rather than an amateur who's stopping to protect their career) but it's still really tough.

Sounds hopeful he will be back just as strong then

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #586 on: January 03, 2023, 10:24:34 PM »
What was his injury again ?

ruptured left achilles

Ok thanks
bad one then, is it one of them where you don’t really know if he will be the same player again like Wesley

Not really, most people that do their achilles com back without problems after 6-9months and if there are any problems they tend to give pretty clear warning signs so, at that level, the player will be told exactly what to expect for and to stop if they feel anything off (from what I remember the biggest risks are a tightening where it feels difficult to put your foot down flat and a sharp pain where it feels like needles in the back of your heel, never done it myself but I did a fair bit of physio with a guy who had it).

The sort of injury Wesley got can take years to fully recover and if you push it too soon you can get long setbacks. The biggest problem is the mental strain that it adds where you just can't trust it. I stopped playing rugby for a decade after mine because for over 2 years every time I tried to train it just felt wrong and I couldn't trust myself to break into a full sprint or sidestep. It's different for a professional who's trying to rebuild their career (rather than an amateur who's stopping to protect their career) but it's still really tough.

Sounds hopeful he will be back just as strong then

I think so, obviously there can always be problems that come up but he's been 'early' on every stage of his recovery so far and sounds like he's only a few weeks away from full training so fingers crossed he'll be available for at least the last 10-12 games (13 games from March to May with Leicester still to rearranged so plenty of time still).

Offline Mellin

« Reply #587 on: January 03, 2023, 11:47:17 PM »
That's some really interesting insight on both injuries. Helps me understand Wes' situation a bit more too. Cheers.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #588 on: January 04, 2023, 12:42:55 AM »
Didn't Curtis Davies have a similar injury? He came back ridiculously early. Was injured early March 2008 and started the first game of the next season (might have managed a few pre season games aswell). Must be one of the quickest recoveries for that particularly injury.

Whether he came back the same player or not depends on how much you rated him pre injury of course.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #589 on: January 04, 2023, 09:35:03 AM »
I think Christian Benteke had a similar problem as well.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #590 on: January 04, 2023, 10:00:04 AM »
Re Davies, he's still going, isn't he? Good to see it didn't effect him long-term.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #591 on: January 04, 2023, 11:33:12 AM »
Re Davies, he's still going, isn't he? Good to see it didn't effect him long-term.

Yes still at Derby. Think he did his ACL a few years back.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #592 on: January 07, 2023, 12:57:45 AM »
I think Curtis played every single minute of the Rams' Championship season in 21/22!

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #593 on: January 23, 2023, 11:10:32 PM »
So, a likely return date sometime in February for Diego Carlos. I think,  when fully match fit he'll be the better partner for Mings. So commanding and has that imposing physicality.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #594 on: January 23, 2023, 11:14:01 PM »
Does he play left side more though?

Offline Villatillidie25

« Reply #595 on: January 24, 2023, 07:54:36 AM »
Does he play left side more though?

He did at Sevilla but only because they had two right footers. I’d expect him to play right side for us

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #596 on: January 24, 2023, 02:02:11 PM »
Didn't Curtis Davies have a similar injury? He came back ridiculously early. Was injured early March 2008 and started the first game of the next season (might have managed a few pre season games aswell). Must be one of the quickest recoveries for that particularly injury.

Whether he came back the same player or not depends on how much you rated him pre injury of course.

Yeah, same injury. I remember because I called it at the time and people wanted to burn me at the stake for knowing what it was just from live TV coverage.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #597 on: January 24, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »

Yeah, same injury. I remember because I called it at the time and people wanted to burn me at the stake for knowing what it was just from live TV coverage.

People on here? I don't remember anything like that. I remember a few people being very worried and then a day or 2 later everyone 'knowing' it was bad after a message from the club ("come back stronger", or similar).

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #598 on: January 24, 2023, 03:36:49 PM »

Talking about Davies or Carlos for "calling" it. I had a quick scan of this thread, the match one and the post match and can't see any posts from you OCD, or any bounceback for them. (I had to put up with Footy-Vills "songs" for Carlos though so thanks for that).

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #599 on: January 25, 2023, 11:45:26 AM »
Davies; on the match thread. Think it was Arsenal away.

Some of our players at the time described his rupture sounding like a gun going off.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 11:47:11 AM by OCD »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal