collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: My worst match  (Read 13884 times)

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: My worst match
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2022, 02:33:40 AM »
To this day I’ve still got no idea what that penalty was awarded for.
Neither does anyone else. Including the ref.

Fuck VAR

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2022, 03:15:56 AM »
The 3-0 League Cup defeat at Doncaster in 2005 was a complete and utter waste of time, petrol and money.
We saw DOL by the team coach afterwards. I called out something like " Mr O'Leary I've been watching Villa for 40 years and thats the worst performance I have ever seen, what's your excuse this time ?" He didn't answer.
Of course it wasn't the worst I'd seen, that was Watford away in 1969 as previously mentioned on this thread. In retrospect it wasn't that bad an evening, at least I got a chance to get things off my chest about the pug faced unprincipled bullshitting twat who should never have been let anywhere near our club in the first place and who I am glad to say has had little meaningful employment in the game since he was sacked.

I have a very vivid memory of that game where O’Dreary was sat in the dugout with plastic bags tied around his feet so he didn’t get his precious shoes muddy.

Please someone tell me I’m not making the whole thing up.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2022, 05:16:56 AM »
Probably 3/3/03

Not related particularly, but I remember the game when Stern John equalised in whatever minute, whatever year that was (2004?). We were a working class family and didn't have a computer at that time, and I was the only one in my family with the nerve to follow it, so it was my job to keep an eye on Ceefax and let everyone else know how it ended up.

At 2-1, all I was looking for was it to update to FT. I had tunnel vision. When it did, I jumped around cheering. It took me about 10 seconds to realise that the score had changed to 2-2.

I had to go downstairs and tell my jubilant mother and father that I had made a mistake, and that some bloke called John Stern (I didn't know any of the fucking no-marks in their team) had equalised.

God, those were shit times.

I feel your pain mate.

I was working on Kos at the time, watching it in a sports bar, and at 2-1 in injury time, I said to my girlfriend, 'I can't watch this, have to go to the toilet'.

I left it a while and then came back out into the bar to hopefully relax and enjoy the afternoon.

As I walked in, I saw her worried face (she knew a crap Villa result would ruin my, and therefore her afternoon), and she mouthed 'sorry' to me.

What a shit feeling that was.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2022, 06:07:47 AM »
The one that has stuck with me the most wasn’t actually a shocking performance. It was the FA Cup semi final in 96. Think it was the week after we won the league cup and for some reason it seemed to take a bit of gloss off in my mind. Unjustified I know. It felt like we didn’t get the chance to bask in that trophy enough because another massive cup game was happening.

We played so well against Liverpool that day but they had Robbie b*stard Fowler. He was the only thing that won them that game. Liverpool had already beaten us twice that season and I thought third time round we had the beating of them. 3-0 was nowhere near a reflection of the game. When we beat them in 2015 and ruined Gerrard’s final season it was a major sense of revenge and I celebrated majorly because I still hadn’t forgotten 96. The way the team performed that season 1995/96, right up to Charles getting injured, was one of the most complete Villa teams for me. We probably should have got more out of that season. I think we took our foot off the gas a bit after the Liverpool semi final.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2022, 08:29:57 AM »
Probably 3/3/03

Not related particularly, but I remember the game when Stern John equalised in whatever minute, whatever year that was (2004?). We were a working class family and didn't have a computer at that time, and I was the only one in my family with the nerve to follow it, so it was my job to keep an eye on Ceefax and let everyone else know how it ended up.

At 2-1, all I was looking for was it to update to FT. I had tunnel vision. When it did, I jumped around cheering. It took me about 10 seconds to realise that the score had changed to 2-2.

I had to go downstairs and tell my jubilant mother and father that I had made a mistake, and that some bloke called John Stern (I didn't know any of the fucking no-marks in their team) had equalised.

I feel your pain mate.

I was working on Kos at the time, watching it in a sports bar, and at 2-1 in injury time, I said to my girlfriend, 'I can't watch this, have to go to the toilet'.

I left it a while and then came back out into the bar to hopefully relax and enjoy the afternoon.

As I walked in, I saw her worried face (she knew a crap Villa result would ruin my, and therefore her afternoon), and she mouthed 'sorry' to me.

I think the worst thing about that game was that we'd absolutely battered them for about 75 minutes

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2022, 08:49:49 AM »
The FA Cup Final 2000 was poor. The first final I'd seen us lose. I've never seen the highlights of the game since it was played. Same with 2015 but I fancied us in 2000.
2010 League Cup Final too. I thought we'd win that.
Some really dark days during the OLeary era - there were consecutive games at Man City we lost effortlessly and I think Vassell scored for them in both. The four defeats against Blues in 2002-03 and 04-05 were dark days.
Further back Arsenal at home 0-4 in 1994-95 and Coventry 1-4 in 1999. Some real stinker performances at home in 93-94 - Southampton 0-2 , Wimbledon 0-1, Ipswich 0-1 and Oldham 1-2.  Smallish crowds and abysmal performances from BFRs side.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #81 on: May 27, 2022, 08:54:54 AM »
Alot of  people mentioning the 3-0 for obvious reasons but I think the one a couple of years later when we lost 1-2 at home was a worse performance. They could of easily been 0-4 down at Half time, it was a wretched performance.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2022, 09:42:25 AM »
Probably 3/3/03

I feel your pain mate.

I think the worst thing about that game was that we'd absolutely battered them for about 75 minutes

Angel’s best season...but in that game I remember he missed an absolute sitter in the second half.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2022, 10:55:26 AM »
1995/96 is commonly regarded as our last "great" season but one thing I can never get my head around is that despite our swashbuckling displays and plaudits from rivals and the media, we only scored 52 league goals which is the same number we managed in the half-arsed season just gone.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 10:57:53 AM by eamonn »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2022, 12:06:01 PM »
1995/96 is commonly regarded as our last "great" season but one thing I can never get my head around is that despite our swashbuckling displays and plaudits from rivals and the media, we only scored 52 league goals which is the same number we managed in the half-arsed season just gone.

There were quite a lot of games where we'd play really well and draw, can think of Forest, Newcastle and Arsenal at home off the top of my head. In Brian's book back then he said if we'd have had a bit more belief we could have won the league.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #85 on: May 27, 2022, 12:14:08 PM »
An FA Cup 3rd Round replay in January 1991 away against Wimbledon at Plough Lane.  Freezing cold evening, torrential rain that soaked through to your underpants, had to endure the most boring 0-0 though to extra time only to lose in the 119th minute to a Alan Cork deflected pee roller.

Spent most of ET staring through the portacabin loo windows that were constantly being steamed up with clouds of steaming piss as it was still better than being outside. Nightmare....
I was there too. Absolutely pissed it down. Open away end. Total misery. Except I remember it being so bad it was actually quite funny just how bad it was. I have never been so wet in my life. Horrid trip home. Great memories!

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #86 on: May 27, 2022, 12:17:11 PM »
95-96 we depended on Yorke mainly and then Savo for goals. Midfield didn't get that many, I don't think Taylor, Draper and Townsend managed ten between them. Super Tom was decent but hampered by selection and injury.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #87 on: May 27, 2022, 12:23:20 PM »
An FA Cup 3rd Round replay in January 1991 away against Wimbledon at Plough Lane.  Freezing cold evening, torrential rain that soaked through to your underpants, had to endure the most boring 0-0 though to extra time only to lose in the 119th minute to a Alan Cork deflected pee roller.

Spent most of ET staring through the portacabin loo windows that were constantly being steamed up with clouds of steaming piss as it was still better than being outside. Nightmare....
I was there too. Absolutely pissed it down. Open away end. Total misery. Except I remember it being so bad it was actually quite funny just how bad it was. I have never been so wet in my life. Horrid trip home. Great memories!

Yep, I was there too.  Couldn't stand the rain so we walked out of the open gate down the front, walked round the pitch and sat in the main stand behind Dr Jo and Peter Withe. 

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #88 on: May 27, 2022, 12:31:01 PM »
Loving this thread, I was at so many of those games others have mentioned. It’s a bloody tough one to call, so I’ll throw in Boro away in the Zenith Data semi final. Getting knocked out one game from Wembley on a Wednesday night and having the coach bricked before a four hour trip home.

Similarly, West Ham away in the League Cup. A crush that could easily have been another Hillsborough, getting beat and losing the bloody coach only to chase it as it headed up the road. Catching it at the lights and getting on was the highlight of the night.
was that the one that was replayed Des (WHU)?

Offline ez

« Reply #89 on: May 27, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »
Leeds away , League Cup , 1991. Lost 4-1. Leeds scum  giving it large.

I'll go for that, I was ill as well and shouldn't have gone

I watched that game on TV (I can't remember if it was live or highlights but I know I wasn't there). What I am pretty sure of is that later that night the Gulf War kicked off.

Chris Price having the nightmare game of all nightmare games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal