collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: My worst match  (Read 13899 times)

Online itmustbe_it is!

Re: My worst match
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2022, 06:52:20 PM »
Oldham away when they had the plastic pitch. The rain was coming uphill at us.

Oldham was always cold and windy but the wettest I have ever been at a game was at Huddersfield in the second division in one of Graham Taylor's early games in charge.

I also nearly froze to death at Notts County in a midweek goalless draw in the Big Ron days.

Was that Notts County game the one where we passed the time by barracking Steve Cherry in the County goal for being fat ?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2022, 07:00:14 PM »

Oldham was always cold and windy but the wettest I have ever been at a game was at Huddersfield in the second division in one of Graham Taylor's early games in charge.

I also nearly froze to death at Notts County in a midweek goalless draw in the Big Ron days.

Was that Notts County game the one where we passed the time by barracking Steve Cherry in the County goal for being fat ?

I think Steve Staunton missed a penalty. As for Steve Cherry I was too busy trying not to freeze to death to care about anything else.

The best goalie game had to be the bald Oxford keeper (Paul Kee) getting pelters all game at the Manor ground in the BFR days  ;D

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2022, 07:02:02 PM »
To this day I’ve still got no idea what that penalty was awarded for.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2022, 07:04:34 PM »
To this day I’ve still got no idea what that penalty was awarded for.
Neither does anyone else. Including the ref.

Online itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2022, 07:21:25 PM »

I think Steve Staunton missed a penalty. As for Steve Cherry I was too busy trying not to freeze to death to care about anything else.

The best goalie game had to be the bald Oxford keeper (Paul Kee) getting pelters all game at the Manor ground in the BFR days  ;D

"No hair, the keeper's got no hair..." I remember that

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2022, 07:53:00 PM »
Has to be the Cup Final against Arsenal, really thought the waiting at last was gonna be over.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2022, 09:13:46 PM »
I think the thing I remember from that Notts County games is three players stood over the ball at a free kick and all proceeded to run over it.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2022, 10:16:29 PM »
Unfortunately there have been a few down the years but one that springs to mind is in the 88/89 season at home v Charlton  a truly awful game which we lost 1-0 with an absolutely shocking Charlton winner. Still have nightmares about it

I went to that game with the flu, could only last until half time. I used to get the bus in those days so the match had finished by the time I got home so I walked into my Mom and Dads house to hear the result being read out on Final Score.
Yeah Charlton’s winner was a total miss kick from outside the area that ricocheted off about 3 players before ending up in our net. I was convinced we’d be relegated after that game

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2022, 10:51:34 PM »
The 3-0 League Cup defeat at Doncaster in 2005 was a complete and utter waste of time, petrol and money.
We saw DOL by the team coach afterwards. I called out something like " Mr O'Leary I've been watching Villa for 40 years and thats the worst performance I have ever seen, what's your excuse this time ?" He didn't answer.
Of course it wasn't the worst I'd seen, that was Watford away in 1969 as previously mentioned on this thread. In retrospect it wasn't that bad an evening, at least I got a chance to get things off my chest about the pug faced unprincipled bullshitting twat who should never have been let anywhere near our club in the first place and who I am glad to say has had little meaningful employment in the game since he was sacked.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2022, 11:00:14 PM »

"No hair, the keeper's got no hair..." I remember that

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2022, 11:23:22 PM »
Southampton away in the year we got relegation, 1986?  The old Dell with that useless oaf centre forward playing for them and I think getting a hat-trick for them.  We lost 5-0 I think.  The ground was shit, Ian Dowie was crap but our defenders were bullied by him.  At least I think it was him.  The other game was Watford away, the day they opened the Elton John stand, Mark Falco getting a hat-trick against us.  Same season as the Saints game.  Lost this one 4-2 I think and John Barnes ripped us to pieces.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2022, 12:08:32 AM »
Charlton beating us 3-0 and pretty much relegating us at Selhurst Park on Easter Monday 1987 in front of a crowd of about 6,000. It was only five years on from Rotterdam but Rotterdam and 1982 felt a very very long long way away that day.

Small Heath beating the Champions of Europe 3-0 on Boxing Day 1982.

By my own criteria and not that of the original post, I’m with you on this one Damo. The Charlton game was an abysmal effort, possibly matched in recent years by the 3-0 at home to Wigan under Lambert in 2012.

That Boxing Day defeat at Blues was an absolute horror show too. Completely ruined Christmas.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2022, 12:55:19 AM »
Probably 3/3/03

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2022, 01:10:32 AM »
Lives in the memory but time alters perception so appologies if not totally accurate. It was the 1958-59 season, last game of the season and against the Baggies, my recollection is that we took the lead and needed to win to avoid relegation, but a late goal from Ronnie Allen evened the score. There was no conversation between myself and older brother on the way home, just totally devastated.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2022, 01:32:36 AM »
Probably 3/3/03

Not related particularly, but I remember the game when Stern John equalised in whatever minute, whatever year that was (2004?). We were a working class family and didn't have a computer at that time, and I was the only one in my family with the nerve to follow it, so it was my job to keep an eye on Ceefax and let everyone else know how it ended up.

At 2-1, all I was looking for was it to update to FT. I had tunnel vision. When it did, I jumped around cheering. It took me about 10 seconds to realise that the score had changed to 2-2.

I had to go downstairs and tell my jubilant mother and father that I had made a mistake, and that some bloke called John Stern (I didn't know any of the fucking no-marks in their team) had equalised.

God, those were shit times.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal