collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 10:37:49 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by AV84
[Today at 10:36:29 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by AV84
[Today at 10:32:50 AM]

Lille vs Aston Villa post-match thread by AV84
[Today at 10:31:25 AM]

Championship Memories by Mellin
[Today at 10:14:25 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Ads
[Today at 09:59:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:42:20 AM]

FA Cup replays scrapped by tomd2103
[Today at 09:31:13 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summary of the season.  (Read 7419 times)

Offline ez

Re: Summary of the season.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2022, 07:46:08 PM »
Last summer transfer window done us. Made four signings only one of which was worth it.

Online Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2022, 07:46:21 PM »
Pre-season was a long time ago, nonetheless that had a huge impact as did coaches walking, Smith reached peak Smith and never looked like turning things round, Gerrard wasn't what I expected or really wanted but he's here and he needs to be given a proper pre-season, he's had the chance to run the rule over the squad and he's proven he can attract the big names.

Overall a solid, disappointing 4/10.

Offline mr-villa

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »
We need a bit of perspective, Leicester finished in 8th 7 points ahead of us which are the four points we just dropped at home against both Palace and Burnley this past week and one win against relegated Watford.  Hardly a massive gap to bridge in my opinion.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2022, 08:49:09 PM »
I get these threads are similar but do you have to post the same comment on each one?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2022, 08:55:07 PM »
Just felt like it was a massive waste of time and money, and especially since Norwich and Watford dropped, that everybody associated with the club was just waiting for the summer. This in turn puts a huge amount of pressure on Gerrard to get it right, leading me not to be excited as much as nervous.

richtheholtender

« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2022, 08:55:43 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm calling this now that for us to get in to Europe (I believe this still the plan) we need to have a city Newcastle style takeover or the big six to piss off to a super league. All these clubs that continue to finish above us are going to strengthen, so this selling you're best player and a minus net spend isn't going to cut it. I will always love the club, but I'm a realist and anyone who thinks we're going to compete without one of the above two scenarios happening is living in wonderland.

Leicester, Wolves and West Ham all qualfied for europe in last three years and had good runs in the competition so I wouldn't be that dramatic although yes Newcastle getting good quickly is going to hurt us a fair bit in terms of our short term aims.

They've all done it when the big clubs were in transition, sometimes all together in transition, we're trying to do now they've all got there shit sorted. I know football isn't done on paper but in these days it's as bloody good as. I mean Smith Rowe mist look back at them links now and piss himself. Who are we likely to catch in the next decade. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, united and Newcastle now. That's 7 before you start. Leicester and West ham had Europe this year, still well clear of us. I just genuinely can't see it. I've still renewed, so its not negative on my part, just pure realism.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2022, 09:01:56 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm calling this now that for us to get in to Europe (I believe this still the plan) we need to have a city Newcastle style takeover or the big six to piss off to a super league. All these clubs that continue to finish above us are going to strengthen, so this selling you're best player and a minus net spend isn't going to cut it. I will always love the club, but I'm a realist and anyone who thinks we're going to compete without one of the above two scenarios happening is living in wonderland.

Leicester, Wolves and West Ham all qualfied for europe in last three years and had good runs in the competition so I wouldn't be that dramatic although yes Newcastle getting good quickly is going to hurt us a fair bit in terms of our short term aims.

They've all done it when the big clubs were in transition, sometimes all together in transition, we're trying to do now they've all got there shit sorted. I know football isn't done on paper but in these days it's as bloody good as. I mean Smith Rowe mist look back at them links now and piss himself. Who are we likely to catch in the next decade. City, Liverpool, Chelsea, spurs, arsenal, united and Newcastle now. That's 7 before you start. Leicester and West ham had Europe this year, still well clear of us. I just genuinely can't see it. I've still renewed, so its not negative on my part, just pure realism.

Man. United will still be poor next season I reckon, got to make 6-7 first team signings and we saw in summer 2015 what can happen if they're not of the required quality.

When we won at Leeds in mid March I'm pretty sure we were only 4-5 points off Wolves and since then they've won about two games. Frustratingly one of those was v us so that's the problem, we simply didn't turn up for many games v teams slightly above us in the league this season. West Ham away was also a missed opportunity, hopefully they sell Rice soon as they'll certainly drop a few places when that happens as he's as important to them as you know who was for us.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2022, 09:03:43 PM »
With what happened with Smith etc. the rest of the season was transitional.
Big summer coming for SG and next season to show us his squad. I’ve given him the rest of this last  season and  I am not convinced. I hope he proves me wrong, but he needs a summer window, pre season etc.

Offline wince

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2022, 09:11:39 PM »
Shit. Hopeful. Meh. Frustrating. Hopeful. Thank fuck we are safe. Onwards and upwards.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2022, 09:12:06 PM »
Disappointing. I’m hopeful the players Gerrard is bringing in is going to result in a big uplift next year.

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2022, 10:14:30 PM »
Just off to back garden to pick up how this season has been and the pooch has made sure he's had his verdict too as it looks ready to fall apart at the slightest touch...

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2022, 10:31:35 PM »
Disappointing. I’m hopeful the players Gerrard is bringing in is going to result in a big uplift next year.

Same here but the good news is the 2024 Europa League final is in Dublin so handy to get to.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2022, 10:32:54 PM »
I’m struggling to find the words to describe this season.

There were moments of genius - Southampton and Everton at home. Triumph at Old Trafford.

But then I think of all the games like Wolves, today, Chelsea both home and away. Brentford away. Watford both. And actually, this season was effectively toss.

Maybe a visual metaphor for the season might be better?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2022, 10:54:22 PM »
Dean had to go. 2021 was shocking under him with no real sign of him turning it around.
Gerrard comes in and tries to play a system that we were not equipped to play. Results in hindsight no surprise.
A more experienced Manager/Coach would be expected to work with the players he has.
As magical as Coutinho is, he looks like he plays in slow motion when he receives the ball. Far too slow.
Upgrade at left back smart move.
Ramsey still learning but will only keep improving.
Emi M & B generally brilliant.
Defence blows hot and cold.
Midfield generally cold with a couple of hot spells.
Attack as confusing as under Smith.
Subs on paper look good but often fail to live up to potential/reputation.

Next season? For all the talk of SG's backroom staff I'm yet to be convinced.
Not sure what to expect. SG certainly talks a great game. Possession football will dramatically help but it's 2022 and it still hasn't arrived at Villa Park.
Speaking of which, we need to seriously address our home record. The only manager that managed to get it right was Steve Bruce. Work that one out for yourselves. One thing is certain, if we want to build a solid future we can't rely on counter attacking football forever. Just ask MON (not that the twat would ever admit it).

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2022, 11:13:00 PM »

Same here but the good news is the 2024 Europa League final is in Dublin so handy to get to.

If we are still slumming it in the Europa League in two years I'll be seething.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal