collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:31:02 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:30:53 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:31:02 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:30:15 PM]

[Today at 12:29:33 PM]

[Today at 12:25:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 12:25:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summary of the season.  (Read 7450 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Summary of the season.
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2022, 06:30:08 PM »
10 points off going down and 11 points off Europe. We all know where we need to improve.
in both penalty boxes for a start

Online Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2022, 06:30:32 PM »
Thank God it's over!

richtheholtender

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2022, 06:38:44 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm calling this now that for us to get in to Europe (I believe this still the plan) we need to have a city Newcastle style takeover or the big six to piss off to a super league. All these clubs that continue to finish above us are going to strengthen, so this selling you're best player and a minus net spend isn't going to cut it. I will always love the club, but I'm a realist and anyone who thinks we're going to compete without one of the above two scenarios happening is living in wonderland.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2022, 06:44:27 PM »
4.9 out 10  c -

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 06:46:09 PM »
Disappointing. Below par.

Smith 3/10.
Gerrard 4/10

A manager who talks a better game than most and results are below par.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 06:50:35 PM »
Purslow said when gerrard came in the target was top half and a cup run. (I think smith might have issued the parting shot he thought he would have hit top ten with these players?)
We were dealt a cruel hand in the cup but it seems like we been half arsed since the new manager bounce and the Jan Coo factor. we've been on the beach mainly since feb.
Most players are pretty much where they are in the league. Average mid table pro's. Gerrard needs a ton of cash to jump even a few places, I think it will take him 3 or 4 windows that's if the fans don't get fed up before then.
When you're mid table in the champ you dream about being mid table in the prem. but when you get there it's purgatory. especially when your best players leave to win trophy's and anniversary of past glories are brutal reminders how far we are away.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 06:57:58 PM »
Meh.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 07:02:57 PM »
An average season where we've struggled to get to grips without Grealish. Where we've found the structural holes in our side that Grealish covered, were exposed. Where we've been too soft and generous defensively with significant conceding of simple chances. Where we spurned far too many good chances of our own.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 07:08:32 PM »
A season where we've stagnated.  Went in undercooked with our loyal club captain disappearing off up the M6.  Poor start, brief signs of encouragement before the 5 in a row saw off Smith.  Went down the route of a "Hollywood" appointment in Gerrard which gave us a bounce of about 3 or 4 games, before we plauteued.  14th place and two early cup exits (albeit one with honour at Chelsea).  Glad it's all ended to be honest.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 07:25:37 PM »
Our summer pre-season set the tone. A frigging right shit show but luckily we survived with games to spare.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2022, 07:28:21 PM »
Finished below Newcastle.

Newcastle.

Wonder when the next time we'll finish above them in the league given how well they've ended the season?

May 2009 was last time we finished above Man. City which is pretty sobering and that was their first season taken over so shows the problem if teams with 100ms to spend already start finishing ahead before they've started seriously spending.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2022, 07:31:21 PM »
I'm sorry but I'm calling this now that for us to get in to Europe (I believe this still the plan) we need to have a city Newcastle style takeover or the big six to piss off to a super league. All these clubs that continue to finish above us are going to strengthen, so this selling you're best player and a minus net spend isn't going to cut it. I will always love the club, but I'm a realist and anyone who thinks we're going to compete without one of the above two scenarios happening is living in wonderland.

Leicester, Wolves and West Ham all qualfied for europe in last three years and had good runs in the competition so I wouldn't be that dramatic although yes Newcastle getting good quickly is going to hurt us a fair bit in terms of our short term aims.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2022, 07:31:25 PM »
Underwhelming.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2022, 07:31:47 PM »
As much as I love Deano, we could have been in an Everton/Leeds situation if not for the management change.  The Grealish transfer did for all the positive momentum we had built up since the Championship days (I genuinely believe if he'd stayed we would have finished this season somewhere around where West Ham are). His decision to leave, however, kicked off the instability that scuppered Deano's system and left us in desperate need of fresh ideas and a new direction.

As season's go, this has been one of frustration. I'm glad it's over but with the stadium expansion and transfer window ahead, I'm full of optimism for our future.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2022, 07:37:12 PM »
We handled the summer very badly and did not really recover from that.
Would love to know who was responsible for the ducking around by the Thames, that  set the scene, Twat left we panic bought, the manager lost the plot and we really never got back.
We need real leadership on and off the pitch and I am struggling to see out of the Captain, Manager and CEO any evidence of it.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal