collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread.  (Read 24608 times)

Offline mr-villa

Re: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread.
« Reply #195 on: May 22, 2022, 08:44:56 PM »
We need a bit of perspective, Leicester finished in 8th 7 points ahead of us which are the four points we just dropped at home against both Palace and Burnley this past week and one win against relegated Watford.  Hardly a massive gap to bridge in my opinion.
Modify message

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #196 on: May 22, 2022, 08:46:09 PM »
I don't want to finish 8th, though.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #197 on: May 22, 2022, 08:46:59 PM »
We were great for 70 minutes and two superbly worked goals. Overall we ran them way closer than I would have ever expected.

Going to forget about the last 20 minutes and go enjoy the summer.

Offline qwerty

« Reply #198 on: May 22, 2022, 08:48:12 PM »
I fully agree with SaddVillan’s comments:
The lack of squad depth and strength is something that we need to address in coming transfer windows.

Yes, it is very disappointing losing a 2-0 lead with 15 minutes to go, but that is Aston Villa. It’s in our DNA and it has been for ages.

For those on here who blame Ollie Watkins for all Villa’s troubles, please ask yourselves the question, why are so many Premier League clubs keen to sign him despite all the many deficiencies you appear to have identified?
He rattled that City defence today and their fans, plus Guardiola, were really wobbling at 2-0 down.
All these interested managers cannot all be totally wrong about Ollie’s abilities.

The big problem with Villa, IMO, is that we don’t have sufficient players of real quality playing consistently well with an added hint of nastiness (not thuggery like Burnley).

You can drive a cart and horses through our midfield, leaving the defenders exposed.
Defensive, ball-playing (i.e. they can also pass accurately) midfielders are desperately needed as we all know.

Also,the defence itself needs upgrading.
Just look at that mean Tottenham defence with midfielders Højbjerg and Bentancur in front of it. How far away from that (and Europe) are Villa? Umpteen miles at present.

Rome wasn’t built in a day. I am sure that Steven Gerrard is fully aware of the squad’s many shortcomings. The likes of Bailey, Traore, Ings, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Nakamba, Konsa, Hause, Young, Sanson etc should be offloaded pronto, IMO.

However, real quality costs a lot of money (unless the scouts can find some cheaper, rough diamonds elsewhere) and SG should be judged on his acquisitions after a pre-season.
UTV.

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2022, 08:51:50 PM »
The Duke of Wellington was quoted as saying something like "The next worse thing to a battle lost is a battle won".

That's pretty much how I went into this game, I wanted to win, obviously, but it would have all been about Liverpool. Man City winning the league is as close to meaningless as you can get, and so it is my preference if Villa don't win it. I don't want anyone else to be happy if it's not us, so it might as well be a bunch of people pretending to be happy.

Having said that, to lose in that way, and with the after the match stuff, it does leave a bit of a sour taste. It was in our power to prevent that, and we failed.

We'll be much better next season, I'm sure of that. I have a feeling that the news about Kamara may be much more significant than what happened on the pitch today - assuming that Olsen is fine and justice is swift.

Online CT Villan

« Reply #200 on: May 22, 2022, 08:52:13 PM »
I thought we were awesome for the first 70 minutes except for Watkins who must be replaced over the Summer. Chambers had his best game for us thus far and after a shaky start Olsen looked decent too.

The last 15 minutes was a disgrace and should never happen at this level.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #201 on: May 22, 2022, 08:57:39 PM »
The blow of the loss softened by Bet365's early payout for sides going two in front.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #202 on: May 22, 2022, 09:02:15 PM »
I thought we were awesome for the first 70 minutes except for Watkins who must be replaced over the Summer. Chambers had his best game for us thus far and after a shaky start Olsen looked decent too.

The last 15 minutes was a disgrace and should never happen at this level.

Dunno about that, a team that’s was assembled at a cost of a billion pounds decided they were going to prove it.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #203 on: May 22, 2022, 09:02:42 PM »
Can't believe city fans were streaming out when our 2nd went in. We left straight after the final whistle and there were plenty of city fans getting some pelters from Villa fans for leaving early . Their choice I suppose , but fuck me , even at 2-0 down they were still top of the league ! Hope they enjoyed Countryfile while their team were lifting the trophy.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #204 on: May 22, 2022, 09:06:39 PM »
Can't believe city fans were streaming out when our 2nd went in. We left straight after the final whistle and there were plenty of city fans getting some pelters from Villa fans for leaving early . Their choice I suppose , but fuck me , even at 2-0 down they were still top of the league ! Hope they enjoyed Countryfile while their team were lifting the trophy.

Honestly one twat said on the tram that he couldn't be bothered to stop as that's the 4th time in 5 years now.

Offline nigel

« Reply #205 on: May 22, 2022, 09:10:00 PM »
The Premier League should deduct them two points for the attack on Olsen.
That would be a wonderful thing to see unfold 😂

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #206 on: May 22, 2022, 09:15:36 PM »

Honestly one twat said on the tram that he couldn't be bothered to stop as that's the 4th time in 5 years now.

Leaving after 70 mins, wankers!

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #207 on: May 22, 2022, 09:16:20 PM »

What you don't need after a bitter defeat is a Twat on a Tram.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #208 on: May 22, 2022, 09:33:37 PM »
Our problem in recent seasons, highlighted perfectly in today's game, has been our midfield.

Mings has had some absolute pelters from fans this season, but in the last couple of months he's been consistently our best player imo. The problem doesn't lie in defence, it's further afield - The PROTECTION of our defence.

Watch the build up to City's third goal - Mings puts in an excellent tackle and all it needed was Doug to come in and mop it up but he was half asleep, watching the ball roll away into the path of De Bruyne (*who was twice the distance away from the ball at the time). We all know what happened next.

All season, we've had some epic defensive displays, only for our midfielders to gift the ball straight back to the opposition. That kind of pressure is unrelenting (x10 today), and sooner or later the defense is going to buckle. Mings has been excellent for England, and it's not rocket science that he has either or both of Rice and Phillips in front of him. If we get at least Kamara in front of him next season, I think we'll look such a better and tighter outfit.

As for our midfielders-

McGinn - Keep, but only as backup
Luis - Sell. So many false dawns, and rarely seems sharp enough for this league
Nakamba - Sell
Ramsay - Keep, super sub or backup for injuries
Sanson - Sell. Personally, he'd be in my starting 11, but got a feeling he's gone.
Chuk - Sign contract and send on loan.

Don't consider Buendia in this group - He's more in the Coutinho camp... and is a 100% 'should be starting'.

I'd also spend most of our summer budget on a proven, quality goalscorer. You can't win games if your strikers can't find the back of the net!

DM and striker are #1 on the list. Everything else is 'nice to have'.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #209 on: May 22, 2022, 09:36:40 PM »
Like everyone else, I can’t fault us for 70 mins, but chasing the ball out of possession for as long as we did us always going to take its toll and there were 11 tired heads and legs out there.

That said, we can’t go into next season with strikers that waste as many chances as we do. We need a killer instinct, otherwise we won’t make progress.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal