collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread.  (Read 25115 times)

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
Re: Manchester City vs Aston Villa Post-Match Thread.
« Reply #165 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:40 PM »
Some right Rita Hayworth going on here.
Par would be 5 or 6 nil defeat. As it was it was an embarrassing collapse but then look at the game as a whole

We did OK. But I expect better next season.

However I can't see past us finishing lowered to mid table again.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #166 on: May 22, 2022, 07:48:44 PM »
The quality of our goals though bodes well. Coutinho, bloody hell.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #167 on: May 22, 2022, 07:49:21 PM »
Watkins was much better last season, but his form this hasn't been as bad as some would have you believe. Most of the players above him in the goalscoring table this season are world class or close to it. If we can get someone of that stature in, fine. But otherwise, I'd be very disappointed to see him leave, and would be fairly sure he would come back to haunt us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #168 on: May 22, 2022, 07:52:31 PM »
Watkins has missed chances in thr past 2 games and against Wolves the other week that would have given us 6 more points and a 10th place finish. Small margins.

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #169 on: May 22, 2022, 07:52:53 PM »
The need for a genuine leader on the pitch shown yet again. A true captain would have galvanised the team after the first went in and made sure the team hit City hard for the next five minites. This isn't an attack on Ming's as we've needed a leader on the pitch (except the season with  Terry) for many a year. A shit end to a pretty shit season, get rid of the uncommitted and make sensible, astute signings. We've fucked up some 2 nil leads over the years, turned it into a fine art.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #170 on: May 22, 2022, 07:53:45 PM »
Get shut of Ollie Watkins the moment the transfer window opens. Honestly, it's embarrassing watching him try to control a ball.

He wasn't great today, possibly his worst game but blimey, stop being such an angry drama queen.
If we accept the standard of performance displayed today by our first choice striker, we are going nowhere fast.

I think it’s his lack of basic technique that worries me - and I’m not sure coaching will improve it

That attempted pass to Coutinho summed it up. He had loads of time and yet seemed to hit the ball with the wrong side of his foot. Instead of going over Phil’s head and towards the box, it actually went towards the centre circle

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #171 on: May 22, 2022, 07:53:47 PM »
Get shut of Ollie Watkins the moment the transfer window opens. Honestly, it's embarrassing watching him try to control a ball.

He wasn't great today, possibly his worst game but blimey, stop being such an angry drama queen.

Not based on today, but all season we've seen that which Risso describes. I agree with him.

Misses so many good chances, poor control, anything requiring thought rather than instinct and he can't do it.

It's good reading him yesterday saying he wants to become deadly, but I just can't see how that happens.

Agreed. All the best forwards have this skill come naturally... It’s not really something you can ‘learn’. I’d question whether playing him up front is the answer… would he not be better as a winger?

We don't play with wingers just as now we don't play to Ollie's strength (singular). Hopefully Moyes hasn't lost interest. He likes wingers and it may be a good match for all concerned.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #172 on: May 22, 2022, 07:58:28 PM »
I thought we were gonna get thrashed before the game, and even at 2-0 up i still thought we’d do well to get a draw. Man City are out of this world, that’s the perspective.
Roll on next season. I think we’re gonna spend big this summer.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #173 on: May 22, 2022, 08:00:55 PM »
Thanks. What a bunch of wankers. What the fuck is wrong with people?

I think the old marching powder might be involved...

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #174 on: May 22, 2022, 08:02:30 PM »
I dont think it's spinning it to say to include context myself.
It shouldn't happen at any point in any game, between professional players in the same league. Someone go down for treatment, get cramp, do something to take a breather and the sting out of it.

Embarrassing.

You're talking as if there's a level playing field or even remote parity between us and them. I'm not embarrassed by today. I cannot fathom why anybody would be.
I can't fathom why anyone wouldn't be embarrassed by conceding 3 in 5 minutes.

As its always possible, especially against the best side in the country, playing in their most important game, where they do or die effectively with 15 left. Momentum is huge in any sport.

You're easily embarrassed.
Momentum is huge, so we should have done some to counter it. But we didn't, our arses fell off and we were like rabbits in the headlights.  You can easily kill a couple of minutes with cramp.

And believe me, it takes quite a lot to embarrass me. But if you're fine with 3 in 5 because it's Man City, then we'll agree to disagree.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #175 on: May 22, 2022, 08:02:37 PM »
Man City and Liverpool get late goals not because of desire or mentality or character, its because their benches are far stronger than everybody elses.

Roy Keane knows that better than anybody the absoloute tool. Because back in the 90s Man Utd had players on their bench to bring on who would start every game for all but 3 teams in the league.

Today they brought on Englands best player in the last tournament, and their top goalscorer from last season.
In contrast when we tired we had Nakamba and Ashley Young to turn to.
He chose not to bring Sanson on.   

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2022, 08:02:46 PM »
I thought we were gonna get thrashed before the game, and even at 2-0 up i still thought we’d do well to get a draw. Man City are out of this world, that’s the perspective.
Roll on next season. I think we’re gonna spend big this summer.

Yes!!!

For 75 minutes Man City had Gen Bradley as manager. With 15 minutes to go they brought on Gen Patton.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
Since the lockdown in general society has turned crazy. As said above I suspect heavy alcohol and drug use is responsible for the latest attacks and pitch invasions. 

You only have to look around you in the concourse at an away game to see it's a big problem

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2022, 08:05:14 PM »

Not based on today, but all season we've seen that which Risso describes. I agree with him.

Misses so many good chances, poor control, anything requiring thought rather than instinct and he can't do it.

It's good reading him yesterday saying he wants to become deadly, but I just can't see how that happens.

Agreed. Love his work rate etc and he seems a lovely guy but if we use him as the main striker we aren’t going anywhere quick. Has got to me more clinical. If he didn’t have pace then no way would he be playing at this level

The problem is definitely around him being up there on his own, and playing one up front doesn’t have to mean that’s what happens.
That time where he’s clear through, ANY of our other players busting a gut to get somewhere near alongside him, and the goalie has something else to think about. Too often, Ollie is left with too much to do on his own. Yes you will see other players, in other teams finish those, but look where their teammates are - they are making the goalie have to have half an eye on the possible pass.

I also noticed that whilst I was amazed to see Olive get and England call up this season, how much better he looked with decent players (including Jack) around him - players who provide openings and options so he doesn’t have to do everything himself.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2022, 08:09:04 PM »
Watkins has missed chances in thr past 2 games and against Wolves the other week that would have given us 6 more points and a 10th place finish. Small margins.

He also scored three goals in the last six games of the season, so perhaps isn't all bad.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal