collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Goodbye football RIP  (Read 12995 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Goodbye football RIP
« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
This thread title reminds me of the Barnstonworth United training scene from Ripping Yarns.
Right at the end it's
"Goodbye shorts. Hello football!!"

‘Eight, one. Eight bloody one’

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2022, 12:33:30 PM »
At my age you would think i would know better but I keep promising myself I will not get up in the middle of the night to watch another insipid display, and yet somehow I always wake up fifteen minutes before kick off and of course I put the kettle on.
the walk to the beer fridge is quicker and easier and means I don’t have to fk about with cups, boiling  the kettle, teabags, waiting, putting teabags in the bin….

Offline supertom

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2022, 12:58:00 PM »
I've felt this on average 26 weeks a year for the last 25 years.
I quit too.

I'll also be back next season with tail between legs, ready for another thunderblast up the harris with the pneumatic drill that is AVFC. Football in general is a shithouse cesspit right now, personified by corruption, greed and unprecedented player power (about to have another dangerous shift thanks to PSG/Mbappe). We are perennially unable to take a step forward without taking at least two back. We don't do consistency. We struggle to ever find the formula for pass and move (we get given lessons in it by teams we often think are beneath us, season upon season). Occasionally we get brisk counter attacking right, but not enough of late. We've had bright spots certainly, like that kid with the stupid boys sized shin pads lighting the pitch, to that new Brazilian lad who is clearly too good to be here, but also too unfit to be anywhere else.

Painful, turgid, the bad still outweighs the good on average. But bring it on. As per all too fucking often...I'm dangerously optimistic about next season. I mean European qualification beckons surely? As does attractive football and even more marquee signings.

I shall be spoiling my jovial mood this afternoon sitting on the drill and watching us get, in 99.99% liklihood, destroyed by Man City. We are but a bed, and they are a perching Amber Heard, squatting in readiness.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 01:00:08 PM by supertom »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2022, 01:07:26 PM »
We are but a bed, and they are a perching Amber Heard, squatting in readiness.
I'd probably watch

Offline supertom

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2022, 01:11:40 PM »
I'd probably watch
If you've been watching the team all season, you'll watch anything mate.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2022, 01:15:06 PM »
I'd probably watch
If you've been watching the team all season, you'll watch anything mate.
true - we're all far too accustomed to watching piles of shite

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2022, 01:17:18 PM »
I've felt this on average 26 weeks a year for the last 25 years.
I quit too.

I'll also be back next season with tail between legs, ready for another thunderblast up the harris with the pneumatic drill that is AVFC. Football in general is a shithouse cesspit right now, personified by corruption, greed and unprecedented player power (about to have another dangerous shift thanks to PSG/Mbappe). We are perennially unable to take a step forward without taking at least two back. We don't do consistency. We struggle to ever find the formula for pass and move (we get given lessons in it by teams we often think are beneath us, season upon season). Occasionally we get brisk counter attacking right, but not enough of late. We've had bright spots certainly, like that kid with the stupid boys sized shin pads lighting the pitch, to that new Brazilian lad who is clearly too good to be here, but also too unfit to be anywhere else.

Painful, turgid, the bad still outweighs the good on average. But bring it on. As per all too fucking often...I'm dangerously optimistic about next season. I mean European qualification beckons surely? As does attractive football and even more marquee signings.

I shall be spoiling my jovial mood this afternoon sitting on the drill and watching us get, in 99.99% liklihood, destroyed by Man City. We are but a bed, and they are a perching Amber Heard, squatting in readiness.

Belter of a post and brilliant final line 😂

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2022, 01:29:56 PM »
You spend years wondering why you bother and then we have a day like promotion day at Wembley and you remember why, and the years of perseverance are all worth it.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2022, 01:38:51 PM »
You spend years wondering why you bother and then we have a day like promotion day at Wembley and you remember why, and the years of perseverance are all worth it.
when we win our next trophy, the fans that have suffered the mediocrity, more often than not over the past 40 years will go bat shit crazy

Online German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2022, 01:40:45 PM »
I genuinely don't really care any more. I mean, I'm a fan of the Villa of course and I want us to win and progress and all... I'm interested in our tactics, formations and signings. But, other than that, I can't muster the interest I once did. I couldn't give a fuck about any other teams or their players and I'd struggle to name more than ten PL managers. The top leagues are so blatently biased in favour of the richest clubs, that there really isn't any sense of competition left. And without that, there isn't really any point to most sports. But it doesn't bother me to the extent I might take up golf. I still watch online and at VP, if I happen to be around. It's a nice feeling not to be so emotionally involved, to be honest.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2022, 01:42:52 PM »
If I don't enjoy the games any more then I switch it off - something I'd never have done in years gone by

Offline cumbriavilla

« Reply #116 on: May 23, 2022, 07:57:21 AM »
Money has ruined the game - plain and simple. I have been a Villa fan for nearly 50 years and been fortunate to see us win 2 league cups. I moved away from the midland around 30 years ago, so haven't had the chance to get to as many games - last Villa game I saw was in the Championship.

This season I have been to around half a dozen Carlisle United games (where I now live) and have loved it. OK, you aren't going to get world class footballing skills but you get proper football where most of the time the better team wins. No VAR too. Most league two players earn good (but not stupid) money (around £40k - £60k PER YEAR). The players live in the area and you quite often see them shopping in the local supermarket.

I hate the way that money has taken over the game. It's become a just another form of visual entertainment for the consumption of 'fans' worldwide. It's a homogenised product in a sterilised package.

I urge everyone who is disillusioned with the PL to go and see a lower league game - for me it was like going back to my youth at Villa Park - standing on the terraces again - which I can at Carlisle. Plus it feels good that my £16 ticket money is not lining the pockets of millionaires.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 08:43:10 AM by cumbriavilla »

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #117 on: May 23, 2022, 08:33:10 AM »
Money has ruined the game - plain and simple. I have been a Villa fan for nearly 50 years and been fortunate to see us win 2 league cups. I moved away from the midland around 30 years ago, so haven't had the chance to get to as many games - last Villa game I saw was in the Championship.

This season I have been to around half a dozen Carlisle United games (where I now live) and have loved it. OK, you aren't going to get world class footballing skills but you get proper football where most of the time the better team wins. No VAR too. Most league two players earn good (but not stupid) money (around £40 - £60k PER YEAR). The players live in the area and you quite often see them shopping in the local supermarket.

I hate the way that money has taken over the game. It's become a just another form of visual entertainment for the consumption of 'fans' worldwide. It's a homogenised product in a sterilised package.

I urge everyone who is disillusioned with the PL to go and see a lower league game - for me it was like going back to my youth at Villa Park - standing on the terraces again - which I can at Carlisle. Plus it feels good that my £16 ticket money is not lining the pockets of millionaires.
nope it's Villa for me or nobody else

Offline PhilVill

• Centre Right, but nice with it 😉😙
« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2022, 08:36:14 AM »
Ahhh, it's not the game it used to be, that's for sure and Sky do my head in with their big team love ins but still be there next season moaning and slagging off players and management, praying for a top 8 finish.

As for golf, I love it and as I'm up in God's County, have some stunners up here to play. Anything but a rich man's sport up here and even more so in Scotland.

Golf, footy and drink, cheers!

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2022, 08:44:33 AM »
Watching the coverage yesterday bought home how empty and souless constant success is. Shots of nervous Stockport fans? Winners in 4 times in the last 5 years and likely to be in the mix next year so why the nerves, it's utter bullshit. Stories from the ground about fans leaving early says it all, it becomes meaningless and once you strip the game of emotion you have nothing.

Look at Forest, you could feel the tension as they tried to get to the PO final after failing so many times, no Wembley appearance for however long, it means so much to the club and fans and this is what thrills us, the hope and desire for success. When it's guaranteed you have nothing.

I never, ever want to feel like that about football.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal