collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1  (Read 15792 times)

Offline nigel

Re: Post match thread. Villa 1 Burnley 1
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2022, 07:06:09 AM »
Chucky 4/10? I hope not...

About right, he did nothing of note, looked miles off the required standard.

For all the hype, when has he?

Never.

He looked like a boy playing against men.

He is. He shows glimpses every game, and will get better. Hopefully while still an Aston Villa player. This desperation by some to write off an eighteen year old is fucking weird.

Agree, he will definitely get better.
I think some would prefer him to be running round like a headless chicken so it looks like he’s doing a lot.

To me he just seemed a touch overawed, and against Burnley he’s never going to out muscle them.
Thought he started the second half really well, too. Maybe, Gerrard told him he was going to make the change, so relax and just play without fear

Offline sid1964

« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2022, 07:07:41 AM »
Awful 1st half, 2nd half a bit better, Pope did well for them and was the Man of Match, for us I thought both our full backs and Buendia played well, and were our most creative attacking idea.

If Beale is off to manage Charlton, and he is considered to be the tactical brains of our football team, I think that Steven needs to appoint a top coach in the Summer.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2022, 07:28:18 AM »
I thought it was an entertaining game against horrible anti-football opponents. We did more than enough to win it and were comfortably the better side. My glass is half-full. With the exception of the Spurs second half we never look like we’re going to get spanked these days. The margins are fine. A bit more quality or composure in front of goal and we could easily have had 7-9 points from these three home games.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2022, 07:36:17 AM »
Chucky 4/10? I hope not...

About right, he did nothing of note, looked miles off the required standard.

For all the hype, when has he?

Never.

He looked like a boy playing against men.

Totally unconvincing.

He's learning. There's a decent player in there he's just off the pace a bit with his reading of the game. Ramsey was very similar when he started off too.

I think next season he'll be much better, and I'd guess if he's starting, Gerrard must have seen him do well in training, as that's why he says players get picked.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2022, 07:44:33 AM »
Thought we played ok in patches but overall we didn't show enough urgency. That said, their keeper kept them in it.

McGinn was decent, especially in the first half. Chucky was very quiet and didn't offer much but like someone said on his thread, he's 18, cut the kid some slack. He'll have games like that at his age, just like Ramsey did.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2022, 07:54:41 AM »
I missed the first half then had the strange experience, rather than being at the game, of watching the 2nd half in a pub in Newcastle, where everyone seemed to be off their tits and i was the only one in the whole place watching the game.
Maybe it was that slightly abstract experience that i felt a bit more detached than normal when watching villa.
Anyway i thought we played really well for the most part and dominated the second half apart from that chance with the unreal Mings clearance. I think someone else mentioned the cutting edge and Popes performance and think thats probably right.
I think a lot of people on this thread seem to be reviewing the season rather than just the game.
I might be delusional but with Beundia and Coutinhio in the same team, i pretty excited about next year.

Online Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2022, 08:11:42 AM »
Any idea what all the commotion was in the upper Holte, first half? There were a lot of people standing up, looking at something, and some were calling for stewards to get up there

Offline Villan82

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2022, 08:13:06 AM »
Since opening say away at Watford it has been a big let down.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2022, 08:23:22 AM »
Pope kept us out if it wasn't for that we would have beat them.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:56 AM »
Pope has kept them up I reckon.  I enjoyed it, we played well, some of the crossing was poor and we need to be more ruthless, but their keeper being MOTM says it all.  And Kudos to Tyrone, amazing block (and decent save from Emi just before it too)

I hope they do stay up in a way, because they will finally flush next season for sure.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2022, 08:50:10 AM »
I actually thought it was a decent game.  Given it was a dead rubber for us I thought we showed plenty of intent and effort right to the final whistle.  We had loads of shots on goal and Pope made some excellent saves.

I thought McGinn was excellent again and Dign very dangerous down the left.  Signing Chambers really was an excellent piece of business.  Finishing and composure in the box let us down again, but the stats and Popes saves tell the story.

Chuk tried to keep things simple, probably too simple and was entirely ineffective.  Bert did more in his first 5 minutes than Chuk dod all game, but equally he gave the ball away 3 times in that time too.

Overall I was dissaointed not to take 3 points but pretty pleased with the effort and intent.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2022, 08:56:24 AM »
I agree with Chris. I've enjoyed the last few games.... Unlike in the dark days of the Gabby/Micah/Bruce years, at least we're seeing effort under Gerrard.

What we're lacking is quality - This is fixable with a few key additions.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2022, 08:59:52 AM »
Since Leicester I have been pretty happy with it - I think we have looked good without ever really clicking

As you say one or two new signings will make a big difference as we’re not a million miles away

It feels different under SG in that under dean we were either excellent or useless - we do seem more consistent under SG but we’re still less than the sum of our parts.  Again hopefully those additions will help

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:36 AM »
A non game for us and it showed 1st half. Better 2nd with the changes. SG has a lot of work to do this summer.
Love that the M6 was closed just after the match.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2022, 09:08:11 AM »
Agree that we are looking more solid and some world class goalkeeping has probably cost us 4 points...

My comment above was more a comment on the season not meeting expectations overall.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal