collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:16:08 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mediocrity.  (Read 13254 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Mediocrity.
« Reply #135 on: May 22, 2022, 07:51:50 PM »
But they weren't 2-0 up. And they got battered, 5. In fact they conceded a few goals after 90 minutes, so yes there is a different context. They were shite and weren't playing against the best side in the country in their most important game of the season.

O.k West Ham then, 2 up last week and scrambled to a 2-2 at least (I know mainly down to Mahrez).

Can't see us finishing above Newcastle tbh with the momentum they have now next season.

We simply must be closer to likes of Wolves, Leicester and West Ham though.

Offline danno

« Reply #136 on: May 22, 2022, 07:56:17 PM »
Two goals clear with not long left, away from home in a game with so much riding on it and then a dramatic collapse.
No not us! Man City a few weeks ago against Real Madrid.

Its football it happens, and to much better sides than us.

Offline wince

« Reply #137 on: May 22, 2022, 08:35:24 PM »
Two goals clear with not long left, away from home in a game with so much riding on it and then a dramatic collapse.
No not us! Man City a few weeks ago against Real Madrid.

Its football it happens, and to much better sides than us.
This. Need some perspective. Nobody is saying it wasn’t shit but we just don’t have the quality the likes of oil fc have.

Offline mr-villa

« Reply #138 on: May 22, 2022, 08:44:41 PM »
We need a bit of perspective, Leicester finished in 8th 7 points ahead of us which are the four points we just dropped at home against both Palace and Burnley this past week and one win against relegated Watford.  Hardly a massive gap to bridge in my opinion.
Modify message

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2022, 08:35:47 AM »
I hate to say this, but being honest, we've been mediocre for way more than ten years. More like thirty. Not that I care, but I think the general public's consensus of Villa would be a middling, do-nothing club, because a whole generation has grown up with us being also-rans. I'm not sure how to change that.

Saying that, in this timeframe we've lost more cup finals than some clubs will see forth-rounds.
Not 30 years but close. 1996 was a very competitive season end for us. Won the League cup, semi final of the FA cup and 4th place in the League. it was the "love it" season but after that Doug decided to prune us down a little like his roses and restricted the fertiliser and here we are.

Brian Little would tell you that the money was there, he just bought the wrong players. I think history has shown that the big mistake was appointing John Gregory; however well you may or may not have thought he did, a bit more imagination from all concerned could have been massive.

Gregory was fine for first 18 months. Was in danger of getting sacked when we had that poor run in early 1999 season but then we responded with incredible run of form that should've got us to two cup finals and also a solid league position.

At the start he thought big with the signings but mistake was giving him a new contract just before the cup final (reminds me of Arteta getting one and Arsenal immediately implode to miss out on top 4).

Should've waited and perhaps we could've still kicked on after the trauma of the Chelsea match with new manager and group of players. Instead we've never recovered at all from losing that game.

22 years today btw, a few 6th place finishes is all we've mustered in the league since then and two cup finals.

I always thought Gregory's downfall was post cup final when he got rather preoccupied in fighting with Ellis (the infamous time warp comments).  Love him or loathe him, there was only ever going to be one winner of that battle.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2022, 05:01:13 AM »
The Football Club is being used by Purslow to achieve his own personal desires. Bringing in Steven and he looked like a child in a sweetshop when he announced Philipe to the "most dedicated of our supporters" at the awards night.

what do you want him to do? look like a miserable bastard?
Don’t bother mate he is trolling harder than a limp bizkit tribute act

“Keep trollin, trollin, trollin, trolling. Keep trollin, trollin, trollin, trolling.”

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal