collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-3 Leeds United Post Match Thread  (Read 18503 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Aston Villa 3-3 Leeds United Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: February 11, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »
Re 4, did Watkins mean to do that - drag defenders with him to leave the space for JJ? I think he was just after the pass, himself, tbh. Looked jealous when the goal went in, too.
It's academic really, for our third goal he made a good run.  He could either recieve the ball or open space.  In that instance it opened space brilliantly.  The first two goals, I can't see his involvement all, other than existing on the pitch which is not a tricky skill.

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #226 on: February 11, 2022, 01:41:38 PM »
Re 4, did Watkins mean to do that - drag defenders with him to leave the space for JJ? I think he was just after the pass, himself, tbh. Looked jealous when the goal went in, too.
It's academic really, for our third goal he made a good run.  He could either recieve the ball or open space.  In that instance it opened space brilliantly.  The first two goals, I can't see his involvement all, other than existing on the pitch which is not a tricky skill.

Exactly, it was a good run.  The 'easy' or 'selfish' run is the straight one towards goal, to wait for a perfectly-paced ball to be played in front of you in the direction of the goal and chase it.  Diagonal runs are much more difficult to mark (so you might find yourself with a bit more space) but they also create space for others.  I have no doubt he started that run hoping for the ball to be played to him, but a lazier forward doesn't make that run hoping for an easier chance for himself (but relies on a much more difficult pass from midfield).

I think it bodes really well for us that when Phil gets the ball in a more central midfield position, Watkins and JJ are both on their bikes immediately, giving good options in anticipation they'll be found.  And we've the pace of Bailey to introduce as well, which will be a brilliant option for someone who can pass like Phil.

Offline The Charmer

« Reply #227 on: February 11, 2022, 03:00:49 PM »
A few points to make on the comments in this thread.
1. Leeds were good. They were good against the Hammers and they were good against us - a great improvement on earlier in the season, even without key players; so it's not a case of why can't we beat a team so low in the table.
2. Leeds scored one quality goal (the first) - the other two were the result of fortuitous bounces, deflections or clearances. Our goals were all absolute class (I know they all count the same).
3. For all the criticism on here of Mings, he cleared brilliantly off the line, cleared more than one dangerous shot over our bar, had a couple of very good chances to score himself. and showed good ability in the attacking third (yes I know he's a defender). He was a bit stranded in the move leading to the first goal, can't be blamed for their second which was very lucky/unlucky and was also unlucky his clearance for their third went straight to a Leeds player.
4. Having watched MOTD, an interesting point was made by Dion Dublin, where he logically singled out Coutinho and Ramsey but also the way Ollie was key to their success, with runs which created the space for the first two to work in. Worth a mention as Ollie has been getting a lot of stick on here.
Just a few of my thoughts to respond to some of the scathing comments about our performance in general and some of our players in particular.

Well said Martyn  -  Quality post.
I think Ollie is suffering a touch of 'difficult second album' syndrome in some ways but I'm afraid some posters on here won't be happy until they've hounded him out of the club.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #228 on: February 11, 2022, 03:19:31 PM »
How are posters on here going to hound him out of the club?
Are you suggesting there are a bunch of Beagle owning fans that will arrange a meet at Bodymoor Heath?

Tally ho

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal