collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Calum Chambers -signed  (Read 41517 times)

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
Re: Calum Chambers -signed
« Reply #120 on: January 28, 2022, 09:28:58 AM »
I think it's a brilliant bit of business.  Decent player, good age, covers a few positions we are short in.  It also shows we have some real smart cookies working behind the scenes for us - got the business done with the minimum of fuss, when you would imagine that if it became public then there would have been a lot more interest.  I would imagine Newcastle for one would have been very interested had they been aware he was available.
Agree with some of this but his agent would have made Newcastle well aware of his availability if he had any interest in going there.
Not sure, it sounds like we're pretty much 'on it' as far as that's concerned:
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/calum-chambers-aston-villa-transfer-26071230

Included among them was Ings’ own family, with the striker banned from informing them until the deal was confirmed.

“I’ve been at a lot of places in my career but this was definitely the best-kept secret,” the Englishman told Villa TV after his move.

“It has been a crazy couple of days. I wasn’t able to tell my family until it was announced. Now I am just happy to be here and get started.

“It’s hard to explain (what moments like this) are like. I am very close with my dad. Not being able to tell him during the process was probably the toughest thing ever.

“I told him on the way up on Wednesday night and he is excited. He is looking forward to seeing me hopefully grow at this club.

“My family have always followed me. This is a new part of the country I will be living in but I am looking forward to it.”

That's relating to Danny Ings, but it feels like that might just be the way we do business now, and could imagine it might also apply to agents as well.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #121 on: January 28, 2022, 09:47:09 AM »
To be brutally honest, I cant say I’ve ever heard of him, or if I have then it hasn’t stuck with me.

But whatever, ……...welcome

Same here.
this too. But I do have a Fulham supporting mate who has told me this: Hard to tell he was on loan and thrown into a shit defence that was relegated and conceded over Sixty goals… good squad player to have

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #122 on: January 28, 2022, 09:56:07 AM »
To be brutally honest, I cant say I’ve ever heard of him, or if I have then it hasn’t stuck with me.

But whatever, ……...welcome

Same here.
this too. But I do have a Fulham supporting mate who has told me this: Hard to tell he was on loan and thrown into a shit defence that was relegated and conceded over Sixty goals… good squad player to have

Yeah me neither. When I saw the name, I thought "ooh another promising youngster".

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #123 on: January 28, 2022, 09:59:47 AM »
TBH, I had to look him up!  Then this morning when I woke up I couldn't remember his surname but that says more about me than it does him.  I wish him all the best here.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #124 on: January 28, 2022, 10:06:18 AM »
Colin Calderwood type of signing.  Should give decent cover in a couple of positions.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #125 on: January 28, 2022, 10:07:35 AM »
I remember when Arsenal signed him, it was quite a lot of money for a 19-year-old defender (can't remember how much), and it felt like he was just the latest one off the production line at Southampton following the likes of Bale, Walcott, Oxlade Chamberlain as the next bright young thing.

He's clearly never established himself in Arsenal's backline, so I don't expect he's come here expecting to replace Ty or Ezri, but he's a useful back and with Axel gone we're now back up to 4 senior central defenders, which is how it should be.

For me it's a good, if not spectacular signing.  If everyone stays fit, in reasonable form and avoids suspension, I'll be surprised if we see much of him in claret and blue this season.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #126 on: January 28, 2022, 10:12:43 AM »
I had completely forget that he existed, which is some going considering he scored against us a couple of years ago.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #127 on: January 28, 2022, 10:42:45 AM »
It's great we have signed him on a free and he can cover a couple of positions.

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #128 on: January 28, 2022, 10:58:53 AM »
Good signing is this - competition and cover situation definitely beginning to move in the right direction.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2022, 12:19:30 PM »
Hard to get too excited about signing a 3rd / 4th choice defender, but impressively efficient from the club nonetheless. Know very little about him, hopefully he can perform when needed.

Get the defensive midfielder in and this will have been an incredible window.

Maybe he is the defensive midfielder, isn't that where he played for Fulham?

Offline Clive W

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2022, 12:22:13 PM »
Hard to get too excited about signing a 3rd / 4th choice defender, but impressively efficient from the club nonetheless. Know very little about him, hopefully he can perform when needed.

Get the defensive midfielder in and this will have been an incredible window.

According to the DT he can play CB, RB or DM

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #131 on: January 28, 2022, 12:35:43 PM »

* Nervous laughter *

Offline charlatan

« Reply #132 on: January 28, 2022, 01:09:46 PM »
Colin Calderwood type of signing.  Should give decent cover in a couple of positions.

A couple of mentions of Calderwood, but he was 34 when he signed for Villa. Tiler otoh was 25.

Offline stubbsyandy

« Reply #133 on: January 28, 2022, 02:39:09 PM »
Over 150 Premier appearances plus European, only 27 yrs old and versatile…good addition to the squad I reckon. Welcome to Villa!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #134 on: January 28, 2022, 02:51:55 PM »
Over 150 Premier appearances plus European, only 27 yrs old and versatile…good addition to the squad I reckon. Welcome to Villa!
And played for England at every age level.  Obviously lost his way a bit, but a fesh start is probably what he needs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal