collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Calum Chambers -signed  (Read 41481 times)

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
Re: Calum Chambers -signed
« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2022, 08:35:31 AM »
Well...…..I suppose he's free.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2022, 08:43:37 AM »
Was a bit underwhelmed at first but does make a lot of sense. 

Gerrard wanted 4 centre backs and I'm sure we all back Konsa to be No 1 for a few years to come, so realistically we were never looking for a wow signing in this position.  So he adds depth to the squad, decent cover and is versatile in an emergency. 

In a best case scenerio when he gets his chance he rediscovers his form from his early years and provides genuine competition as well cover.

I want Kessler to be our back up right back though, I don't see how Chambers could cover the progressive fullback role we would need for our style of play.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2022, 08:46:45 AM »
reminds me of a favorite player of mine...an Earl Barrett type of signing, can play across the back 4 and even in midfield if needed :)

Welcome Calum

UTV
The Doc
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 08:52:39 AM by Dr Butler »

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2022, 08:49:12 AM »
I think it's a brilliant bit of business.  Decent player, good age, covers a few positions we are short in.  It also shows we have some real smart cookies working behind the scenes for us - got the business done with the minimum of fuss, when you would imagine that if it became public then there would have been a lot more interest.  I would imagine Newcastle for one would have been very interested had they been aware he was available.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2022, 08:51:04 AM »
Way I see it, up until this season he was playing 25-30 games a season for Arsenal.  Maybe not a first team regular, but good enough to be a squad player in a top 6-8 team.  Presumably the scouting team have done their homework - maybe they've seen something that Arsenal haven't picked up on.  Wouldn't be the first time.

It also shows we have some real smart cookies working behind the scenes for us - got the business done with the minimum of fuss, when you would imagine that if it became public then there would have been a lot more interest.  I would imagine Newcastle for one would have been very interested had they been aware he was available.
Agree completely.  He's not a spectacular signing, but on a free, or near enough, you could imagine a fair few clubs would've been after him if they knew he might be available.  Newcastle being the really obvious one.

Online Exeter 77

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2022, 08:52:21 AM »
I would imagine Newcastle for one would have been very interested had they been aware he was available.
Possibly not as a full back because they had already signed Trippier.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2022, 08:57:34 AM »
I think it's a brilliant bit of business.  Decent player, good age, covers a few positions we are short in.  It also shows we have some real smart cookies working behind the scenes for us - got the business done with the minimum of fuss, when you would imagine that if it became public then there would have been a lot more interest.  I would imagine Newcastle for one would have been very interested had they been aware he was available.
Agree with some of this but his agent would have made Newcastle well aware of his availability if he had any interest in going there.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2022, 08:57:47 AM »
I get the cover arguments, the good value etc.. I just don't think he's very good imho.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2022, 09:01:07 AM »
He is a very energetic and committed player, works hard and is capable of playing in a few positions.
I really can not see the downside.

Offline Ivo Stas

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2022, 09:03:58 AM »
A Carl Tiler for the YouTube generation.

I see your Carl Tiler and I raise you a Colin Calderwood.

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #115 on: January 28, 2022, 09:07:37 AM »
There was a game when he came on for Arsenal last season where he gifted the opposition 2 goals - a masterclass in buffoonery although I think he was playing fullback - It was hard to tell. Mr Gerrard's call I guess - cover at a decent price, but I don't think any of our current players 1st team or reserves will be losing much sleep on losing their place in the pecking order.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2022, 09:13:36 AM »
Aston Rangers FC.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2022, 09:18:13 AM »
I get the cover arguments, the good value etc.. I just don't think he's very good imho.
If he was very good he wouldn't be coming in as a back up player.  He's probably on a level with Hause, who most of us think is a valuable member of the squad.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2022, 09:20:24 AM »
As we are going retro on our centre half signings, maybe he will be the new Steve Simms

Offline sickbeggar

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2022, 09:21:58 AM »
If he was very good he wouldn't be coming in as a back up player.  He's probably on a level with Hause, who most of us think is a valuable member of the squad.

Personally I think Hause is far superior but that's just my view. We shall see.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal