collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Calum Chambers -signed  (Read 42315 times)

Offline Goldenballs

Re: Calum Chambers -signed
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2022, 09:07:01 PM »
Decent enough signing as a back up. Is he right footed?

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2022, 09:11:13 PM »
Who is he blocking? As it stood we only had a left footed CB covering for Konsa. And HKK may go back out on loan but even if he stayed he’s still in with a good shot at being the back up to Cash.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2022, 09:11:48 PM »
A tam in our position is never going to get a better experienced fourth-choice to play anywhere.

Not sure I agree with that Dave. Last season's players player of the year Matt Target is now back up after a largely poor 6 months. Bailey is now having to fight Coutinho and Bunedia for a place having come in for £30m plus in the summer and we're pushing for a Juve starter to force Dougie Luiz to fight for his place. We've shown in this transfer window alone that it can be done in terms of significant upgrades.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2022, 09:24:49 PM »
Who is he blocking? As it stood we only had a left footed CB covering for Konsa. And HKK may go back out on loan but even if he stayed he’s still in with a good shot at being the back up to Cash.

Bogarde is a right footed centre back, no? Kesler at right back. We're not in Europe or any major cup competitions this season, so why not throw them in to see how good they are if we need to. Chambers at 27 seems a strange signing to me. The other business we've done I get; ready to go, established first teamers who upgrade what we've got and increase the competition.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #64 on: January 27, 2022, 09:25:50 PM »
Its amazing how some of these transfers you do not hear a whisper from anywhere

Offline supertom

« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2022, 09:26:47 PM »
Think it's a good signing. He's a decent player. He can also provide cover in the middle and for Cash. He's an upgrade on Tuanzebe and on form should be pushing the first choice pair. Arsenal have been a mess for a few years, and like a few players he's probably not hit the heights expected, certainly from 2-3 years ago when he was expected to be an England regular. I'm actually amazed he was at Arsenal that long. Time flies.

It's very surprising. Out of the blue, and I think we've done well there. Our last Arsenal signing wasn't too shabby either.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2022, 09:28:08 PM »
A tam in our position is never going to get a better experienced fourth-choice to play anywhere.

Not sure I agree with that Dave. Last season's players player of the year Matt Target is now back up after a largely poor 6 months. Bailey is now having to fight Coutinho and Bunedia for a place having come in for £30m plus in the summer and we're pushing for a Juve starter to force Dougie Luiz to fight for his place. We've shown in this transfer window alone that it can be done in terms of significant upgrades.

None of those players were signed as cover.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2022, 09:29:27 PM »
From an Arsenal supporting friend:

He's a good lad, a great utility player. Not great in any position and probably won't start for us but will be good for squad depth. For even the £2m reported he will easily outplay that price tag.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #68 on: January 27, 2022, 09:30:11 PM »
Just the kind of signing we needed to put pressure on our CBs for their position...or something.

If it's reserve Arsenal CBs we were after, I'd have much preferred Rob Holding.
Glad you're not in charge of our transfer strategy, Holding is utter Blues.
Welcome Calum.

Have you seen this guy, Chambers play? He's absolute shite and then some. Welcome Callum!

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #69 on: January 27, 2022, 09:32:58 PM »
Think it's a good signing. He's a decent player. He can also provide cover in the middle and for Cash. He's an upgrade on Tuanzebe and on form should be pushing the first choice pair. Arsenal have been a mess for a few years, and like a few players he's probably not hit the heights expected, certainly from 2-3 years ago when he was expected to be an England regular. I'm actually amazed he was at Arsenal that long. Time flies.

It's very surprising. Out of the blue, and I think we've done well there. Our last Arsenal signing wasn't too shabby either.
How funny would it be if it turns out that he’s actually really good and they’ve sold us another top quality player, this time for some loose change we found down the back of the sofa.

Have to get Lange to go down there again and say we’ll take Smith-Rowe off their hands if they give us £20m.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2022, 09:37:09 PM »
I can't believe he's still only 27! He seems to have been around a very long time. Not sure what people expect from a fourth choice in his position at this stage of the club's development. Hopefully he'll turn out to be an astute signing.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2022, 09:37:26 PM »

Depends how you look it. Bailey has now become cover because we've got Coutinho in. Targett is now cover because he has a better player (for my money) in front of him. Gerrard's mantra seems to be about raising standards we're everyone has to fight for their place because there is quality in direct competition. If Bentacour comes in, that'll be another example of that.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #72 on: January 27, 2022, 09:40:49 PM »
I didn't see this coming great business welcome to Aston Villa Calum.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2022, 09:42:24 PM »

Depends how you look it. Bailey has now become cover because we've got Coutinho in. Targett is now cover because he has a better player (for my money) in front of him. Gerrard's mantra seems to be about raising standards we're everyone has to fight for their place because there is quality in direct competition. If Bentacour comes in, that'll be another example of that.

Exactly - they're cover now, not when they were signed. Chambers looks to be an upgrade on Tuanzebe and will do for a year or so until we see how the Academy defenders are doibng.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #74 on: January 27, 2022, 09:44:26 PM »
Seems like good cover to me. Sensible enough signing, and low risk. He might end up doing very well for us, but if he doesn't, it won't be the end of the world.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal