collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread  (Read 22283 times)

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
Re: Everton 0 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2022, 03:50:18 PM »
Result aside, that was a rotten performance. Two really poor teams. Everton have to be in real danger of going down. Cash shut down Gray really well, Digne was very good. Konsa and Luiz solid. After that, individually and collectively poor. How McGinn lasted 96 mins is a mystery.

Martinez 6 - very little to do
Cash 7 - shut down Gray really well, liked his cynical yellow that McGinn was at fault for
Konsa 7 - solid as always
Mings 5 - so many mistakes and poor decisions
Digne 7 - to be fair, he does look an improvement on Targett
Luiz 7 - solid performance in front of back 4
Ramsey 6 - some very good moments in first half but quiet in second half
McGinn 3 - rubbish
coutinho 5 - some nice touches in first half, no impact in second
Buendia 6 - see Countinho but got the goal
Watkins 4 - gets into good positions but again wasted pretty much every opportunity. His first touch is rotten.

Chucky and Ings hardly got a kick. Hause at least won a few headers. Gerrard was far too slow to make changes and very fortunate not to pay the price.

Some really harsh scores!

Mings 5 for keeping a clean sheet.

Not McGinn's best game but a 3.

That's ridiculous.
It's the same every week from him. Attention seeking.

I'm just amazed he didn't give El Ghazi a 9.  ;) Over the years I generally find myself agreeing with Bronte but his match rating are his weakest posts.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2022, 03:51:25 PM »
For those who are slating our captain, here are the ratings from the B'ham Mail:

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/aston-villa-player-ratings-everton-22840628

I wouldn't have made him Motm and there were a few sloppy moments but his leadership, determination and resilience are vital in games like this.

I think that's about fair, Digne, Cash, Mings and Buendia were the 4 I had in the running for motm and I couldn't really understand why so many people were criticising Mings on the match thread.

Some things never change. Have to ignore or keep trying to explain to them but they just want to critics him unecessary
Mings seems to be judged different standards more than other players by some.
He's fantastic in my eyes and was again today.
I love the way he comes into any melees and basically opposing players back down when they see him. He's very fair in calming players and basically puts an arm round them like he's generally the biggest player on the pitch so every one does what he says.

What we all probably enjoyed though a bit naughty was when he tossed Richarlsion aside.

Offline Havencheese

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2022, 03:54:39 PM »
Not exactly one to remember but with three precious points it was ultimately deserved. Was great to see Gerrard smugly waltz across the pitch at the end, have some relegation you miserable, missile throwing bastards. The victim blaming commentators alike, poor form.

Online Allan C

« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2022, 03:55:05 PM »
Result aside, that was a rotten performance. Two really poor teams. Everton have to be in real danger of going down. Cash shut down Gray really well, Digne was very good. Konsa and Luiz solid. After that, individually and collectively poor. How McGinn lasted 96 mins is a mystery.

Martinez 6 - very little to do
Cash 7 - shut down Gray really well, liked his cynical yellow that McGinn was at fault for
Konsa 7 - solid as always
Mings 5 - so many mistakes and poor decisions
Digne 7 - to be fair, he does look an improvement on Targett
Luiz 7 - solid performance in front of back 4
Ramsey 6 - some very good moments in first half but quiet in second half
McGinn 3 - rubbish
coutinho 5 - some nice touches in first half, no impact in second
Buendia 6 - see Countinho but got the goal
Watkins 4 - gets into good positions but again wasted pretty much every opportunity. His first touch is rotten.

Chucky and Ings hardly got a kick. Hause at least won a few headers. Gerrard was far too slow to make changes and very fortunate not to pay the price.

Some really harsh scores!

Mings 5 for keeping a clean sheet.

Not McGinn's best game but a 3.

That's ridiculous.
It's the same every week from him. Attention seeking.
Blimey there's some tough marking here!
Agreed, I’d have gone with a 5 for McGinn and at least a 6 for Mings, Buendia was worthy of a 7 for me too

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2022, 03:55:57 PM »
The Countinho song is class!

What is the Coutinho song?

Crap.

? Oddball.

He went to Barca and won the league in Spain
He went to Munich and won the league again
He's fucking magic
And don't you fucking know
His name Philippe
Philippe Countinho!

Together with excessive bouncing about. To the tune of Salt n Pepper Push It.

Thought it was a very noisy affair from our lot, in stark contrast to the absolute shite that their fans are. Clothes honk of pyro though. Grim.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2022, 03:56:45 PM »
And may I add on Mings he nearkyvhad a couple of assists and excellent balls forward as well as movements up the pitch to set attacks
People never mention that do they just want to go on about how he gave away a needless corner with an sloppy right footed back pass.

Under Smith earlier in season I would think because he's such a leader he's always looking at whole picture and pitch of all his players and where they should be leads him ot distracting from his own performance.
Under Gerrard
His mistakes still happens now  on occasions because he assumes so much responsibility.

If anyone was asking what sort of person do you want as a captain Mings leads that not just in this team but in the league.
He's a natural and we're lucky to have him so let's appreciate him some more for those who don't like his occasional mistakes remember his overall quality

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2022, 03:59:10 PM »
Mings defended well, but he carries on making silly and needless unforced errors, eg:

First half, passed it to absolutely nobody, straight for an Everton throw.
Second half, gets the ball by our goal line, tries to pass it back to Martinez but instead it goes straight out for a corner.
Also second half, in a rare bit of possession by us, he calls it for, then lofts it miles from the nearest Villa player straight back to Pickford.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2022, 04:01:36 PM »
? Oddball.

He went to Barca and won the league in Spain
He went to Munich and won the league again
He's fucking magic
And don't you fucking know
His name Philippe
Philippe Countinho!

Together with excessive bouncing about. To the tune of Salt n Pepper Push It.

Too much unnecessary swearing, not one for the kids.
Saw the mad bouncing around, 5 minutes after the end and wondered what the hell was going on. It looked brilliant fun.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2022, 04:04:39 PM »
This win is a great start to watching weekend football. And it's always good to finish well when a break starts. Can't wait for Leeds home sometimes in the next millennium.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 11:30:43 PM by Footy-Vill »

Online RichardBatchelor

« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2022, 04:06:30 PM »
Quote from Tyrone Mings post-match

Aston Villa's Tyrone Mings on Match of the Day: "This is a very proud club and they have obviously been going through a difficult patch, we knew the change of manager would give them a bit of inspiration and the only way they could hurt us really is if we let them play to the crowd's hand.

"The first half was pleasing, managing to diffuse that. It wasn't the greatest football game but was a pleasure to be here and win. They had to come out and try and win the game, we had to be aware the game was going to change, stand up to the challenge, show a different side to ourselves.

"We have played some excellent football and taken on board what the manager wants, but we have been a little bit soft and the only thng you can do is roll your sleeves up."

On Villa players being hit by a bottle: "They did and it was disgusting really, it is about all they have got... they tried to make it ugly, tried to make it an intimidating atmosphere and we came and got the three points. That will hopefully be dealt with but all you can do is get up and carry on."

"I am really excited, I love being a part of this club, love being captain, love everything this club stands for both on and off the pitch. I think we have made some brilliant signings, a fantastic squad. The club is going in the right direciton, we have stability, owners that want to take the club to the next level and players that want to push each other. It is a pleasure to be a part of."

What you want to hear from the captiain

Brilliant, like he was today under a fuckload of pressure

He was indeed brilliant defensively today. Poor in possession but I don’t care, he’s an inspiration.

Online caster troy

« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2022, 04:07:05 PM »
Very important 3 points, as soon as they sacked Rafa the difficulty level went up for this game. Clean sheet is a bonus, can't fault the commitment from the players even if we did struggle to get it down and play. Next few games will decide our season so this gives us a launchpad.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2022, 04:07:28 PM »
And yes Press and Media all that fuss about big Dunc take that you arseholes.  He is the perennial caretaker and I am afraid passion and intimidation doesn't work every time especially against a solid pro outfit like the Villa.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2022, 04:26:58 PM »
The draw with United and the win at Everton, who I thought named a strong side to be fair, won't have done our changes of signing targets any harm at all.  Backs to the wall in the second half but we stood up and for all their pressure, only had one shot on target, which Mings headed off the line.  In the right place at the right time, even though he made the odd rick today.  I am a bit concerned about Ollie Watkins at the moment, just not firing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal