collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go?  (Read 20729 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Should I stay or should I go?
« Reply #165 on: January 14, 2022, 03:36:06 PM »
To help with transport problems we could have a big park and ride site. There is a lot of waste land at the bottom of Coventry Road  that could be used which only needs the demolition of a few old sheds.

The cost of decontamination is the problem, and why it's been left to rot. They have the same issue with old petrol stations.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #166 on: January 14, 2022, 04:57:00 PM »
To help with transport problems we could have a big park and ride site. There is a lot of waste land at the bottom of Coventry Road  that could be used which only needs the demolition of a few old sheds.

The cost of decontamination is the problem, and why it's been left to rot. They have the same issue with old petrol stations.

Fat Bazza Fry's pish wasn't up to the daunting task of disinfection, and the site remains well poxed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/apr/25/the-knowledge-football-curses

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #167 on: January 14, 2022, 05:15:38 PM »

Fat Bazza Fry's pish wasn't up to the daunting task of disinfection, and the site remains well poxed.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/apr/25/the-knowledge-football-curses

Needs to become a sinkhole about 6 miles deep - somewhere to store their bullshit

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #168 on: January 14, 2022, 08:23:29 PM »
Another consideration:

£100m for an amazing North Stand AND continued investment in the squad v £750m on a new stadium?

It is a big ask to expect our owners to deliver both.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: January 15, 2022, 08:36:13 AM »
Another consideration:

£100m for an amazing North Stand AND continued investment in the squad v £750m on a new stadium?

It is a big ask to expect our owners to deliver both.
You're right of course but we can dream that costs nothing. I like the underpass idea but I'd do it on the Aston park side. That way the Holte and the Trinity could be squared off properly. Then the Trinity would go all the way round to met up with the Witton Lane stand. Would get us into the high 50s I reckon.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #170 on: January 15, 2022, 02:57:07 PM »
In an ideal world, we'd rebuild the ground onsite but moving it back towards Witton which would give us more width to play with.

It would be possible if we had a decent local alternative to use in the meantime, but there you go.

The alexander stadium could have done that job for a season.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #171 on: January 15, 2022, 06:14:50 PM »
One advatage to moving would be that we don't need to concern ourselves anymore with how many decades/centuries it's been since we beat the Red Scum at VP. The clock would reset with a new stadium.

Offline IFWaters

• GM : Sep, 2012
« Reply #172 on: January 16, 2022, 07:28:44 AM »
Oxford definition of a "Villa"

A large country house in its own grounds.

To me the Villa in Aston Villa IS Villa Park. Without Villa Park we aren't Villa. And without Villa Park we aren't in Aston.

By all means build a new stadium on an old industrial site and whilst we're at it rebrand it as Birmingham United as that will give us greater global appeal so all our new "fans" can relate to us.

Fuck that. Come up with a plan to expand the football ground into a ruddy great big redbrick fortress of doom. A massive citadel with sky-high stands packed to the rafters where sad soccer franchise followers come and shit themselves in front of a wall of sound.

In front of it a statue of McGregor with the inscription below "We invented it you ******, now fuck off"

Offline Chris Harte

« Reply #173 on: January 16, 2022, 09:08:13 AM »
Just a thought. I wonder how other clubs in the PL are fairing on the issue of public transport on matchdays.

Are they getting support from local infrastructure franchise holders?

Do any other clubs use Park & Ride schemes to good effect?

Oh, and in case I wasn't clear earlier on, I'm definitely a remainer on this subject.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #174 on: January 16, 2022, 08:29:32 PM »
A really interesting article.

Ill apologise now as i havent read the whole thread, so these comments may be repeated earlier.

I understand the need to expand, 18,000 waiting for a season ticket is both lost revenue, but far more importantly, its a huge group of potential lifelong Villa Park attendees not able to get into the ground, this cant be a situation that is longstanding, as it could mean a lost generation of match day supporters. Thats presuming we don’t go backwards and attendances fall.
I also understand that if we want to eventually compete with the Man City’s, Chelseas and Liverpools of this world, we need to develop on a number of fronts, not just the playing side, but the whole infra structure including the corporate side.
But saying all of that, on many threads on this site, many of us, including people commenting on this thread have bemoaned the souless corporate enterprises the likes of Man City have become. Ive been to the Etihad, lovely to look at once your inside, completely devoid of atsmophere, same as the Emirates and i could go on.
Villa Park may not be perfect and redevelopment may be fraught with the difficulties as laid out in the article. But Villa Park is our heart and sole.
I think the analogies of moving house are misplaced and similar to the Torys equating household budgets to managing the economy in their early days in power. People may be attached to their houses, but we’re talking about Villa Park that generations of us before we were born went to. I don’t  care if i’m sentimental, sometimes we’re not sentimental enough. A club like Villa, our history distinguishes from the majority of clubs in the football league and Villa Park is integral to that.
Villa Park is one of the last iconic grounds in English football and i don’t know about anyone else i love the fact that its visible from the M6.
The area has changed, the public transport is shite at the moment, but those things are open to improvement and development with political change and will.
The thought of going down to an edge of city bowl leaves me frankly empty inside.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal