collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:43:09 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:38:11 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our changing transfer policy  (Read 9798 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Our changing transfer policy
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2022, 09:29:43 PM »
Rash ford gets worse every time and see him and has done for a couple of years

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2022, 09:40:24 PM »
If we sign Luiz Suarez I would really question what was going on at Villa for short term gains and established names blocking pathways and existing players
However I don't think Suarez will be signed.
Ashley Young is great experience enough.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2022, 12:30:34 PM »
I don't mind us investing in the odd older player who'll have little resale value.  That's true of buying any 28/29 year old and giving them a 4/5 year contract.  I certainly don't think we should rule it out.

There was a period in our recent history when ALL of our big signings were in their late 20s or early 30s, probably getting their last big contract, and no one wants a return to that.

But I have absolutely no issue in signing a few older players if they're good enough to give us a decent year or two, and improve the side - particularly if we have yongster who can develop alongside them and hopefully replace them eventually.

Didn't we have the youngest squad in the league last year? Adding a few years of experience to that is no bad thing.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2022, 09:59:01 AM »
Given what we saw on Saturday from Digne and Coutinho, is anyone seriously going to say we shouldn't have signed them due to their age?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2022, 10:11:57 AM »
I don't mind us investing in the odd older player who'll have little resale value.  That's true of buying any 28/29 year old and giving them a 4/5 year contract.  I certainly don't think we should rule it out.

There was a period in our recent history when ALL of our big signings were in their late 20s or early 30s, probably getting their last big contract, and no one wants a return to that.

But I have absolutely no issue in signing a few older players if they're good enough to give us a decent year or two, and improve the side - particularly if we have yongster who can develop alongside them and hopefully replace them eventually.

Didn't we have the youngest squad in the league last year? Adding a few years of experience to that is no bad thing.

This is the biggest difference now and why signing the odd senior pro isn't a bad idea.  Under MON (and before then under JG etc.), the older players we were signing had no pressure from younger players below them, so to an extent were able to coast along whilst still playing every week.  We've now got good young players coming through to keep them on their toes, and who are learning from the experience of being in a matchday squad with experienced, international class players.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2022, 10:15:52 AM »
Given what we saw on Saturday from Digne and Coutinho, is anyone seriously going to say we shouldn't have signed them due to their age?

Let's see what they've contributed after 25/50 games...

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2022, 10:16:50 AM »

Agreed. We've got potential leaking out of our ears - if we're serious about our ambitions though, we need a bit of 'right here right now' as well. Not least because you get better playing with better players, so the likes of Buendia and JJ and Carney and Doug will benefit hugely from having Coutinho in the team.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2022, 10:21:43 AM »
Absolutely.

And yes, judge them after 25/50/75 games, they both seem to be in good shape, despite the lack of match time. Their fitness levels will continue to improve.

I think they could be fabulous long term signings. All of our signings since the end of last season have the right experience.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2022, 10:54:17 AM »
I think the Kerr Smith signing and the links with Dan Neill show that this thread is a bit pointless now. The policy stills seems to focus on getting good young players and bringing them through. All that's changed is that we've gone a few years older in some positions so there's a more natural progression. If you have kids coming through and need to give them games that's generally easier to do if it means resting guys in their 30s so signing a few players who are late 20s gives us a bit of a timeline for when they expect the kids to break through.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »
I think the Kerr Smith signing and the links with Dan Neill show that this thread is a bit pointless now. The policy stills seems to focus on getting good young players and bringing them through. All that's changed is that we've gone a few years older in some positions so there's a more natural progression. If you have kids coming through and need to give them games that's generally easier to do if it means resting guys in their 30s so signing a few players who are late 20s gives us a bit of a timeline for when they expect the kids to break through.
It looks absolutely consistent with the Lange policy at FC Copenhagen.  Sign mostly younger players, but supplement that with the odd 'out of profile' player if they'll significantly strengthen the first team (as opposed to the squad).

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2022, 10:55:47 PM »
Five years ago we signed Henri Lansbury to be our creative missing link.

Shows how far we've come!

What makes a nice change about Coutinho is he's the type we'd be endlessly linked with in the past but never sign and miss opportunity to rise in league e.g. Juninho/Defoe/Robbie Keane etc.

A shame he's come in when we're a long way off the top 6 compared to when the others were seriously linked but I do think if we can get him full time in the summer he could spark us like Bergkamp coming to Arsenal did all those years ago especially with the youth we now have in midfield.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2022, 12:02:32 AM »
Was the thread title a placeholder for Weller's My Ever-Changing Moods? Being from Woking, I presume he's a Yanited fan.

Chelsea, but he’s not that bothered.

EDIT: As Martin said earlier.

There’s a documentary in which Weller is walking down a London street and somebody shouts something like “Hello Paul, John Terry was talking about you earlier”

Weller: Who?

Bloke: John Terry

Weller (still obviously none the wiser): Tell him I said hello.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:17:02 AM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Damo70

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2022, 12:23:16 PM »

Our new manager clearly wanted them and they have experience and a good pedigree.

We're Aston Villa and we will sign who we want  ;D

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2022, 02:05:34 PM »

Our new manager clearly wanted them and they have experience and a good pedigree.

We're Aston Villa and we will sign who we want  ;D

In pedigree alone they'd both be at the top of anyone I can remember us signing.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »
Yes I would like to wondr why its changed just because we change the coach.
It's really not good practice.
Everyone has been wooed and start struck by SG

It's like he can do what he wants in signing Suarez

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal