collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread  (Read 30266 times)

Offline Villan82

Re: Aston Villa 2 Brighton 0 post match thread
« Reply #270 on: November 22, 2021, 03:55:16 PM »
The current difference between Villa and wolves is simply a crazy ten minutes. Without that we would both be on 16 points. They are having a 'great season' yet we are somehow viewed as being in a relegation scrap. Ten crazy minutes is all the difference.

Yes, but those ten crazy minutes were a symptom of the problem that had blighted us since we got promoted: just a little bit too easy to beat and, aside from project restart, not able to grind out a point when a game is slipping away from us. Fine margins and all that but losing 3-2 at home when you had been 2-0 up with ten minutes remaining isn't merely 'crazy' it is unforgivable in elite sport.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #271 on: November 22, 2021, 05:29:00 PM »
It was clear that BHA had come for a bore-draw or maybe capitalising on sending one or other of our players to sleep and nicking a solitary goal.  To think I voted for Graham Potter in the manager poll.  Perhaps the club is under-resourced and he's doing the best with what he has, but we may have dodged a bullet there.

Look at the resources Potter has and the cost of that squad.
They have no cutting edge and no pace up front.

Potter ball seems a weaker version of Pep ball. Start without a centre forward and own the ball at times but no threat really. They havent won for a while and you could see why. But I don't think we were 2 goals better than them on balance of play, or even 1 if I'm being honest. They have two exceptional players who stood out a mile on Saturday.

From an Irish perspective, Duffy has done really well to turn his career around but he was dreadful for Watkins goal showing him inside onto his right foot. Eventually he crashed into his own man letting Watkins curl in a cracker unchallenged. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #272 on: November 22, 2021, 06:50:18 PM »
We were 2 goals better.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2021, 07:08:38 PM »
Although it was only a ten minute spell, once we scored the first it could  of been 3 or 4.
I tend not to focus too much on the opposition, but what i did perceive, was whereas against West Ham i thought they held us off with ease and always looked like they had another gear to move up to when needed. But Brighton did literally nothing for all their keep ball. Me and some lad near me thought the game was destined for a sneaky 1-0 to Brighton, but in hindsight this was based on nothing more than pessimism on how the seasons gone so far. Its the first time in a long time for good or bad, that ive been bored watching a Villa game and that is largely down to how Brighton knock it back and forth, side to side, tedious.
Im presuming the two outstanding players on the pitch are Bissouma and Lamptey? I dont see it with Lamptey, he ran up the wing a lot, but i dont remember Targett letting him get many searching crosses in.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #274 on: November 22, 2021, 08:35:39 PM »
It was clear that BHA had come for a bore-draw or maybe capitalising on sending one or other of our players to sleep and nicking a solitary goal.  To think I voted for Graham Potter in the manager poll.  Perhaps the club is under-resourced and he's doing the best with what he has, but we may have dodged a bullet there.

Potter ball seems a weaker version of Pep ball. Start without a centre forward and own the ball at times but no threat really. They havent won for a while and you could see why. But I don't think we were 2 goals better than them on balance of play, or even 1 if I'm being honest. They have two exceptional players who stood out a mile on Saturday.

From an Irish perspective, Duffy has done really well to turn his career around but he was dreadful for Watkins goal showing him inside onto his right foot. Eventually he crashed into his own man letting Watkins curl in a cracker unchallenged. 

El Ghazi should be credited there too though. Duffy didn't know whether to stick or twist.

Had a chuckle upon seeing the replay of the goal with the recently subbed JJ Ramsey pointing to Bailey, imploring Watkins to lay it off. I wonder could Jacob have shared an assist had that happened.

It would have been our most effective substitute-play since Steve Sidwell quickly got us motoring from the sidelines with a quick throw-in under MON that led to a goal if memory serves (Hull at VP, maybe?).

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #275 on: November 22, 2021, 09:28:48 PM »
Brighton had tons of possession but had absolutely nothing up front.

They had 63% of possession, and 2 shots on target, 0 off.

We had 5 on target, 1 off.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #276 on: November 22, 2021, 09:41:44 PM »
And both of them were in the 1st half. They created zip 2nd half.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #277 on: November 22, 2021, 09:44:34 PM »
Not seen anything but the highlights.

Brilliant result. Great goals.

Really got a good feeling about Ramsey under Gerrard. You couldn’t wish for a better mentor for a young midfielder.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #278 on: November 22, 2021, 11:20:12 PM »

One lovely image was the ball hitting the net and 3 Brighton defenders flat out on the turf

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2021, 11:15:33 PM »
Only five shots on target but the three that didn't end up in the net all needed decent saves from the Brighton 'keeper.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #280 on: November 27, 2021, 06:09:09 PM »
Just watching Brighton Leeds. See that the Brighton fans still do the "you're shit-ah" at the opposition goal kicks. Do you think they still shout "ref, ref, do you want my glasses?" and " you're a homo" at their ground?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »
Oh, and good to see Ian Wright praising JJ Ramsey for his performance on MotD.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal