collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 1968-69 - The road to Digbeth  (Read 3032 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
1968-69 - The road to Digbeth
« on: November 23, 2021, 09:26:04 PM »

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
Re: 1968-69 - The road to Digbeth
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2021, 09:54:13 PM »
Some horrendous memories there allright, starting at bleedin' Bedford!  I can still see Brian Tiler's RIP header against Cardiff that Christmas.  I travelled up to Carlisle on my own to witness that first away win and remember Bob Stokoe their then manager saying if they had to play football the way Villa did that day then he'd sooner sweep the streets.  If memory serves, someone sent him a broom.  God, we served up some shit that first half year.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 03:46:14 AM »
I remember that season and the arrival of the Doc put a lot of us in dream land. Great article

Offline Allan C

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 10:12:47 PM »
I’m loving these articles because it’s about the time it all started for me and it brings back so many memories. On top of that the kit worn by Willie Anderson, together with its yellow away version, is probably my favourite kit ever.

Online Dick Edwards

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2021, 11:22:17 AM »
Blackpool at home that season was the first ever game I attended with my Dad, stood by the Holte End floodlight pylon on the Trinity Road side.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2021, 11:50:40 AM »
Blackpool at home that season was the first ever game I attended with my Dad, stood by the Holte End floodlight pylon on the Trinity Road side.
My dad was a Witton End man and we used to stand at the back so we could nip down the dirt bank at the end and off to catch the number 7.

Online Dick Edwards

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2021, 12:15:39 PM »
My dad was a Witton End man and we used to stand at the back so we could nip down the dirt bank at the end and off to catch the number 7.

From the Holte End I used to remember seeing what could have been a programme kiosk at the top of the Witton Lane terraces. It always fascinated me as a young child. When did that first appear, and when was it removed?
The first time I stood on the Witton was out of necessity. The Holte End was sold out for the League Cup semi final against QPR in 1977 by the time I got to Villa Park so I rushed round to the Witton to get in the ground. At that time there was building work going on for the erection of the new North Stand.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 01:02:39 PM »
I’m loving these articles because it’s about the time it all started for me and it brings back so many memories....
Ditto, Allan.

Offline CJ27

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 02:30:03 PM »
My first post here so apologies if I am repeating other posts. My first game was in August 1963 as an 8 year old so until this time all I had seen was club drifting into a downward spiral of decline. Then along came "The Doc" and the whole atmosphere seem to change overnight. I vividly recall the Boxing Day game against Cardiff when the crowd almost willed the ball into the goal, and that game against Blues, a relegation battle if ever there was one, was certainly not one for the purists of the game and fittingly was settled by Dave Simmons, who I am sure would agree was not noted for his silky skills...but thanks Dave for that goal, it meant a lot to thousands of Villa fans.

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 02:52:07 PM »
The downside to the revolution for my dad was that he was no longer able to get me into the ground by tipping the turnstile operator the price of a pint of a beer.  Better for me though, as I no longer had to crawl under the turnstile on my hands and knees.

Incidentally, where is the article that details the game v Preston, which kicked things off good and proper?  I can remember that game to this day, as an 8 year old the sound and fury of stamping feet in the old Trinity Road stand was a really scary experience.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2021, 03:59:41 PM »
The downside to the revolution for my dad was that he was no longer able to get me into the ground by tipping the turnstile operator the price of a pint of a beer.  Better for me though, as I no longer had to crawl under the turnstile on my hands and knees.

Incidentally, where is the article that details the game v Preston, which kicked things off good and proper?  I can remember that game to this day, as an 8 year old the sound and fury of stamping feet in the old Trinity Road stand was a really scary experience.

Digbeth's been mentioned a few times over the years in H&V, book form and on here. I'll try to find it.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2021, 04:58:32 PM »
Wow!
Some great memories there and some not so!
This was my first season as a "proper" Villa fan....I had been going to most of the home games for years, but at 14 years of age I started going to away games, usually directly from home (Tamworth by this time), but often via the Villa special trains from Moor St.
I remember so well the first game at Sheff Utd and the dreadful disappointment at being totally outplayed; the heavy rain at Huddersfield and being chilled to the bone; the games at Portsmouth and Southampton (and the replay!), both attended with my older cousin, and the magical run we went on under The Doc!
Barry Hole swiftly became my favourite Villa player and the reason why I always wanted to wear number 4 whenever I played. I missed my brother's wedding to go to the Cardiff game at Ninian Park but got back in time for a chat with cousin Frank Jnr and Amos who were both delighted that I was such a committed follower of The Villa!!!
A massive impact on my personal development and something of a privilege to have been a part of the build up to the Revolution!
UTV!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2021, 06:10:13 PM »
I remember an awful lot of those games and one that comes to mind is the goal scored by the late Dave Simmons at Charlton.  I can still see both him and Lionel Martin both bearing down on the ball at the same time, as they approached the ball with Martin fractionally ahead, Simmo grabbed him by the shoulder and yanked him out of the way and then buried the ball in the back of the net.  I can remember that but buggered if I can remember the colour of the socks I put on this morning!*

* They're black actually with coloured toes and heels, from M&S.

Offline trinityoap

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2021, 07:00:10 PM »
Didn't we get a free  kick at Southampton because their goalie carried the ball for more than three steps without bouncing it?

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2021, 02:09:35 AM »
I think you're right on the free-kick.

To deal with Dave Shelley's Broomgate issue: John's article deals with Bob Stokoe's 'rather sweep the streets' after match comment in 1968.

Fast forward about twenty months; Villa were on a great league cup run and were drawn at home in the fourth round to...Carlisle United. On one of those glorious VP night matches, we raised our game and outplayed a good, though very defensive away side. (To their own detriment, as they had some good attacking players).

Villa won 1-0 with a scrambled goal by Brian Tiler. According to writer Dennis Shaw, Stokoe was approached after the game by Villa captain Brian Godfrey, broom in hand, with Brian offering constructive ideas as to what Bob might like to do with it.

Answers on a postcard, please, as they used to say on Round the Horne...

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal