collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:21:16 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Watkins, Ings, both or neither?  (Read 44052 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Watkins, Ings or both?
« Reply #345 on: March 21, 2022, 09:51:38 AM »
We should sell Watkins to Newcastle for £50m. Ideally I wouldn't want us to do any business with them but we've already set a precedent there. Obviously nobody else would pay that, but I suspect that they would.

I'm coming round to 'yes'.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #346 on: March 21, 2022, 10:01:09 AM »
We definitely should. He'll be 27 this year, and so it's not like he's a youth team product still learning the game. He's got too many deficiencies in his game to be truly top notch.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #347 on: March 21, 2022, 10:15:18 AM »
Surely there are better strikers they could buy for 50 mill. Wouldn’t have a clue who that might be, mind.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #348 on: March 21, 2022, 12:05:45 PM »
I mentioned on another thread in response to the criticism of Watkins that I'm also disappointed with Ings.
Ings I was lead to believe was the poacher, the kind of striker that even if you were playing poorly he would get one chance and you might win the game.

In nearly every game he does get that one chance but doesn't seem to hit the ball correctly, is off balance or cant sort his feet out.

He could have done better with the header in the arsenal game which might be a bit harsh, But again he had chance for the shot not really far out and made a mess of just hitting the ball cleanly.
In the West ham game he made the keeper make a good save but he hit the ball into the ground, If he had hit cleaner the keeper wouldn't have been able to make the save.

It's almost like hes over thinking every shot instead of hitting it naturally. Perhaps its lack of confidence not playing enough games, not playing a formation that suits him, I'm just as frustrated as he is.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #349 on: May 07, 2022, 01:43:23 PM »
Can see both playing today Vs Burnley .

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #350 on: May 07, 2022, 01:57:50 PM »
Not sure how far off Marv is, but I would be tempted to have him and Tim in the middle with three in front.

Emi

Cash
Chambers
Mings
Digne

Marv
Tim

McGinn
Phil
Olly

Ings

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #351 on: May 07, 2022, 01:58:49 PM »
Not sure how far off Marv is, but I would be tempted to have him and Tim in the middle with three in front.

Emi

Cash
Chambers
Mings
Digne

Marv
Tim

McGinn
Phil
Olly

Ings
That's an excellent suggestin and line up

Online jwarry

« Reply #352 on: May 07, 2022, 02:05:26 PM »
But not the one Gerrard has picked

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #353 on: July 02, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
Both to be kept on and it's a opportunity for both to be firing this season. Watkins has the incentive of the World Cup and with 26 places in squad he can make that if he performs for us
Ings is a goalscorer by nature and think we'll see best of him this season.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #354 on: July 04, 2022, 09:16:48 AM »
Both to be kept on and it's a opportunity for both to be firing this season. Watkins has the incentive of the World Cup and with 26 places in squad he can make that if he performs for us
Ings is a goalscorer by nature and think we'll see best of him this season.
I agree.  I've a feeling they will both do well this season.  But I'd rather we only start with one of them as I want Buendia starting more regularly.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #355 on: July 04, 2022, 09:27:48 AM »
Reports in some papers this morning that Ings will be going, with Brighton and Leeds amongst the favourites to sign him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #356 on: July 04, 2022, 10:07:13 AM »
Reports in some papers this morning that Ings will be going, with Brighton and Leeds amongst the favourites to sign him.
I'd be really dissapointed if we sell him.  We're not going to get any experienced PL player who's beter than him and bringing someone from outside the PL is always a gamble.  I just don't see the point in selling unless he is demanding a starting place or we have someone lined up.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #357 on: July 04, 2022, 10:39:06 AM »
I'd be really dissapointed if we sell him.  We're not going to get any experienced PL player who's beter than him and bringing someone from outside the PL is always a gamble.  I just don't see the point in selling unless he is demanding a starting place or we have someone lined up.

I like Ings and was really happy when he joined but now I've watched him for a season I don't see him as competition/back-up for Watkins, his game is just too different and he doesn't work leading the line on his own in front of two 10s (or even 2 wingers who drift). He drifts into the same space that Coutinho and Buendia need so I think he's actually competing with them (and Bailey) for a spot in the team and Watkins is pretty much nailed on to start every game he's available for.

With Archer and Davis the only obvious competition for Watkins and neither really experienced enough to be relied on regularly I can see the sense in letting Ings and Davis go and bringing in someone who either replicates Watkins all action pressing game and/or a target man to hold his position and bring the midfield and 10s into play around him.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #358 on: July 04, 2022, 11:11:17 AM »

I like Ings and was really happy when he joined but now I've watched him for a season I don't see him as competition/back-up for Watkins, his game is just too different and he doesn't work leading the line on his own in front of two 10s (or even 2 wingers who drift). He drifts into the same space that Coutinho and Buendia need so I think he's actually competing with them (and Bailey) for a spot in the team and Watkins is pretty much nailed on to start every game he's available for.

With Archer and Davis the only obvious competition for Watkins and neither really experienced enough to be relied on regularly I can see the sense in letting Ings and Davis go and bringing in someone who either replicates Watkins all action pressing game and/or a target man to hold his position and bring the midfield and 10s into play around him.

I've nothing to add to this, really sums up how I feel too.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #359 on: July 04, 2022, 11:26:45 AM »
I know what you both mean, but I like him and think he's good to keep around. We need a Plan B and he'd be a great part of it. Especially with the 5 sub thing. It means you can change the full forward unit in one go. Watkins, Coutinho and Buendia off, Ings, Bailey and Traore on (as an example).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal