collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356549 times)

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1995 on: January 19, 2022, 09:13:23 AM »
As some have pointed out Suarez is a horrible, spiteful player on the pitch, which is probably why I remember him more for the Evra incident than anything else he may have done with his career.
If he were to come we wouldn't be getting the L'pool player of 2013/14, we'd be getting a player in his 36th year.
Clearly it would indicate that we are riding a completely different wave where transfers are concerned than we were only 5 months ago.
Personally I'd much prefer if our manager and backroom team would demonstrate their coaching capabilities by making our good/great players (including the international Watkins) into even better players, rather than going down the oven ready, perhaps overcooked route in Suarez.

Offline ironmaidenmania

« Reply #1996 on: January 19, 2022, 09:15:49 AM »
Suarez may be a good idea short term. Sign him in January and let him go end of season. Loan Archer out to a Championship side so he comes back stronger for next season. Suarez has said he wants to play for Corinthians in Brazil and their league starts in May. He keeps fit and makes an impact from the bench and we get a boost to the squad. Minimal cost in my opinion, but I wouldn't want to sign him to a longer contract or in the summer. It's now or never for me.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1997 on: January 19, 2022, 09:29:46 AM »
It’s a summer rumour now, let’s get back to Bissouma talks

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1998 on: January 19, 2022, 09:37:15 AM »
It wasn't that many moons ago that Steve Bruce was trying to get Jack Colback from Newcastle. Now we're signing players like Coutinho and Digne and linked with Suarez. Exciting times if you ask me.

Offline boozey182

« Reply #1999 on: January 19, 2022, 09:37:37 AM »
This may just be a PR masterstroke, of course.

We're just getting the idea out there that on top of Coutinho and Digne, we could attract a player like Suarez... Every paper will mention it, it will be all over social media and suddenly the idea of playing for Aston Villa seems a little attractive to players all over the world. If we're good enough for Coutinho and Suarez...

I don't think he would be a good signing, and I don't really want to have him at our club. But the suggestion that he might come, even in the summer, could be much more significant than him playing for us would ever be.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2000 on: January 19, 2022, 09:39:01 AM »
Suarez is knocking on the door of 36, though, being able to attract a player that age doesn't really say much.

Plus he's a nasty racist piece of shit. No thanks.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2001 on: January 19, 2022, 09:52:53 AM »
This may just be a PR masterstroke, of course.

We're just getting the idea out there that on top of Coutinho and Digne, we could attract a player like Suarez... Every paper will mention it, it will be all over social media and suddenly the idea of playing for Aston Villa seems a little attractive to players all over the world. If we're good enough for Coutinho and Suarez...

I don't think he would be a good signing, and I don't really want to have him at our club. But the suggestion that he might come, even in the summer, could be much more significant than him playing for us would ever be.
Fair comment.  You wont have the Sky reports sniggering 'lets be realistic' anymore, that's for sure.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2002 on: January 19, 2022, 09:55:28 AM »
Suarez is knocking on the door of 36, though, being able to attract a player that age doesn't really say much.

I don't want him, but he was 34 in Jan.  He wont be knocking on the door of 36 for almost 2 whiole seasons from now.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #2003 on: January 19, 2022, 09:59:41 AM »

I don't want him, but he was 34 in Jan.  He wont be knocking on the door of 36 for almost 2 whiole seasons from now.
He's not as world class as he was but he's still up there.
Awesome.that we're linked with players of this footballing quality now as opposed to Jordan Bowery.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2004 on: January 19, 2022, 10:03:47 AM »

I think the racism bit is overblown:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified

Offline mike

« Reply #2005 on: January 19, 2022, 10:13:41 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/oct/26/luis-suarez-am-i-a-racist-no-absolutely-not-i-was-horrified

That sounds as convincing my dad swearing there was nothing wrong with describing something as 'n****r brown', which was as common as saying bottle green or navy blue in the 70s. The only thing he missed out is 'they' are the first ones to laugh when you call them chalky.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #2006 on: January 19, 2022, 10:14:11 AM »
It's brilliant that we are linked with player's like Suarez.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #2007 on: January 19, 2022, 10:15:58 AM »

He's 35 in 5 days time.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #2008 on: January 19, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »

Absolutely. Leave well alone.

Online The Edge

« Reply #2009 on: January 19, 2022, 10:47:45 AM »

John Terry had said and done worse and there was lots of opposition to him coming to Villa. He was instrumental in us getting promoted and being in the position we are now and I think most people look on his time here as positive and his behaviour was exemplary. I'm not condoning anything Suarez said of course not but his explanation about it being more of a language thing at least holds some credibility. If we sign Suarez and he bangs in a few vital goals for us I'm pretty sure his past indiscrepancies will become less of an issue. Things are moving fast and our owners are clearly fed up of long termism and want to get the ball rolling. This is the big push for the top and they have decided to back Gerrard to get us there.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal