collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by devilla
[Today at 01:00:22 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread  (Read 356482 times)

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
Re: The January New Manager Warchest Transfer Thread
« Reply #1815 on: January 15, 2022, 08:00:01 AM »
Then
There is clearly a push behind the scenes to get into Europe this season. If it means a few shorter term top quality options then let’s go for it.

we should look at the league table then as we are becoming a little detached. We need to not only stop potentially 4 defeats on the spin today, but also put a winning run together to get some movement and move up the league

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1816 on: January 15, 2022, 10:08:57 AM »
Is it only down to 7th place that gets European football? I can't see us finishing higher than 8th at best.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #1817 on: January 15, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »
Even if we lose today the 4 defeats on the spin thing seems a lot worse than it is really though.
Chelsea we expected to lose and duly delivered but didn't play badly
Brentford absolutely no defence we were shocking and deserved what we got. But I thing the extra creativity Coutinho and Digne bring will help us put games against lesser teams to bed before they have the chance to get fired up by the crown and snatch a win.
Man U in the cup (i don't care about this season) we were robbed by corruption and played them off the park for 80 minutes. It was our best performance against a top 6 team in a very long time I think. There was no smash and grab it was actual dominance and has me going into today expecting us to beat them.i know anything can happen today and if we do lose so be it we have lost 3 in a row vs the European champions. Man red and Brentford and only 1 loss out of the actually concerns me.
Also let's not forget we should have an extra 3 points on the board because the Burnley game got postponed which would actually see us sat 10th.
I think if we narrowly miss out on Europe this season we will challange top 4 next with a lighter fixture load and some more class additions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:12:40 AM by Holy Trinity »

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1818 on: January 15, 2022, 11:09:57 AM »
Hookey’s Point still stands though we have to start winning games again

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1819 on: January 15, 2022, 11:16:33 AM »
It does seem as though we're concentrating so much on the bright new future that we're ignoring what's under our nose and IF we lose today (which we won't) then four defeats is still four defeats.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1820 on: January 15, 2022, 12:39:57 PM »
Is it only down to 7th place that gets European football? I can't see us finishing higher than 8th at best.

Yeah, qualifying for Europe this season looks an impossible task.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #1821 on: January 15, 2022, 12:46:03 PM »
I do agree 4 defeats is 4 deafets if we lose. I was just saying if we lose today these 4 defeats will not feel anything like Dean 4 on the spin before the 5th.
There are reasons to be optimistic and barring the Burnley postponement we would be sat 10th at kickoff today.
The recent shift in transfer policy indicates to me that they have smelt blood and have decided to go for it NOW as opposed to next season.
Am I alone in thinking we are playing some of the best footy in years? But this all amounts to nothing without points on the board and I think 1 more addition in the middle of the park will see us fly up the league and he's coming. I'm convinced we will have a 6"3 powerhouse in at cdm before the end of the window and have a really reason to believe the bright future mantra after years in the wilderness.
I was looking at my villa shirt collection yesterday and the names I have on the backs, Yorke, Dublin, Delaney, Gabby, Young, Milner, Carew, Petrov to name a few and I thought to myself how over the years I've followed Villa have we not managed more success?
The time is coming and I can sense the shift in opinions changing, I see the media start to believe us and think it's long over sue that we get the respect we deserve. Now all we have to do is go out there and earn it week in and week out.

We are Aston Villa FC the pride of the Midlands and reason league football exists, let go out there and show everyone that they were wrong to belittle us for so long and take back what is ours.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1822 on: January 15, 2022, 12:46:42 PM »

Yeah, qualifying for Europe this season looks an impossible task.

Looked at the table last night and thought the same, 8th is the best we can hope for unless we go on a super run. Winning today would be a big start.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #1823 on: January 15, 2022, 01:08:53 PM »
Does anyone know what you get financially for the Europa league? I know the Champions league is where the real money is but surely the Europa must have some financial reward for playing Thursday nights etc?

I just wondered if it is actually worthwhile getting in to it - although for luring bigger names Europe is a must so there is more to qualifying for it than just money.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1824 on: January 15, 2022, 02:21:49 PM »
I'm pleased to read that Gerrard is seeking more 'steel and style'.  We have the style with Coutinho and Digne, I hope for the steel bit now!  Zakariah, Bissouma or Phillips will do just fine, even if we have to wait for the latter.  We do need to start winning, I agree with others.  It's about time we beat Man Yew at VP.  Cue the scabby penalty.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #1825 on: January 15, 2022, 02:31:48 PM »
I'm pleased to read that Gerrard is seeking more 'steel and style'.  We have the style with Coutinho and Digne, I hope for the steel bit now!  Zakariah, Bissouma or Phillips will do just fine, even if we have to wait for the latter.  We do need to start winning, I agree with others.  It's about time we beat Man Yew at VP.  Cue the scabby penalty.

Surely they wouldn't DARE today after all the flak the got for the disallowed goal?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1826 on: January 15, 2022, 02:48:49 PM »

Surely they wouldn't DARE today after all the flak the got for the disallowed goal?

Of course they would. The officials would be under a lot more scrutiny if they gave a decision against them.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1827 on: January 15, 2022, 02:59:08 PM »
Does anyone know what you get financially for the Europa league? I know the Champions league is where the real money is but surely the Europa must have some financial reward for playing Thursday nights etc?

I just wondered if it is actually worthwhile getting in to it - although for luring bigger names Europe is a must so there is more to qualifying for it than just money.

I don't think many clubs make much of a profit by playing in the Europa League. However I suspect West Ham's
and Leicester's relative success in the competition has given them a bigger profile and made them a bigger draw for new signings.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1828 on: January 15, 2022, 04:06:24 PM »
It attracts players and the extra games mean it's possible to have a larger squad and still be able to keep everyone happy.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1829 on: January 15, 2022, 04:15:01 PM »
It attracts players and the extra games mean it's possible to have a larger squad and still be able to keep everyone happy.
Agreed - think it’s key to developing and keeping promising youth players

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal