collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Dalian Atkinson trial by Rory
[Today at 03:28:48 AM]

Leeds United vs Aston Villa Pre-Match. by Drummond
[September 29, 2022, 11:13:39 PM]

Other Games - 2022/2023 by cdbearsfan
[September 29, 2022, 10:34:05 PM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by Villa Lew
[September 29, 2022, 10:14:58 PM]

Leander Dendoncker - signed by N'ZMAV
[September 29, 2022, 08:40:04 PM]

Tyrone Mings - signed permanently and confirmed as even more awesome by BC Villain
[September 29, 2022, 08:10:56 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2022/23 by Lastfootstamper
[September 29, 2022, 08:08:30 PM]

Guess The Goal R6; Dirty Leeds v ASTON VILLA, Sunday 2nd October!🥅 by Godfrey Brian
[September 29, 2022, 03:58:56 PM]

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 39170 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 63233 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 64910 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 60491 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 59519 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 376825 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4875 on: August 11, 2022, 09:04:27 AM »
Bournemouth looks like a pivotal moment.
Unless we beat Everton of course.
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

But yes some may have an agenda.

What does this mean?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4876 on: August 11, 2022, 09:15:09 AM »
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

What does this mean?

I think it's like a list of things you plan to do or talk about that you use in a meeting.

Offline frank black

« Reply #4877 on: August 11, 2022, 09:19:19 AM »

What does this mean?

Heís either going to succeed or fail, some including me were skeptical from day one. But Iíd be pretty miserable if I wanted him to fail or have ďan agendaĒ whatever that is? .

I donít like his game management, rigid formation and his substitutions rarely change games for the better. Perhaps his man management could also be called into question (although itís rumours) too. Other than this he is doing a sterling job.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4878 on: August 11, 2022, 09:25:32 AM »

What does this mean?

I think it's like a list of things you plan to do or talk about that you use in a meeting.
;D ;D ;D

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #4879 on: August 11, 2022, 09:32:37 AM »
Not an agenda, he just hasn't got a lot of goodwill in the bank - which can get managers through sticky situations.

Look at Smith - before the 10-game run in the championship we were having a bad time, then the first season back up until Covid. He was getting lots of stick and criticism, but because of his background it never bubbled over to be an issue becuase of that good-will.

Gerrard, because of his personality (dour, humourless), his non-Villa background and most importantly, the lack of any obvious improvement over his predecessor, is going to get even more scrutiny and lose on Saturday I think it will be vocal.

We've all had enough of false dawns and no-one wants him to fail. The start on paper was two very winnable games and that, as we saw a couple of seasons ago, builds confidence and belief.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #4880 on: August 11, 2022, 09:37:45 AM »
Accuracy counts. A lack of accuracy is a lack of credibility. If you lack credibility, you lack honesty. Like Kippaxvilla and their distortion of my original anger fuelled post about the 70 minute walk outs at Spurs and what was actually said. Over time, the dishonest distortion bleeds into reality until the truth is diluted and corrupted. Like the repetitive drone that Tyrone Mings can't pass and gives away a goal a game.

FTFY (smiley thing). That said, I also see no reason why we can't finish top half this season under Gerrard's management and hope we do so (but that's my hidden agenda so don't tell anyone). Admittedly he's so far not really done much, but I haven't lost hope.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4881 on: August 11, 2022, 09:45:46 AM »
I don't dislike him at all. I think he speaks well, was a brilliant player at a has bought some decent players. My issue is more that he doesn't adapt, has zero plan b, and appears wedded to a system that isn't working very well. I disliked Bruce because he was a monumental whinge bag. Gerrard just isn't a very good manager at the moment. Fingers crossed he gets better, quickly.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2023
« Reply #4882 on: August 11, 2022, 09:47:03 AM »
The Bournmouth game was horrendous and after a reasonably posivive (but by no means stellar) pre-season, it's come as a bit of a shock.

I'm now of the view that it's more likely than not that Gerrards time at Villa will fizzle out some time this season.  But then as a Villa fan it's pretty natural sceptisism as we haven't seen anything else for 25 years other than a brief flutter with O'Neil as he butchered our big chance.

BUT, there's still a chance he'll turn it round.  Most good managers have had difficult spells and I think some would be more forgiving if this was a big name from Europe, we'd be saying he needs time to get things right.  I think Gerrard deserves that.  I think our squad is good enough for top 8, so personally I'll be holding him to high standards.  I won't be happy with a 10th place finish, in my opinion anything lower than 8th is dissapointing and lower than 9th should be a sacking.

So I'll stick with him for a bit.  But I expect better.  Much better.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #4883 on: August 11, 2022, 09:51:13 AM »
He can turn it around, Arteta looked like little (lego) boy lost at the start of last season. He still does mind, I think that his natural state, but his team is winning now and looking decent.

Offline Ads

• GM : 10.04.2023
« Reply #4884 on: August 11, 2022, 09:55:35 AM »
It takes time to discover success or failure. I don't really have anything to say that would reflect very well upon me for opinions of wanting somebody sacked after a single game of the season though.

There's a requirement for improvement. Not so much on Saturday as it is just a single game, regardless, but last season. We broadly agree what the failings were, I don't think the squad is complete, but we should see better and we have to see better. If not, the inevitable happens and round we go. Everybody wants Gerrard to do it, right?

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4885 on: August 11, 2022, 10:01:56 AM »
It takes time to discover success or failure. I don't really have anything to say that would reflect very well upon me for opinions of wanting somebody sacked after a single game of the season though.

There's a requirement for improvement. Not so much on Saturday as it is just a single game, regardless, but last season. We broadly agree what the failings were, I don't think the squad is complete, but we should see better and we have to see better. If not, the inevitable happens and round we go. Everybody wants Gerrard to do it, right?

What's all this 'one game' stuff? He's been here since November last year.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
    • Every time you click this link, a child in Africa dies.
  • GM : 27.01.2023
« Reply #4886 on: August 11, 2022, 10:06:45 AM »

What does this mean?

"Okay, just going through the action points from our last meeting. Daniel and Oliver, you were going to look into the topic of scoring goals and get back to us. Any progress with that?"

*Awkward silence

Offline LeeB

« Reply #4887 on: August 11, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »

I hope he gets it right mate, but rightly or wrongly I'm losing faith a bit it has to be said.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #4888 on: August 11, 2022, 10:10:55 AM »

"Okay, just going through the action points from our last meeting. Daniel and Oliver, you were going to look into the topic of scoring goals and get back to us. Any progress with that?"

*Awkward silence

"The Return on Investment figures for Wesley I asked for, where are they?"

Offline Didier Five

« Reply #4889 on: August 11, 2022, 10:12:48 AM »
I don't dislike him at all. I think he speaks well, was a brilliant player at a has bought some decent players. My issue is more that he doesn't adapt, has zero plan b, and appears wedded to a system that isn't working very well. I disliked Bruce because he was a monumental whinge bag. Gerrard just isn't a very good manager at the moment. Fingers crossed he gets better, quickly.

Zero plan B!! Do you think you have been wathcing the same formation and pattern of play week after week under Gerrard?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal