collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 82233 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 105900 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 106491 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 101667 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 100644 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 420540 times)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 05.12.2023
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4860 on: August 10, 2022, 10:12:39 PM »
He will be gone by November max. 

I think so aswell.

Last season there were mitigating factors with G**alish, our new signings getting, covid etc. DS still didn't last very long.

I know it's different with Gerrard but I can't believe the board are just going to twiddle their thumbs while he has us hovering over bottom 3 for first few months.

We've so far only signed two first 11 players this summer so not like he has to integrate half a new team like so many managers we've had in last decade from first game.

He needs a couple of wins soon otherwise we'll just establish ourselves in bottom half and I just don't think we should meekly accept yet another season of that when I think with sensible planning the likes of Brighton will be going for 7th this season so up to us to be in range of them.

Do you worry about any sort of fall out with the players that Gerrard, seemingly, attracted to the club? ie. Coutinho and Kamara?

Coutinho will probably lose interest after world cup anyway, just play Buendia more and keep him around until he goes to MLS.

Don't see Kamara becoming disengaged if we then appointed a Pochettino.

I find this sort of doomongering so weird.

There's a fetishism on here for graver, bleaker, darker evidence free predictions. I can't abide it to be honest. It's a reflection I suspect of the current political discourse and the destruction of the centre.
Yeah and love island finishing

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4861 on: August 10, 2022, 10:13:43 PM »
Better than Watkin's or Ings' finishing.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4862 on: August 10, 2022, 10:19:08 PM »

I think so aswell.

Last season there were mitigating factors with G**alish, our new signings getting, covid etc. DS still didn't last very long.

I know it's different with Gerrard but I can't believe the board are just going to twiddle their thumbs while he has us hovering over bottom 3 for first few months.

We've so far only signed two first 11 players this summer so not like he has to integrate half a new team like so many managers we've had in last decade from first game.

He needs a couple of wins soon otherwise we'll just establish ourselves in bottom half and I just don't think we should meekly accept yet another season of that when I think with sensible planning the likes of Brighton will be going for 7th this season so up to us to be in range of them.

Do you worry about any sort of fall out with the players that Gerrard, seemingly, attracted to the club? ie. Coutinho and Kamara?

Coutinho will probably lose interest after world cup anyway, just play Buendia more and keep him around until he goes to MLS.

There's a fetishism on here for graver, bleaker, darker evidence free predictions. I can't abide it to be honest. It's a reflection I suspect of the current political discourse and the destruction of the centre.

It could be that, or we might just have appointed a shite manager.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2023
« Reply #4863 on: August 10, 2022, 10:24:37 PM »
What annoys me is that Gerrard has repeatedly said that Coutinho needs to feel loved in order to produce his best football, which might explain his starting almost every game. How's that working out Gez?

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #4864 on: August 10, 2022, 10:27:44 PM »
I love him, but he never returns my calls.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #4865 on: August 10, 2022, 11:10:01 PM »
I have just seen a stat that Gerrard has a worse points total after 28 games in charge than neville did at valencia.

That's a bit eye opening to be honest. Time to start getting results Steven

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4866 on: August 10, 2022, 11:27:23 PM »
Ads has explained that stat though. Not as bad as it seems. Keep the faith!!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4867 on: August 10, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »
It’s not doom mongering.  The situation, the noise, the abject performances of the last 12 or so games.  The body language of the players suggest there’s more than a hint of inevitability about how this ends.  But what do I know I leave after 80 minutes so I am just a wanker when all said and done.

Offline Ads

• GM : 10.04.2023
« Reply #4868 on: August 10, 2022, 11:55:44 PM »
Ads has explained that stat though. Not as bad as it seems. Keep the faith!!

Accuracy counts. A lack of accuracy is a lack of credibility. If you lack credibility, you lack honesty. Like Kippaxvilla and their distortion of my original anger fuelled post about the 70 minute walk outs at Spurs and what was actually said. Over time, the dishonest distortion bleeds into reality until the truth is diluted and corrupted. Like a pathogen.

Accuracy matters. Whether it's a 37% v 17% win rate or my stated express opinion of the questionable fortitude of those who leave with 20 minutes to go. Accuracy is key. Faith is subjective, it need not be predicated on objective and tangible realities. It can be focused on cultural efficacy.

Like walking out of Bournemouth in 2015 and joking on the phone to a Stipey Mate "top six here we come". Or walking silently at a quick march for the 17:45 to Leamington annoyed, angry and disappointed in 2022. And on both occasions not assuming either performance or result was a particular bellwether or prelude to success or doom. As its the first game of the fucking season and being only able to point to Paul "back pass from a goal kick is all I learned from my trip to Barca" Lambert, entirely undermines the hysterical argument.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4869 on: August 10, 2022, 11:55:49 PM »
When for more than 20 games a manager is doing worse than his predecessor was doing in his last 20+ games and who was sacked for that run, questions are rightly going to be asked. It would be weird if they weren't.

I hope Gerrard turns it around, mainly because I don't want us to be keep on being shit to mediocre, have the shite that comes when you're looking for a new manager, and have the start from scratch shite yet again. However I really don't think he will, it will drag on for a while with a few good games and results, more games being shite, before the inevitable ending and then we start the cycle again.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4870 on: August 11, 2022, 06:05:06 AM »
Bournemouth looks like a pivotal moment.
Unless we beat Everton of course.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4871 on: August 11, 2022, 06:09:40 AM »
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 13.02.2023
« Reply #4872 on: August 11, 2022, 06:15:25 AM »
Or, we're just fickle.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #4873 on: August 11, 2022, 07:16:04 AM »

I think so aswell.

That's pretty intellectual, high-brow analysis. Do you think it could be a reaction to the fact that we've been largely crap for ages though?

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4874 on: August 11, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.
I was initially sceptical, then enthusiastic and now very worried.

But yes some may have an agenda.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal