collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 82245 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 105912 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 106504 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 101679 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 100656 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 420550 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4845 on: August 10, 2022, 02:22:06 PM »
Howe is a much more experienced coach, but even he's failed once badly at Burnley.

He is, but he also has a much more defined style and system. Had a feeling he'd do well with Newcastle and early signs lol good for them, think he's got potential to be a very good manager. The signing of Giumares in the centre of the park is top 4 level though, he was a truly brilliant buy, and Botman had similar potential.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 16.12.2022
« Reply #4846 on: August 10, 2022, 02:23:56 PM »
I've given Gerrard some thought and believe it's just a matter of time.
It will not be an easy road, and there will be inconsistencies until the team and squad are just right for what he wants to implement.
I suppose the time constraint is now the issue.
I actually believe that he can turn us into a proper winning team in a reasonable amount of time.
He has ambition and drive, which he demonstrated to people at Rangers, and if he can get things together, he will do the same.
Mings, I believe, will be one of several players who will be moved on because they do not fit into the system.

This season I feel we are going to have to take the rough with the smooth and they'll be some very good performances and results and some like against Bournemouth. I think when things come together we'll have a lot more positives than negatives and next season be stronger for it.
I'm gonna hold on and look at things optimistically and not hasty as there's a plan which is probably a bit longer than what we would all like for improvement and sucesss but I'm gonna say it's coming and it's coming under this man Gerrard

He has to have the players to play the way he wants us to play, and have these players understand and develop as well as the upgrades over the transfer windows and that will take time, but if we understand and hope Gerrard and his coaches get a team to his required level, then maybe it will all be positive after all.

Up the Villa.
That is pretty much spot on and is how the evolution of the team should be. The critical point is of course the time.
I think a very sensible way of looking at it - but it makes the big assumption that he will come good.  What I am not sure if is what achieved in Scotland is a) comparable and b) that good.

My biggest concern is what he is trying to  achieve wonít work in a league of this quality. 

I think he has lots of great attributes but I donít know if reality will bend to his will quickly enough to keep hold of better players and keep the owners happy.

If the previous manager was sacked for progress being at risk, what suggest this one will be given more freedom when missing targets
Compare what is happening at Villa to what has happened at Newcastle.
Howe did not immediately change everything, he worked with the players he had and had added to the squad.
Gerrard is only going to get judged when he has even more new players that can play to his system?

Howe signed 4 players in January who went straight into the team.
and Gerard signed 2 that went straight into the team.

But you were contrasting them when the approach of both has been broadly similar.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4847 on: August 10, 2022, 02:51:13 PM »
Chris I suggest you read the posts included and elsewhere that suggests that SG wonít be successful until he gets the right players to play his system.
The problem I have is I think his system is the problem.
Newcastle weíre in a bigger mess than us when Howe took them over.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 16.12.2022
« Reply #4848 on: August 10, 2022, 02:56:21 PM »
Chris I suggest you read the posts included and elsewhere that suggests that SG wonít be successful until he gets the right players to play his system.

I donít disagree on the point about the system not appearing to work at the moment. It was just the implication that Howe was doing it without improving the squad when he clearly has.

Itís splitting hairs though, the bottom line is Gerrard has to do much better.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4849 on: August 10, 2022, 03:02:56 PM »

I donít disagree on the point about the system not appearing to work at the moment. It was just the implication that Howe was doing it without improving the squad when he clearly has.

Itís splitting hairs though, the bottom line is Gerrard has to do much better.
agree and I donít think I managed to express what I was trying to say.

Offline john e

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4850 on: August 10, 2022, 08:33:11 PM »
Iím still optimistic for this season I donít know why but I am

No excuses for last Saturday though I think because of the expectation the squad the preseason the new players And the opposition we were playing against it could go into my top five of all time worst performances

So I do feel like the lunatic in the asylum still thinking everything is going to be fine this year for a top half finish but I still have some faith and Believe that we will do it

Obviously if it all goes tits up I will come back and delete this post
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:35:31 PM by john e »

Offline Ads

• GM : 10.04.2023
« Reply #4851 on: August 10, 2022, 09:16:38 PM »
I still think we can finish top half as well. We've started many a season really limply and done good work. For every 3-1 against Man United, there's a 1-0 defeat away at Leicester in 90į. A 3-2 at Stoke.

Online rob_bridge

« Reply #4852 on: August 10, 2022, 09:40:02 PM »
I still think we can finish top half as well. We've started many a season really limply and done good work. For every 3-1 against Man United, there's a 1-0 defeat away at Leicester in 90į. A 3-2 at Stoke.

Pedant alert - 3-2 v Stoke was 2nd game in 2008

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4853 on: August 10, 2022, 09:43:20 PM »
He will be gone by November max. 

Offline john e

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4854 on: August 10, 2022, 09:51:12 PM »

Just you and me in then asylum mate

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4855 on: August 10, 2022, 09:53:06 PM »
Yes, we can still finish top half. Unlikely to happen with our current manager, unfortunately.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4856 on: August 10, 2022, 09:53:28 PM »

I think so aswell.

Last season there were mitigating factors with G**alish, our new signings getting, covid etc. DS still didn't last very long.

I know it's different with Gerrard but I can't believe the board are just going to twiddle their thumbs while he has us hovering over bottom 3 for first few months.

We've so far only signed two first 11 players this summer so not like he has to integrate half a new team like so many managers we've had in last decade from first game.

He needs a couple of wins soon otherwise we'll just establish ourselves in bottom half and I just don't think we should meekly accept yet another season of that when I think with sensible planning the likes of Brighton will be going for 7th this season so up to us to be in range of them.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #4857 on: August 10, 2022, 09:55:00 PM »

I think so aswell.

Last season there were mitigating factors with G**alish, our new signings getting, covid etc. DS still didn't last very long.

I know it's different with Gerrard but I can't believe the board are just going to twiddle their thumbs while he has us hovering over bottom 3 for first few months.

We've so far only signed two first 11 players this summer so not like he has to integrate half a new team like so many managers we've had in last decade from first game.

He needs a couple of wins soon otherwise we'll just establish ourselves in bottom half and I just don't think we should meekly accept yet another season of that when I think with sensible planning the likes of Brighton will be going for 7th this season so up to us to be in range of them.

Do you worry about any sort of fall out with the players that Gerrard, seemingly, attracted to the club? ie. Coutinho and Kamara?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #4858 on: August 10, 2022, 09:57:36 PM »

I think so aswell.

Do you worry about any sort of fall out with the players that Gerrard, seemingly, attracted to the club? ie. Coutinho and Kamara?

Coutinho will probably lose interest after world cup anyway, just play Buendia more and keep him around until he goes to MLS.

Don't see Kamara becoming disengaged if we then appointed a Pochettino.

Offline Ads

• GM : 10.04.2023
« Reply #4859 on: August 10, 2022, 10:07:16 PM »

I think so aswell.

Coutinho will probably lose interest after world cup anyway, just play Buendia more and keep him around until he goes to MLS.

Don't see Kamara becoming disengaged if we then appointed a Pochettino.

I find this sort of doomongering so weird.

There's a fetishism on here for graver, bleaker, darker evidence free predictions. I can't abide it to be honest. It's a reflection I suspect of the current political discourse and the destruction of the centre.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal