collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Mahmoud Hassan (Trezeguet) - SOLD by Matt C
[Today at 01:03:47 PM]

Watkins, Ings or both? by paul_e
[Today at 01:00:01 PM]

Ashley Young by sid1964
[Today at 12:55:15 PM]

Bournemouth by LeeB
[Today at 12:53:08 PM]

Carney Chukwuemeka by Rigadon
[Today at 12:47:38 PM]

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread by algy
[Today at 12:37:01 PM]

Crest Review by LeeB
[Today at 12:33:44 PM]

The cycling thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:23:16 PM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 16197 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 19061 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 14971 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 14269 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 14861 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager  (Read 257247 times)

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 07.04.2022
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #3855 on: May 22, 2022, 10:35:44 PM »
Fair comments….Sorry…I’m just a bit pissed off and I have a house full of women….

Alright Hugh, don't rub it in.

Offline AGRIPPA

« Reply #3856 on: May 23, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
Fair comments….Sorry…I’m just a bit pissed off and I have a house full of women….

Alright Hugh, don't rub it in.

Hahaha

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 24.08.2022
« Reply #3857 on: May 23, 2022, 09:35:50 AM »
Is this stuff about Beale going to Charlton true?

I noticed he looked to be absent from that informal group photo of  the players and staff posted the other day.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #3858 on: May 23, 2022, 09:45:55 AM »
Is this stuff about Beale going to Charlton true?

I noticed he looked to be absent from that informal group photo of  the players and staff posted the other day.
He was at a family wedding

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2022
« Reply #3859 on: May 23, 2022, 10:07:11 AM »
One positive about Steven Gerrard’s management at Aston Villa is that he seems to spot a good player. He hasn’t signed anyone who is utter gash as yet. Chambers, Digne, Coutinho and now Bouba! Olsen decent enough for a back up.  Hope there’s a few more in.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #3860 on: May 23, 2022, 05:46:06 PM »
I think he’s going to be brilliant for us - provided he learns from his mistakes like the substitution yesterday. You can’t park the bus against Man C or Liverpool, the only way to protect a lead is as much ball retention as possible and PC was the best man on the pitch to do that. But he’s a bloody determined character and bright I think, so I don’t mind him learning a bit on the job as long as he wises up quickly.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3861 on: May 23, 2022, 06:01:54 PM »
Plus, even if he does tank and get sacked, we'll have a miles better quad off the back of it at this rate

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3862 on: May 23, 2022, 06:11:35 PM »
Plus, even if he does tank and get sacked, we'll have a miles better quad off the back of it at this rate

Something that regularly gets ignored by people claiming we'd be mad to 'let him waste a fortune'. These aren't MoN-ish signings of average old players who don't improve the squad and have no resale value, we're adding real quality so far.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 15.05.2023
« Reply #3863 on: May 23, 2022, 06:22:42 PM »

Something that regularly gets ignored by people claiming we'd be mad to 'let him waste a fortune'. These aren't MoN-ish signings of average old players who don't improve the squad and have no resale value, we're adding real quality so far.

No the “waste a load of money” stuff is just nonsense. We’re signing quality players.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #3864 on: May 23, 2022, 06:24:27 PM »
I think Gerrard will improve us given time. If we are to believe what’s being banded about, we are looking for quality and not quantity.
It looks like he can see what we all can and the spine of the team needs improving. Didn’t Gerrard say we’d all be excited by the summer transfer plans? If that’s backed up, I can see us having a real go at a Europa place next season.
Of course, it all depends on everything coming together but we do already have some quality and the young lads coming through.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #3865 on: May 23, 2022, 06:28:55 PM »

That's fair. And Kamara is a good sign by all accounts.

What i want to see though (to convince me) is that the summer/pre-season reflects recognition of the three things we seem to have lacked all season (and for some time now) - we need to add some real 'bite' in the team (Keane is not my cup of tea but he was spot on when he said we were soft yesterday - we need some "not on my watch" nastiness in this team), we need players who are not just good footballers but who are intelligent (teams and players will have an off day but when they do, the players need to slow the game down, frustrate the opposition, re-group, and change the game plan which requires mental as much as physical talent), and we need a level of tactical proficiency that shows that the managers and coaches are actively seeing and reacting to whats going on during the game.

Getting those three things right - fundamentals - will certainly give the club every chance to put this last season behind them.     

UTV

Offline jwarry

« Reply #3866 on: May 25, 2022, 02:17:19 PM »
Just listened to his end of season interview on AVTV and I think the most telling thing he said was that it was frustrating that some players were struggling to fit into the style he wants to play and that this was the main reason for the inconsistency.  He was basically saying he doesn’t want to play how Dean likes to play but he inherited Dean’s players so how to work around things.  I’m pretty sure that will mean not keeping possession all over the pitch but primarily the centre halves and defensive midfield.  It also tells me Dean probably took as far as he was capable

Online john e

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #3867 on: May 26, 2022, 09:43:48 AM »
One of the things I like about Gerrard when he talks is he doesn’t try and manage expectations or downplay our ambition
it really is Europe or bust in the next couple of years, Whether he will be up to it or not time will tell but If he’s not he’s definitely going out on his shield

In the past small steps of improvement have been seen as success No matter how much money has been spent
Well we’ve just finished 14th if we finish say 12th next year it won’t be seen as success, and Gerrard is the one leading the high levels of expectation which is something I’ve always wanted to see from a Villa manager

Yes he talks a very good game and he has now got to back it up starting next season

I’m very hopeful but I’ve been here before

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #3868 on: May 26, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »
One of the things I like about Gerrard when he talks is he doesn’t try and manage expectations or downplay our ambition
it really is Europe or bust in the next couple of years, Whether he will be up to it or not time will tell but If he’s not he’s definitely going out on his shield

In the past small steps of improvement have been seen as success No matter how much money has been spent
Well we’ve just finished 14th if we finish say 12th next year it won’t be seen as success, and Gerrard is the one leading the high levels of expectation which is something I’ve always wanted to see from a Villa manager

Yes he talks a very good game and he has now got to back it up starting next season

I’m very hopeful but I’ve been here before

That's what I like too, and he also doesn't try to spin a poor performance or defeat.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #3869 on: May 26, 2022, 10:23:58 AM »
I really like the way gerrard operates. No nosense. Wants to get things done asap and wont tolerate excuses. Abit of a no crap  personality.  Think thats whats been needed since we came up.

Also he seems to be a bit shrewd in his transfer business if uou look at his signings

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal