collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ashley Young by Risso
[Today at 01:37:14 PM]

Summer 2022 Transfer Thread by Risso
[Today at 01:33:45 PM]

Mahmoud Hassan (Trezeguet) - SOLD by Ger Regan
[Today at 01:26:06 PM]

Next season's kits by chrisw1
[Today at 01:20:13 PM]

Watkins, Ings or both? by chrisw1
[Today at 01:12:05 PM]

Bournemouth by LeeB
[Today at 12:53:08 PM]

Carney Chukwuemeka by Rigadon
[Today at 12:47:38 PM]

Crest Review by LeeB
[Today at 12:33:44 PM]

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 16233 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 19097 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 15004 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 14305 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 14897 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager  (Read 257262 times)

Offline boozey182

• GM : PCM
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #3780 on: May 20, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »
A few posters are saying that the coaching team are not getting the best out of the current squad. These are the same players that Smith couldn’t get the best out of too. I’d be interested to know which players in the current squad could be improved beyond their current level??

Off the top of my head I think that McGinn (up until the last few weeks), Watkins, Ings, Coutinho, Buendia (largely because he hasn't been picked) and Konsa have all been performing below their capabilities generally - or at least not contributing as much as they could. There are a variety of reasons for that, but that is a huge chunk of the first team.

You could look at it like this - how many of Newcastle, Brighton, Wolves, Palace, Brentford etc have better squads than us? I would say not many/any of them. We are part of a mini-league that all have similar squads, and we are finishing towards the bottom, with only Southampton and maybe Everton performing worse than us.

Is our squad good enough to finish in the top 6? Absolutely not. Are there more than 6 worse squads in the league than ours? Yes, I am certain there are, and that's why I think so many are disappointed with how the season has gone.

This will get fixed in the summer, I am certain of it. A full pre-season of working on this, coupled with a few top-quality additions and we'll be fine. But this season hasn't been good enough from the playing staff or the management.

Online ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #3781 on: May 20, 2022, 03:05:41 PM »
A few posters are saying that the coaching team are not getting the best out of the current squad. These are the same players that Smith couldn’t get the best out of too. I’d be interested to know which players in the current squad could be improved beyond their current level??

Bailey, Konsa, Watkins, Traore, Ramsey, Buendia and Luiz are all young and have all shown themselves to be far better in some games than they manage in most games. Raising the number of games they hit form in would see us pick up a lot more points.

Offline Allan C

« Reply #3782 on: May 20, 2022, 05:10:19 PM »

Bailey, Konsa, Watkins, Traore, Ramsey, Buendia and Luiz are all young and have all shown themselves to be far better in some games than they manage in most games. Raising the number of games they hit form in would see us pick up a lot more points.
With the exception of Ramsey and Buendia, the others are all players that many posters on this thread and others have said should be got rid of. So either they’re not good enough or they could improve with better coaching?? Two coaching teams haven’t improved them sufficiently so I think it’s the former. Maybe they’ve reached their level?? Either way Gerrard shouldn’t be judged with a squad predominately of Smiths.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3783 on: May 20, 2022, 05:48:20 PM »
There's a lot made of the 'failure' of the Director of Football role in switching from Smith to Gerrard. It might just be that our football philosophy has switched direction away from Smith-type managers and towards Gerrard-type managers having seen the weaknesses in the Smith-style system. Either way, I'd be cautious about writing off the approach after a single change in direction. If we swap playing styles for 3-4 managers in a row then obviously there's an issue there, but one change - when the previous manager was appointed by a different DoF - doesn't seem that awful to me. Not ideal, of course, but equally I don't think it's enough to set alarm bells ringing either.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3784 on: May 20, 2022, 05:58:41 PM »

With the exception of Ramsey and Buendia, the others are all players that many posters on this thread and others have said should be got rid of. So either they’re not good enough or they could improve with better coaching?? Two coaching teams haven’t improved them sufficiently so I think it’s the former. Maybe they’ve reached their level?? Either way Gerrard shouldn’t be judged with a squad predominately of Smiths.

Regarding your last sentence Howe is getting judged with a squad predominately of Bruce’s, so why can’t he be judged in any way, when he’s had 27 games?

Offline Allan C

« Reply #3785 on: May 20, 2022, 06:44:37 PM »

Regarding your last sentence Howe is getting judged with a squad predominately of Bruce’s, so why can’t he be judged in any way, when he’s had 27 games?
Fair shout I guess but there’s an absolutely massive gap between the the coaching capability of Bruce and Howe as we know only too well.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 18.05.2023
« Reply #3786 on: May 20, 2022, 07:35:18 PM »

Konsa (for sure), Luiz (peak level post restart was exceptional), McGinn (arguable but I think in an advanced position he could kick on).

It's more about the collective though, should the squad be doing a lot better than 11th or 14th over the past two seasons? Are West Ham miles better than us player given they were down fighting relegation with us a few years back?

Gerrard's quotes very much suggests he is going to try and gut the squad this summer.

Offline danno

« Reply #3787 on: May 20, 2022, 07:39:48 PM »

Konsa (for sure), Luiz (peak level post restart was exceptional), McGinn (arguable but I think in an advanced position he could kick on).

It's more about the collective though, should the squad be doing a lot better than 11th or 14th over the past two seasons? Are West Ham miles better than us player given they were down fighting relegation with us a few years back?

Gerrard's quotes very much suggests he is going to try and gut the squad this summer.

I think if we swapped Luiz and McGinn for Soucek and Rice, we would be seventh and they would be fourteenth.
Sort the midfield out and I think we'd make the top half quite comfortably.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3788 on: May 20, 2022, 08:11:19 PM »
I agree with Danno, the balance of our midfield is wrong and has been for 3 years. Smith got sacked for not fixing, Gerrard already has people wanting him sacked because he hasn't fixed it yet. If we get to the start of next season and still haven't got a proper DM then I'll be very surprised but also I'll be expecting the gerrard in/out thread to resurface pretty quickly because it's so glaringly obvious that we need to fix it.

Online ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #3789 on: May 20, 2022, 08:46:59 PM »
There's a lot made of the 'failure' of the Director of Football role in switching from Smith to Gerrard. It might just be that our football philosophy has switched direction away from Smith-type managers and towards Gerrard-type managers having seen the weaknesses in the Smith-style system. Either way, I'd be cautious about writing off the approach after a single change in direction. If we swap playing styles for 3-4 managers in a row then obviously there's an issue there, but one change - when the previous manager was appointed by a different DoF - doesn't seem that awful to me. Not ideal, of course, but equally I don't think it's enough to set alarm bells ringing either.

I'd agree, but I have a strong suspicion that Lange had nothing to do with Gerrard being appointed. I think Gerrard was Purslows appointment, and Lange was not much involved in the decision. Regardless though, a lot of the players we have in the squad were signed for their suitability to play in Smiths system, and do not suit Gerrards.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #3790 on: May 20, 2022, 08:53:18 PM »

I'd agree, but I have a strong suspicion that Lange had nothing to do with Gerrard being appointed. I think Gerrard was Purslows appointment, and Lange was not much involved in the decision. Regardless though, a lot of the players we have in the squad were signed for their suitability to play in Smiths system, and do not suit Gerrards.

They quite clearly didn't suit Smith, as shown by both the dismal results and the chopping and changing of the team and formation on a weekly basis.

I think the plan was for Buendia to take on the Grealish ball carrying/creative role, and for Bailey to be a big upgrade in the more conventional wide player spot usually taken by El Ghazi/Traore/Trez. This however, was buggered up by Bailey always being injured/taking time to settle and the signing of Ings.

Online ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #3791 on: May 20, 2022, 09:18:19 PM »

They quite clearly didn't suit Smith, as shown by both the dismal results and the chopping and changing of the team and formation on a weekly basis.

I think the plan was for Buendia to take on the Grealish ball carrying/creative role, and for Bailey to be a big upgrade in the more conventional wide player spot usually taken by El Ghazi/Traore/Trez. This however, was buggered up by Bailey always being injured/taking time to settle and the signing of Ings.

I am not sure any players would have suited Smith, who was clearly out of his depth without Jack to carry his team for him.

But yes I think that was the plan, and not a very good one. As good as Buendia is (and I wanted us to sign him the previous season) he is not suited to that role. Bailey may well be an upgrade on El Ghazi (yet to be proven in terms of output) but even if he had been fully fit Gerrard doesn't play wingers so is unlikely to flourish here.

Agree Ings was a panic buy, and the seeming need to play him but not drop Watkins sealed Smiths fate. That and the ludicrous three centre backs system with the hapless Tuanzebe.

Gerrard wouldn't have been my choice as manager, and I was surprised when he was appointed, but I think he is an improvement on Smith and that he will do well when he has a squad better suited to his preferred way of playing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #3792 on: May 20, 2022, 09:55:07 PM »
Ryan Kent seemed to play a lot of games for Gerrard at Rangers. I have no interest in Scottish foottball at all, but he's a winger isn't he?

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #3793 on: May 20, 2022, 10:47:00 PM »
No idea. I have no interest in Scottish football either.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 21.02.2023
« Reply #3794 on: May 21, 2022, 09:45:35 PM »
All our problems can be summarised in that the midfield 3 aren’t good enough to a) provide physical protection to the back 4 and are all small physically b) lack the athleticism to progress the ball and themselves quickly in transition and c) are all being played out of position. I think Ramsey has the athleticism but lacks physicality in the defensive aspects currently. Luiz is just not suited to PL football lovely ball player though he is he doesn’t have the required athleticism or physicality to cope with PL and slows our play down too much. McGinn is a real Curates Egg of a player I like him and some bits are convincing but…..

Some of the Ramsey/McGinn issues potentially disappear with a very good quality replacement for Luiz as the holding midfielder.

I’d agree with others that upgrading the spine with stronger more athletic and physical players will help enormously.

Also it’s increasingly apparent we have transitioned very quickly back to a more natural position for our club and we need to realise that maybe our recruitment has struggled to keep up with the pace we’ve improved and we’ve missed opportunities to shift players who really aren’t part of the next step and take any profit we could have got, El Ghazi being the prime example. There are a number of players  who’ve been part of the journey so far but are
No where near the standard required moving forwards.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal