collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 4308 | Comments: 5

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 7096 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3686 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3011 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...
August 06, 2021, 06:39:59 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 3282 | Comments: 11

The new name for the 100 ball ...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager  (Read 113841 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #1275 on: November 30, 2021, 04:54:12 PM »
What was the reply?

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1276 on: November 30, 2021, 05:00:05 PM »
Love how he handled tom toss question about what does he say to the players before they leave the dressing  room. That shut him up fishing for info 🤣
When I watch those pressers and they finally get round to Tom Ross, thatís my cue to turn off now.
He always comes across as trying to be over familiar as if heís closer and more in the know with whoever the current manager is than anyone else in the (virtual) room.

Offline nigel

« Reply #1277 on: November 30, 2021, 06:24:26 PM »
What was the reply?

I ainít telling you, itís private.

That was his answer to Tom Ross, not mine to you 😂

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1278 on: November 30, 2021, 06:31:21 PM »
What was the reply?

I ainít telling you, itís private.

That was his answer to Tom Ross, not mine to you 😂
excellent.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1279 on: November 30, 2021, 06:37:08 PM »
Love how he handled tom toss question about what does he say to the players before they leave the dressing  room. That shut him up fishing for info 🤣
When I watch those pressers and they finally get round to Tom Ross, thatís my cue to turn off now.
He always comes across as trying to be over familiar as if heís closer and more in the know with whoever the current manager is than anyone else in the (virtual) room.

Tom Ross is alright. I think that's just his style. There are worse journalists to be annoyed about that him.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2022
« Reply #1280 on: November 30, 2021, 06:41:08 PM »

At least Tom Ross tries to come up with something orginal.  All the standard stuff has been asked and he usually tries to add a bit of interest.  In my view he brings a bit of charachter to a very formulaic process.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2022
« Reply #1282 on: November 30, 2021, 09:24:14 PM »
He's quite clearly addressed some defensive issues we've had already in a very short period. We look solid so he gets great credit for that.  Big test coming up to see if we can maintain that.
I don't think he has addressed any of the issues  just yet and I hope he will. The two results are derived from new manager/player effort impact.

Out of interest, what issues don't you think he has addressed?
We conceded another poor goal like the ones we having been conceding all season.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 28.04.2022
« Reply #1283 on: November 30, 2021, 09:28:08 PM »
He's quite clearly addressed some defensive issues we've had already in a very short period. We look solid so he gets great credit for that.  Big test coming up to see if we can maintain that.
I don't think he has addressed any of the issues  just yet and I hope he will. The two results are derived from new manager/player effort impact.

He's stopped playing 3 CB's which clearly wasn't working and made us stronger defensively overall by removing a defender and reinforcing midfield. We look better organized and not the bunch of clueless clowns we were the previous 5 games. What more could he have done in under 2 weeks? By categorizing it simply as new manager/player effort you are dimissing actual, tangible changes he has introduced.
TV I will be delighted if we keep winning and not conceding however I think we need to wait to judge it all. I am not going over the top after two wins just as I wouldnít have panicked if we had lost both games. We just need to see how things are after about 10 games.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 23.01.2023
« Reply #1284 on: November 30, 2021, 09:32:13 PM »

He's stopped playing 3 CB's which clearly wasn't working and made us stronger defensively overall by removing a defender and reinforcing midfield. We look better organized and not the bunch of clueless clowns we were the previous 5 games. What more could he have done in under 2 weeks? By categorizing it simply as new manager/player effort you are dimissing actual, tangible changes he has introduced.
TV I will be delighted if we keep winning and not conceding however I think we need to wait to judge it all. I am not going over the top after two wins just as I wouldnít have panicked if we had lost both games. We just need to see how things are after about 10 games.

of course and everyone is on the same page on that. But in quick order he's made simple tweaks and we look better. I don't think for a second he's under any illusion or any of us for that matter that everything is fine and dandy. 5 defeats clearly kicked a lot of confidence out of the players. But we are better than the what we were showing and at least we can see signs we might be getting back to a level of play that better represents where we should be finishing this season.

Online FrankyH

• GM : 18.05.2020
« Reply #1285 on: November 30, 2021, 10:16:06 PM »

Tom Ross has been around the block with Midlands football and will have formed some good friendships through his media work within the football community . I think he had a good relationship with Deano going back to his playing days and being a manager at Walsall and Villa. His podcasts "The Games Gone" are very good as he has a great interviewing style where he lets the guest just talk when they have interesting material. That said it was funny Gerrard gave him short shrift , but to be fair to Tom Ross he took it in good humour.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1286 on: December 01, 2021, 01:37:19 AM »
Do we not have a word filter for 'fickle'? Not disputing your use of it SE, but it is possibly the most misunderstood and overused word when it comes to Villa.

According to the Cambridge dictionary, fickle is: likely to change your opinion or your feelings suddenly and without a good reason.

When DOL used the word, he failed to understand that regularly playing shit and losing football matches IS good reason.

It has somehow become uniquely attached to us as a fanbase to the extent that there was media coverage describing Villa fans as 'fickle' when there were those protests against McLeish being appointed. We can each have our opinions of those protests and the feelings behind them, but they were not fickle.

'Fickle' would be me saying I now love Gerrard, setting up a little nativity scene involving various cardboard cutouts, and then attacking/destroying them if we lose to Man City.

I still think he's a miserable prick, I still don't like him. But as long as he's our manager, I want him to win games for Aston Villa. If we have a couple of poor results, I won't jump on him just because I don't like him. I'm never going to meet him; I don't have to like him. I want him to be successful because I want Villa to be successful.

Sorry for the rant, but it infuriates me that we've become a 'fickle' fanbase when, in reality, we're happy when Villa are doing well and unhappy when they're not, same as any football fan.
I now absolutely have to make a nativity scene with cardboard cutouts of Stevie G.

Way ahead of you, mate.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1287 on: December 01, 2021, 03:24:42 AM »
Is he bench injured or injured injured? How can you get more injured from sitting on the bench?

You do realize they train in-between games?

The commentator at the Palace match said Ings suffered from a pre-game 'niggle' so looks like that has now become an injury proper.

Offline Ian.

• GM : 14.09.2022
« Reply #1288 on: December 01, 2021, 07:19:35 AM »

Out of interest, what issues don't you think he has addressed?
We conceded another poor goal like the ones we having been conceding all season.

That was a sloppy goal, but we have stopped the excessive amount of shots at our goal which I think has been a stat with us for quite a while, since being promoted. Itís only two games though. Itís been a very positive start though, I couldnít of asked for more.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1289 on: December 01, 2021, 10:16:49 AM »
That goal scarcely mattered, the game was won. Mings just switched-off as he sometimes does. I'd ban him from chewing gum.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal