collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 76326 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 99987 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 100729 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 95987 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 94996 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 416259 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4965 on: August 12, 2022, 09:21:49 AM »
No matter what got to allow him time to swim or sink.  The world cup break is the obvious review time.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 12.11.2022
« Reply #4966 on: August 12, 2022, 09:25:16 AM »
No matter what got to allow him time to swim or sink.  The world cup break is the obvious review time.
Yeah - I think that is a fair point for review.  I can only see him going if top half is impossible at that point tbh.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4967 on: August 12, 2022, 09:39:54 AM »
Just to confirm, Steven Gerrard entered 9 competitions with 'Rangers'. Of these, he was beaten in a two horse race by the likes of St Mirren and Hearts. He did win the league, but only as Celtic imploded and the entire league went behind closed doors, financially crippling everyone but the Old Firm. In this time he was outmanaged and outthought by Neil Lennon who we (rightly) don't want anywhere near Villa, and has proven himself to be a failure in the English league multiple times.

Gerrard was given a pretty much blank chequebook, and has taken Villa to the dizzying heights of 14th. He did worse than Newly promoted Brentford. I can't emphasize that enough, Brentford whose record signing is cheaper than a month of our highest earner's wage bill did better. Steven Gerrard was an utter failure at 'Rangers' and he's about to be proven to be the same at Villa, unless we get rid of him and introduce someone who knows how to succeed in the english league. Ideas? Thomas Frank? Well he did more than SG with less. If we're insisting that he was a success in Scotland, why not have Ange from Celtic? He has won more in 9 months than SG managed in 3 years.

You do understand that he took over a club who had got 10 points from their first 11 games, right? On the points he got from the games he was in charge, we'd have been 9th. He can't really be faulted for the pig's ear Smith made of the first part of the season.

We'd had a shit run granted, but you do seem to be determined to extrapolate that to mean we were relegation certainties in these discussions, which I disagree with.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4968 on: August 12, 2022, 09:44:49 AM »
Just to confirm, Steven Gerrard entered 9 competitions with 'Rangers'. Of these, he was beaten in a two horse race by the likes of St Mirren and Hearts. He did win the league, but only as Celtic imploded and the entire league went behind closed doors, financially crippling everyone but the Old Firm. In this time he was outmanaged and outthought by Neil Lennon who we (rightly) don't want anywhere near Villa, and has proven himself to be a failure in the English league multiple times.

Gerrard was given a pretty much blank chequebook, and has taken Villa to the dizzying heights of 14th. He did worse than Newly promoted Brentford. I can't emphasize that enough, Brentford whose record signing is cheaper than a month of our highest earner's wage bill did better. Steven Gerrard was an utter failure at 'Rangers' and he's about to be proven to be the same at Villa, unless we get rid of him and introduce someone who knows how to succeed in the english league. Ideas? Thomas Frank? Well he did more than SG with less. If we're insisting that he was a success in Scotland, why not have Ange from Celtic? He has won more in 9 months than SG managed in 3 years.

You do understand that he took over a club who had got 10 points from their first 11 games, right? On the points he got from the games he was in charge, we'd have been 9th. He can't really be faulted for the pig's ear Smith made of the first part of the season.

We'd had a shit run granted, but you do seem to be determined to extrapolate that to mean we were relegation certainties in these discussions, which I disagree with.

Yep. We were streaky under Dean (not a good thing to be) and we'd have comfortably stayed up. Again, that wouldn't have been good enough, but the idea that we were doomed is way wide of the mark, in my futurological opinion.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2023
« Reply #4969 on: August 12, 2022, 09:47:54 AM »
If there is a problem with the players its not surprising.
Here is a list of players that probably think they have a good reason to be pissed off with the manager.
Mings
Watkins- dropped saturday
Buendia- dropped relegated to Bench since Phil came in
Chambers- has not let us down and a threat in the opposition box
Luis dropped saturday
Sanson- wont play him even when he has looked decent in pre-season
Traore- abandoned
I am not saying that all of them should be in the team but it does not take much to create a them and us situation.

What a ridiculous post.  You could quote the bench of any PL team on any given day and say those players probably think they have a good reason to be pissed off with the manager.  Out of that lot only Sanson and very possibly Traore would have any reason to moan.  All the others have had ample game time.

Mings can be upset about the captaincy but not really about selection or a perceived sleight in an interview which has been taken out of context by virtually everyone who reported it.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4970 on: August 12, 2022, 09:49:34 AM »
If virtually everyone who reported it said the same thing, it probably wasn't taken out of context.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4971 on: August 12, 2022, 10:07:05 AM »
If virtually everyone who reported it said the same thing, it probably wasn't taken out of context.
Surprise that people wanted a headline.

Did you listen to the full interview?  I posted it on this thread so it's not tricky to find.

People quoted one line.  When you read / hear the whole thing it doesn't come accross anywhere near as bad as reported, particularly with reference to the injury. 

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 07.04.2022
« Reply #4972 on: August 12, 2022, 10:08:43 AM »

Spot on. Deano's a nice guy but it felt like he'd lost his way and that we were in real danger of getting sucked into the relegation battle. I'm not convinced we'd have got out of it so in the end was glad he was relieved before it got too toxic. That subsequent run of 4 wins before Xmas under Gerrard gave us the necessary breathing space and eliminated any worries about relegation.

Oh and for some apparently winning a league title by going undefeated doesn't count as success because the Champions they deposed had only won it nine times in a row or something or other. ::)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 12.11.2022
« Reply #4973 on: August 12, 2022, 10:11:42 AM »

Yep. We were streaky under Dean (not a good thing to be) and we'd have comfortably stayed up. Again, that wouldn't have been good enough, but the idea that we were doomed is way wide of the mark, in my futurological opinion.
So in the 11 games that Dean Played and got 10 points, in the reverse fixtures SG got less (6 I believe). 

SG position was massively boosted by the 6 points we got against Norwich, which Im pretty sure I could have got

Im not saying we shouldnt have sacked Dean or saying that SG isnt the right person.  But I dont think saying we would have been relegated under Smith, or would have finished 9th under SG if he had a full season is a fair reflection.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4974 on: August 12, 2022, 10:14:46 AM »
Surprise that people wanted a headline.

Did you listen to the full interview?  I posted it on this thread so it's not tricky to find.

People quoted one line.  When you read / hear the whole thing it doesn't come accross anywhere near as bad as reported, particularly with reference to the injury. 

I did, and it does.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4975 on: August 12, 2022, 10:17:40 AM »
Well it doesn't but you've never been objective about your opinion on Gerrard so no reason to expect that to change now.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4976 on: August 12, 2022, 10:23:10 AM »
Well it doesn't but you've never been objective about your opinion on Gerrard so no reason to expect that to change now.

Yes, it was just me that thought it problematic.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4977 on: August 12, 2022, 10:29:53 AM »

I think I've been objective, and it made me raise my one eyebrow like a Spitting Image Roger Moore.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4978 on: August 12, 2022, 10:31:18 AM »
It's a throwaway line in an interview where Gerrard talks about Mings carrying an injury and fighting for his place.

A single line was then reported with glee linked to the wider context of him losing the captaincy because it makes good copy. 

The point I raise is not that Mings shouldn't be dissapointed about losing the captaicy or his place - oif course he should.  Just that when taken if full context the interview is nowhere near as bad as the click-bait media so gleefully report (and of course people on forums who have never had an objective opinion on Gerrard from the start)

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #4979 on: August 12, 2022, 10:34:45 AM »
It all becomes chip paper if the players and manager start performing. We've done our decades of disappointment now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal