collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 82905 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 106571 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 107167 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 102323 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 101304 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 420936 times)

Offline Didier Five

Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4920 on: August 11, 2022, 02:04:36 PM »
Quite how you deduce that from my post I'm not sure. His front line has changed about a bit, but the tactics are the same, full back forward, cross lots, press a bit. None of which has been executed well.

I deduce that by saying he has no Plan B but has changed it around a bit is at least a Plan B, whether he has one strikers or plays two strikers. Or by playing a number ten and a winger alongside a forward?

It isn't though is it. Because Ings and Watkins together mainly resulted in one going out wide, and the style of play and tactics not changing at all. A minimal variation on the same theme is not a plan b. To be fair that is not to say no plan b is an issue, providing plan a wins more often than not. Unfortunately it doesn't.

I'll give up at this point if you think that a variation to a style of play and formation line up is the same and not changing at all. Have a good day.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #4921 on: August 11, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »
Bournemouth looks like a pivotal moment.
Unless we beat Everton of course.
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

But yes some may have an agenda.

What does this mean?

I think it's like a list of things you plan to do or talk about that you use in a meeting.

"Okay, just going through the action points from our last meeting. Daniel and Oliver, you were going to look into the topic of scoring goals and get back to us. Any progress with that?"

*Awkward silence

(Meanwhile, behind them, Cameron Archer is literally straining to raise his arm any higher to the ceiling because he knows the fucking answer)

That's just made me laugh loads.

Offline villainabroad

« Reply #4922 on: August 11, 2022, 02:13:30 PM »
'Come good.' It's almost as if form, motivation and all sorts of other factors don't count. Which might be where the manager comes in (or doesn't).

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #4923 on: August 11, 2022, 02:22:40 PM »
Didn't SG say we would have finished 9th with the results since he took over. Granted it is not the most robust of claims, but if true represents a clear improvement over Dean.

Given the two transfer windows and a full preseason though he will be under pressure to at least reproduce this form and most likely will be challenged by the board to push for Europe.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #4924 on: August 11, 2022, 02:23:27 PM »
We've had 4 years of McGinn and Mings, 3 of Luiz and two of Watkins. People still think they're going to magically come good, but are prepared to write Gerrard off after less than a full season.

The most realistic and sensible thing i have seen on this thread

I think the difference is that all those players have showed some signs in a Villa Shirt that they are decent players, whereas I haven't seen anything yet to suggest Gerrard has the tactical or motivational qualities to suggest that he will be decent. I'm still prepared to give him a chance but we need some signs that there is some sort of improvement.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4925 on: August 11, 2022, 02:31:32 PM »
We limped home last season, and if you do that you need to start the next season well or questions start to get asked.

Deano had the same problem, but he'd just lost his best player and also had the credit of getting us back up and rebuilding a side to compete in double quick time, which Gerrard doesn't.

It's often true that opinions on this board don't represent the wider support on other social media, but I'm sensing from what I'm seeing elsewhere that there isn't a lot of patience or belief that he's going to sort it out, which is understandable as there's not much evidence.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4926 on: August 11, 2022, 03:30:39 PM »
Didier Five?  You mean Cinq surely?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4927 on: August 11, 2022, 04:07:10 PM »
I completely understand the context of the last 12 games of last season canít be ignored, but with that in mind neither can the 10 or 11 games before that when we were doing better.

Deano had a decent start at Villa, then an awful run followed by a great run, this tended to be the patten of his stewardship one way or another. 

So it happens with a side trying to progress rather than one thats up there.

Given all of that, i really struggle with the fact that in the second week in August this forum has been having such a wobble this week. Surely we have to give this season a chance to at least try and get going

Offline TonyD

« Reply #4928 on: August 11, 2022, 04:07:27 PM »
We limped home last season, and if you do that you need to start the next season well or questions start to get asked.

Deano had the same problem, but he'd just lost his best player and also had the credit of getting us back up and rebuilding a side to compete in double quick time, which Gerrard doesn't.

It's often true that opinions on this board don't represent the wider support on other social media, but I'm sensing from what I'm seeing elsewhere that there isn't a lot of patience or belief that he's going to sort it out, which is understandable as there's not much evidence.
Has a quick look on VT.  They are even more universally critical of SG.  Even discussing who will be the next manager.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 09.05.2023
« Reply #4929 on: August 11, 2022, 04:16:42 PM »
We've had 4 years of McGinn and Mings, 3 of Luiz and two of Watkins. People still think they're going to magically come good, but are prepared to write Gerrard off after less than a full season.

No, not really. We are not here to train managers. So far he has not shown he's capable of doing any better than the man he replaced, in fact he is worse, and he has had plenty of time. 

Have you wiped out Dean Smith's 11 games last season from your mind? We got 10 points from them. Gerrard came in and improved on that. We weren't great mostly, but we need more than ONE game this season to see how he's going to do.
I agree that Dean was not good enough and needed to be replaced but we ended up appointing a half cooked coach who has made a marginal improvement purely through some initial results but mostly it's been nonsense. Nonsense on the the field and nonsense off it with his stupid self-important comments. If this nonsense carries on I want to see him gone by October.

Online kippaxvilla2

« Reply #4930 on: August 11, 2022, 04:19:11 PM »
Put it this way if youíre going to replace Smith for an upgrade is Gerrard really your first and only choice?

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4931 on: August 11, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
I completely understand the context of the last 12 games of last season canít be ignored, but with that in mind neither can the 10 or 11 games before that when we were doing better.

It's 23 points from the last 22 games.

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #4932 on: August 11, 2022, 04:23:08 PM »
Put it this way if youíre going to replace Smith for an upgrade is Gerrard really your first and only choice?

At the time, Purslow made it sound like.. yes?

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #4933 on: August 11, 2022, 04:34:43 PM »

No, not really. We are not here to train managers. So far he has not shown he's capable of doing any better than the man he replaced, in fact he is worse, and he has had plenty of time. 

Have you wiped out Dean Smith's 11 games last season from your mind? We got 10 points from them. Gerrard came in and improved on that. We weren't great mostly, but we need more than ONE game this season to see how he's going to do.
I agree that Dean was not good enough and needed to be replaced but we ended up appointing a half cooked coach who has made a marginal improvement purely through some initial results but mostly it's been nonsense. Nonsense on the the field and nonsense off it with his stupid self-important comments. If this nonsense carries on I want to see him gone by October.

I think it was one of Simon Kuper's football books from about 20 years back that pointed out how statiscally most of the 'new manager bounce' myth was just down to the probability of teams having a good run of results after having had a bad run which precipitated the sacking, and most managerial appointments make little actual difference.

And that seems to fit here.

Offline supertom

« Reply #4934 on: August 11, 2022, 04:38:01 PM »
Like every manager going into a new season after their first proper pre-season, he should get 10 games.
Conjecture in the press about some of the squad finding Gerrard difficult because he demands high standards is probably typical press nonsense, but if there's any truth to it, it only makes me side with the manager if players want an easy ride. We're not the only club more than half the league are similar from the outside looking in. Players earn a fortune and it doesn't hurt like it should to lose.

I still think Gerrard will pull it around. The 'right manager' doesn't exist. It's a fairy tale. By being mediocre thus far he's still surpassed all but Smith (they're on par all told) in the last decade. Who (realistically) comes here and takes us up to where we want to be?  Sometimes just fresh ideas is enough to give you 12 months of a boost and then it all happens again (Smith). It's not just unavoidably 'Villa' it's the modern game. Gerrard being who he is has given us a boost. We've got players we'd never have attracted under Smith, regardless of whether they ultimately succeed or not. As a consequence of course, Gerrard also has to live up to his own reputation. He's got 9 more games to see where the land lies. A huge thing for me will be improving the home form. In theory he's got the right ideas. The signings we've made have largely been impressive (on paper) over the last 18 months. We still haven't shaken off the loss of he who shall not be named.

And no, he doesn't help himself at times either. Persisting with Coutinho in the hope he rediscovers his form, whilst Beundia has consistently made a difference when he's come on is counterproductive. We've persisted through bad form with several players, and not always for lack of options. Throughout Gerrards time Mings should have been dropped (he has now granted), Konsa too, Ramsey hit an end-of-season lull, McGinn had a bad spell, albeit hit form again. Luiz just seemed to keep on playing despite largely being awful over 10 or so games as a 6. So as much as Gerrard has trumpeted players playing for a place and selecting on form, it's not always been the case. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal