collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The World Cup 2022 by pauliewalnuts
[December 07, 2022, 11:59:58 PM]

Stan Lynn and the art of the penalty by dave.woodhall
[December 07, 2022, 11:32:42 PM]

Villa related books by dave.woodhall
[December 07, 2022, 11:31:45 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2022/23 by Legion
[December 07, 2022, 11:10:16 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - signed by Bent Neilsens Screamer
[December 07, 2022, 10:52:38 PM]

January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread by Steve67
[December 07, 2022, 10:09:54 PM]

The International Cricket Thread by tomd2103
[December 07, 2022, 09:59:05 PM]

Tennis recycled - 2022 by cdbearsfan
[December 07, 2022, 09:53:15 PM]

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 82913 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 106579 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 107172 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 102328 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 101309 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 420966 times)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 16.12.2022
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4905 on: August 11, 2022, 12:27:35 PM »
We've had 4 years of McGinn and Mings, 3 of Luiz and two of Watkins. People still think they're going to magically come good, but are prepared to write Gerrard off after less than a full season.

Managers carry the can.

Same as it ever was.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2023
« Reply #4906 on: August 11, 2022, 12:29:05 PM »
"FERGIE! ON THE DOLE!"

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #4907 on: August 11, 2022, 12:59:05 PM »
Yes, those four years of Mings have been awful. Bit part player at Bournemouth to England international, he should hang his head in shame.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 28.01.2023
« Reply #4908 on: August 11, 2022, 01:00:59 PM »
We've had 4 years of McGinn and Mings, 3 of Luiz and two of Watkins. People still think they're going to magically come good, but are prepared to write Gerrard off after less than a full season.

The most realistic and sensible thing i have seen on this thread

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #4909 on: August 11, 2022, 01:02:22 PM »

Is anyone saying those players will magically get better?

The manager's job is to maximise the results from the players he's got available, whilst either developing them longer-term or bringing in better.

Gerrard has shown no ability to develop the players he's got (quite the opposite with Mings and Buendia) and the players he's brought in are not getting any better results than the ones before.

We're nearly a year on from when he was appointed and I don't see any sign of any improvement whatsoever, despite bringing in half a new first team.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : Feb, 2013
« Reply #4910 on: August 11, 2022, 01:27:53 PM »
Bournemouth looks like a pivotal moment.
Unless we beat Everton of course.
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

I’m sure every Villa fan wants us to win or try to win more games and hopefully playing half decent football while we’re at it irrespective of who the manager is.

We all think we know better than the owners  and manager on the runnings of the club and team but we can only judge on the evidence of how they perform in a game.

Of course every manager deserves time but we also need to be shown that things are clicking, that aspect has been all too rare and disappeared all too quickly. Hopefully the stuff they’ve worked on pre season, with his players, will pay dividends and Bournemouth was a blip. They had a few long periods without  games last season, with Beale on the team only to stink out the place in the games after.

We all want the best Mansger possible, was that Gerrard, maybe of the best available, maybe not, but it was a calculated gamble on potential and profile. It’s fine to be learning on the job if you do show signs of improvement and a bit of consistency. We’ve been consistently inconsistent, he now needs to give us something over the next 8-12 games and buck the trend of results against top half teams.

My fear is, with us, he’s a cheque book manager and there’s only so many of your own players you can bring in before you have to get the best out of what you’ve already got.

Don’t tell us, show us.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2023
« Reply #4911 on: August 11, 2022, 01:28:45 PM »

Yet you decided Smith wasn't good enough, using those very same players, despite improving our league position year on year.

Offline Didier Five

« Reply #4912 on: August 11, 2022, 01:34:10 PM »
I don't dislike him at all. I think he speaks well, was a brilliant player at a has bought some decent players. My issue is more that he doesn't adapt, has zero plan b, and appears wedded to a system that isn't working very well. I disliked Bruce because he was a monumental whinge bag. Gerrard just isn't a very good manager at the moment. Fingers crossed he gets better, quickly.

Zero plan B!! Do you think you have been wathcing the same formation and pattern of play week after week under Gerrard?

A very similar variation of the same approach yes. Short of a few weeks trying to get Watkins and Ings in the same side, it has been very much the same, executed to varying levels from average to utter shite, with the odd moment of quality.

So he has changed formation then and not stuck to a Plan A? During the social media era I have seen every Villa manger labelled as having no Plan B, In my humble opinion that is compete b*******

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4913 on: August 11, 2022, 01:40:34 PM »
Quite how you deduce that from my post I'm not sure. His front line has changed about a bit, but the tactics are the same, full back forward, cross lots, press a bit. None of which has been executed well.

Offline Didier Five

« Reply #4914 on: August 11, 2022, 01:44:43 PM »
Quite how you deduce that from my post I'm not sure. His front line has changed about a bit, but the tactics are the same, full back forward, cross lots, press a bit. None of which has been executed well.

I deduce that by saying he has no Plan B but has changed it around a bit is at least a Plan B, whether he has one strikers or plays two strikers. Or by playing a number ten and a winger alongside a forward?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4915 on: August 11, 2022, 01:48:55 PM »

I deduce that by saying he has no Plan B but has changed it around a bit is at least a Plan B, whether he has one strikers or plays two strikers. Or by playing a number ten and a winger alongside a forward?

It isn't though is it. Because Ings and Watkins together mainly resulted in one going out wide, and the style of play and tactics not changing at all. A minimal variation on the same theme is not a plan b. To be fair that is not to say no plan b is an issue, providing plan a wins more often than not. Unfortunately it doesn't.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #4916 on: August 11, 2022, 01:53:45 PM »

Yet you decided Smith wasn't good enough, using those very same players, despite improving our league position year on year.

He wasn't.

Online olaftab

• GM : 09.05.2023
« Reply #4917 on: August 11, 2022, 01:58:04 PM »

No, not really. We are not here to train managers. So far he has not shown he's capable of doing any better than the man he replaced, in fact he is worse, and he has had plenty of time. 

Offline Ads

• GM : 10.04.2023
« Reply #4918 on: August 11, 2022, 01:59:42 PM »
He hasn't had plenty of time at all. We need to be patient, critical yes, but patient.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #4919 on: August 11, 2022, 02:02:26 PM »

No, not really. We are not here to train managers. So far he has not shown he's capable of doing any better than the man he replaced, in fact he is worse, and he has had plenty of time. 

Have you wiped out Dean Smith's 11 games last season from your mind? We got 10 points from them. Gerrard came in and improved on that. We weren't great mostly, but we need more than ONE game this season to see how he's going to do.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal