collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

The World Cup 2022 by pauliewalnuts
[December 07, 2022, 11:59:58 PM]

Stan Lynn and the art of the penalty by dave.woodhall
[December 07, 2022, 11:32:42 PM]

Villa related books by dave.woodhall
[December 07, 2022, 11:31:45 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2022/23 by Legion
[December 07, 2022, 11:10:16 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - signed by Bent Neilsens Screamer
[December 07, 2022, 10:52:38 PM]

January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread by Steve67
[December 07, 2022, 10:09:54 PM]

The International Cricket Thread by tomd2103
[December 07, 2022, 09:59:05 PM]

Tennis recycled - 2022 by cdbearsfan
[December 07, 2022, 09:53:15 PM]

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 82913 | Comments: 3

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 106579 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 107172 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 102328 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 101309 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Steven Gerrard - Our Current Manager  (Read 420965 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Steven Gerrard - Our Manager
« Reply #4890 on: August 11, 2022, 10:19:21 AM »
Bournemouth looks like a pivotal moment.
Unless we beat Everton of course.
The problem is the dislike for Gerrard is that great with some, that the even if we beat Everton, the next defeat after that whenever that may be becomes a pivotal moment and so on.

But yes some may have an agenda.

What does this mean?

I think it's like a list of things you plan to do or talk about that you use in a meeting.

"Okay, just going through the action points from our last meeting. Daniel and Oliver, you were going to look into the topic of scoring goals and get back to us. Any progress with that?"

*Awkward silence

(Meanwhile, behind them, Cameron Archer is literally straining to raise his arm any higher to the ceiling because he knows the fucking answer)

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #4891 on: August 11, 2022, 10:36:19 AM »
Not an agenda, he just hasn't got a lot of goodwill in the bank - which can get managers through sticky situations.

Look at Smith - before the 10-game run in the championship we were having a bad time, then the first season back up until Covid. He was getting lots of stick and criticism, but because of his background it never bubbled over to be an issue becuase of that good-will.

Gerrard, because of his personality (dour, humourless), his non-Villa background and most importantly, the lack of any obvious improvement over his predecessor, is going to get even more scrutiny and lose on Saturday I think it will be vocal.

We've all had enough of false dawns and no-one wants him to fail. The start on paper was two very winnable games and that, as we saw a couple of seasons ago, builds confidence and belief.

He hasn't helped himself though, public comments re the Mings situation (should have said nothing about him getting back into the team), obvious something he doesn't like about Tyrone but leave it behind closed doors.  Then after defeats (wolves, newcastle) all mouth no action.  I am starting to agree with others about him, lacks the experience to manage the Villa at present. 

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4892 on: August 11, 2022, 11:05:55 AM »
It takes time to discover success or failure. I don't really have anything to say that would reflect very well upon me for opinions of wanting somebody sacked after a single game of the season though.

There's a requirement for improvement. Not so much on Saturday as it is just a single game, regardless, but last season. We broadly agree what the failings were, I don't think the squad is complete, but we should see better and we have to see better. If not, the inevitable happens and round we go. Everybody wants Gerrard to do it, right?

What's all this 'one game' stuff? He's been here since November last year.

Ads does mention last season when he taps about requirement for improvement.
I pretty much agree with this.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4893 on: August 11, 2022, 11:25:00 AM »
I don't dislike him at all. I think he speaks well, was a brilliant player at a has bought some decent players. My issue is more that he doesn't adapt, has zero plan b, and appears wedded to a system that isn't working very well. I disliked Bruce because he was a monumental whinge bag. Gerrard just isn't a very good manager at the moment. Fingers crossed he gets better, quickly.

Zero plan B!! Do you think you have been wathcing the same formation and pattern of play week after week under Gerrard?

A very similar variation of the same approach yes. Short of a few weeks trying to get Watkins and Ings in the same side, it has been very much the same, executed to varying levels from average to utter shite, with the odd moment of quality.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 09.05.2023
« Reply #4894 on: August 11, 2022, 11:26:36 AM »
Single game? Did we appoint Gerrard last Friday?

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
« Reply #4895 on: August 11, 2022, 11:35:34 AM »
It takes time to discover success or failure. I don't really have anything to say that would reflect very well upon me for opinions of wanting somebody sacked after a single game of the season though.

There's a requirement for improvement. Not so much on Saturday as it is just a single game, regardless, but last season. We broadly agree what the failings were, I don't think the squad is complete, but we should see better and we have to see better. If not, the inevitable happens and round we go. Everybody wants Gerrard to do it, right?

What's all this 'one game' stuff? He's been here since November last year.

Ads does mention last season when he taps about requirement for improvement.
I pretty much agree with this.

Okay, I've lost the anger regarding the result and I am prepared to see what improvements he makes for Saturday. There simply has to be evidence of organisation and a style of play that suggests the team are buying into his plan whatever that may be.  It should be a better game as Everton will see us vulnerable and will attack more than Bournemouth did. 

That all said, what's the difference between getting an upgrade on a player, Digne/Target for instance and getting an upgrade of manager if one is available and willing to come?  That's not saying I want him gone now just that football is a ruthless business in all aspects particularly where players are concerned.  Why not managers too?  I don't mean the Watford way either... managers gone before they've had a real chance.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 18.05.2023
« Reply #4896 on: August 11, 2022, 11:41:23 AM »
It's a results business, init?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 05.12.2023
« Reply #4897 on: August 11, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
The Bournmouth game was horrendous and after a reasonably posivive (but by no means stellar) pre-season, it's come as a bit of a shock.

I'm now of the view that it's more likely than not that Gerrards time at Villa will fizzle out some time this season.  But then as a Villa fan it's pretty natural sceptisism as we haven't seen anything else for 25 years other than a brief flutter with O'Neil as he butchered our big chance.

BUT, there's still a chance he'll turn it round.  Most good managers have had difficult spells and I think some would be more forgiving if this was a big name from Europe, we'd be saying he needs time to get things right.  I think Gerrard deserves that.  I think our squad is good enough for top 8, so personally I'll be holding him to high standards.  I won't be happy with a 10th place finish, in my opinion anything lower than 8th is dissapointing and lower than 9th should be a sacking.

So I'll stick with him for a bit.  But I expect better.  Much better.
I think this is a fair summary.  At present its not looking good - but I think hell get this season unless we are in a really bad place and an alternative is readily available.

He could turn it round, he has a new assistant, who missed pre-season so hopefully over the next few games somethings will click. 

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4898 on: August 11, 2022, 11:47:35 AM »
It's weird that our form was apparently 8th placed last season from when Gerrard took over but folk are rightly calling him out on our crap season of which he was in charge for two-thirds or so.

Not looked at the numbers/dates, but the three wins in his first few games are presumably omitted from the dreadful form in the last 20 odd matches but it does go to show how perception can change quickly. A couple of wins extra across a season can see you shoot-up four or five places and you go from being crap/mediocre to decent/potentially brilliant.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #4899 on: August 11, 2022, 12:01:15 PM »
I feel he is going to have to stumble on something that clicks rather than already having a grand plan. I just donít have confidence he is going to work out how to turn what is probably the most talented group of players in close to 15 years into a cohesive unit that shows the upturn in results we should expect.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 12:06:40 PM by nick harper »

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 19.03.2022
« Reply #4900 on: August 11, 2022, 12:02:42 PM »
It's a results business, init?

It is and always will be.  I do think though that most on here want to see something that suggests those positive results will be realized at some point. What we seen last week was the team going backwards in all aspects.  Almost as though the players had never met each other before. Did he actually have that team playing together in training against a 5 man defense?   

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4901 on: August 11, 2022, 12:16:02 PM »
We've taken 35 points from the 28 league games he's been in charge. It started with 4 wins in his first 6. The 22 games since, which started Boxing Day, have brought 23 points.

Offline Risso

• GM : 01.03.2023
« Reply #4902 on: August 11, 2022, 12:17:13 PM »
We've had 4 years of McGinn and Mings, 3 of Luiz and two of Watkins. People still think they're going to magically come good, but are prepared to write Gerrard off after less than a full season.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 05.12.2023
« Reply #4903 on: August 11, 2022, 12:22:22 PM »
It's weird that our form was apparently 8th placed last season from when Gerrard took over but folk are rightly calling him out on our crap season of which he was in charge for two-thirds or so.

Not looked at the numbers/dates, but the three wins in his first few games are presumably omitted from the dreadful form in the last 20 odd matches but it does go to show how perception can change quickly. A couple of wins extra across a season can see you shoot-up four or five places and you go from being crap/mediocre to decent/potentially brilliant.
I dont think we were 8th come the end.  But your right a couple of results make a big difference at this level.

In the mid table your normally 2 wins for being in the pack for europe. and tow loses from being pulled into the relagation battle.

For mid table managers thats always the risk and opportunity.  Currently we are in an extended dip - which he needs to turn around before he gets sacked.  But most other managers of midtable teams have the same issue. 

Its just he has made it hard for himselve with losing 1 very winnable game - as if we dont pick up 2 or 3 wins before the International break, it will be a little tense for him and us.  In that period there is only 3 or 4 games you would expected us to win, and we have blown one of them

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #4904 on: August 11, 2022, 12:24:17 PM »
Some people have written off players and managers in a lot less games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal