collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal 3 Villa 1 post match thread  (Read 11770 times)

Offline aj2k77

Re: Arsenal 3 Villa 1 post match thread
« Reply #75 on: October 22, 2021, 11:15:49 PM »
We were all over the shop and headless from the first minute. They picked their way through our midfield 2 with ease. The only surprise was no one got themselves sent off tonight because it was as ill disciplined as it was tactically inept.

Offline frank black

« Reply #76 on: October 22, 2021, 11:16:47 PM »
Arse fans booing Martinez were beyond pathetic.

TBF he’s said quite a lot about Arsenal and none of it complimentary. The booing was totally justified. We would certainly have done the same

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #77 on: October 22, 2021, 11:18:37 PM »
The other notable thing tonight was our ill discipline right from the first minute when Watkins got booked. We racked up 5 cards, and although we've played a game more, we are top of the yellow card list (22 along with Brighton).

Didn't think Watkins deserved a yellow there really, was very little in it

I thought Mings was a bit lucky that Lacazette didn't make more out of that elbow early on too, gave him a nice clip.

Offline dorsetvillian

• GM : PCM
« Reply #78 on: October 22, 2021, 11:20:52 PM »
Woeful first half. God knows what the game plan was. Deano will come under pressure very soon with many more performances like that. How Deano could let 45 mins go by without a tactical adjustment is beyond me when we were being completely outplayed.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #79 on: October 22, 2021, 11:26:03 PM »
I thought Mings was a bit lucky that Lacazette didn't make more out of that elbow early on too, gave him a nice clip.

Not in the slightest, Mings had his arms up before Lacazette got off the ground, the little twat jumped into his arm and then threw himself over like he'd been snipered. Bought the penalty as well, the one thing I agree with Smith on from the post match was that the penalty was soft and the whistle should've gone as soon as it was saved (given it was awarded after the ref had blown for halftime). going in 1-0 down would've massively flattered us but it was a very cheap goal.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #80 on: October 22, 2021, 11:26:56 PM »
The other notable thing tonight was our ill discipline right from the first minute when Watkins got booked. We racked up 5 cards, and although we've played a game more, we are top of the yellow card list (22 along with Brighton).

Didn't think Watkins deserved a yellow there really, was very little in it

I agree on both points.

Mings was returning a favour to Lacazette, as is custom and practice.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #81 on: October 22, 2021, 11:35:24 PM »
Martinez 6.5
Targett 4.5
Tuanzebe 5
Konsa 5
Mings 5.5
Cash 5
Luiz 6
McGinn 5
Targett 4.5
Buendia 5.5
Ings 6
Watkins 5.5

Subs
Bailey 7
Ramsey 7

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #82 on: October 22, 2021, 11:38:29 PM »
If this was the reaction to Saturdays debacle then we’re in deep shit

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #83 on: October 22, 2021, 11:39:29 PM »
Martinez 6.5
Targett 4.5
Tuanzebe 5
Konsa 5
Mings 5.5
Cash 5
Luiz 6
McGinn 5
Targett 4.5
Buendia 5.5
Ings 6
Watkins 5.5

Subs
Bailey 7
Ramsey 7

So desperate to scapegoat Targett you've listed him twice! 😄

It isn't healthy the way you get an obsession with certain players.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2021, 11:52:47 PM »
We were absolutely awful first half and only a bit better second. The first half really was as bad as I've seen it.

Offline john2710

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2021, 12:07:59 AM »
Dean has to accept the blame for this.It reminds me of Lambert’s genius decision to try to play out from the back after a trip to Bayern.

5-3-2 weakens ever area of the pitch. We need 3 in midfield & that excludes Buendia. He should have changed it after 20 mins. If it isn’t working why leave it for another 25 minutes.

Buendia has played in England for 3 seasons but looks like he’s never played here before. He needs bulk up & quicken up. He plays wide right or not at all.

Teams are catching on that if they close us down quickly we’ll lose the ball & are then wide open.

Penalty was another dreadful decision. That is never a clear & obvious error.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2021, 12:09:14 AM »
We were absolutely awful first half and only a bit better second. The first half really was as bad as I've seen it.

I don't see how those 2 statements fit.

I agree with you on the first half, it's the worst half we've put together under Smith by a long way. The 2nd half was a middle of the road performance, not enough to turn around a 2 goal deficit away from home but good enough to think that if we'd played like that all game we'd have been in with a chance of getting something. Given how bad the first half was I can't beleive any honestly thinks the 2nd half was significantly better, even it be pretty average.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2021, 12:11:45 AM »
I thought Watkins looked a different player when Ings went off towards the end, he was starting to pull defenders out of position. I hate the thought of changing managers again but Deans game management is woeful, it was clear after the first fifteen that a different formation was required but he always waits until the forseeable disaster happens before any action. I want a pro-active manager that can see what we all see and acts accordingly.

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2021, 12:25:40 AM »
The first half an hour was a real shock to the system. I can't easily recall us being so thoroughly outclassed, out-worked and out-thought so completely in recent times. None of the staff - players or management - come out with any credit and it saddens me to feel that way. Our 3-5-2 is flimsy and disjointed. We have utterly wasted the start of this season by trying to force it in.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2021, 12:26:46 AM »
Let's not be silly about Smith's position. Life as a manager is obviously impossible, and anyone who looks halfway like they know what they're doing at the top of the game - from Deano to Rafa to Tuchel - is obviously not a moron.

That said, this formation is done now. Good in certain situations, but three defeats in a row against direct rivals doesn't lie.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal