collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread  (Read 21811 times)

Offline robbo1874

Re: Villa vs Wolves - Post debacle thread
« Reply #285 on: October 18, 2021, 04:33:50 AM »
Villa shat it at 2-1. That goal had been coming for a little while and I remember thinking we’re going to fucking lose this. The Spurs defeat you could swallow because they were just about the better side on the day and stopped us playing. This one made me angry because Wilves didn’t look that great and we were 2-0 up. To throw it away like that suggests we may have a few problems. First time I can remember Smith effectively blaming the players. Can’t remember his exact words but it was something like ‘there was nothing wrong with the tactics’ which interpreted as ‘don’t blame me, blame the players’. He’s got such a lot of credit in the bank that I couldn’t envisage even some of our more rabid fans turning on him. But if we don’t get anything from Arsenal or West Ham, it surely won’t be too long before the grumbles start to get louder.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2021, 10:14:10 AM »
I don't think we were the better team at all. The warning signs were there in the first half when Traore barged through the whole defence and should have scored. We looked disorganised from the get go.
No, don't agree Pete. Yes, Traore had one or two runs that were dangerous, but Wolves had nothing else going on in the first half and we had several very smart moves that ended up with goal attempts (the best of which was from Ings and McGinn); we should have been up at halftime.
Why didn't anyone just rip Traore down when he walked through unchallenged. Was poor to see no commitment

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2021, 12:04:26 PM »
Forgot the young lad in our Office is a Wolves fan and whilst obviously delighted to be fair to him the first words out his mouth this morning were daylight robbery. Quick chat about the game and he thought they were very lucky to get a result. I think his celebrations lasted most of the weekend though as he looks like shit.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2021, 12:15:26 PM »
Ings had a free header at 2-2 as well.

He did. Should at the very least have hit the target.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #289 on: October 18, 2021, 12:43:02 PM »
Interesting that wanky W'ers left 3 out of their own penalty area when defending a corner. I've always felt this is an obvious thing to do - to de-clutter the box and give the keeper a little more space - and am surprised more don't do it (particularly if you have pacy players).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #290 on: October 18, 2021, 12:59:28 PM »
Interesting that wanky W'ers left 3 out of their own penalty area when defending a corner. I've always felt this is an obvious thing to do - to de-clutter the box and give the keeper a little more space - and am surprised more don't do it (particularly if you have pacy players).

Second half we brought absolutely everybody back for their corners and free kicks. It meant that the area was too crowded and we didn't have a single player upfield to receive an out ball to release pressure, leading to the dreadful collapse we all witnessed.

Offline Nunkin1965

• This is only a problem.
« Reply #291 on: October 18, 2021, 01:33:06 PM »
Haven't we done this before against Wolves?
I'm sure I watched a pre season friendly from the Holte End in the early 90's (?) when we gave up a 2-0 lead and lost 2-3.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2021, 01:38:02 PM »
For me when teams do this you have to take a short corner - preferably a quick one as well - to make them bring another out of the box and then there’s plenty of space to try and exploit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal