collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The Big Match Revisited  (Read 16640 times)

Online Flamingo Lane

The Big Match Revisited
« on: September 20, 2021, 05:37:05 PM »
I wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this, but I've put it here, as in half an hour or so's time the programme will feature Villa v Wolves from 1979, with Andy Gray playing for Wolves just after signing for them from us.  The 1-1 draw was a good one for us right then, as Ron Saunders was starting to put together the team that would go on to win the league and the European Cup the following two seasons, and this spirited performance at Wolves gave a good glimpse of the team's quality as it was taking shape.

Otherwise, I hope this thread can be used more generally for users to comment on what they've seen on the Big Match Revisited (currently to be viewed on ITV4 each weekday evening, usually just before 6pm).

Offline Damo70

Re: The Big Match Revisited
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 06:06:26 PM »
I love The Big Match Revisited and I have got my old man into it too now. It is real old school with the majority of games played on mud without a blade of grass in sight and some challenges that belong in a mixed martial arts contest going totally unpunished.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 06:09:40 PM »
I watch it every night, it’s ace. I love the grounds and advertising boards! Watching Spurs forest now, what was, is, tempo? I’m sure I should know.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 06:15:09 PM »
I watch it every night, it’s ace. I love the grounds and advertising boards! Watching Spurs forest now, what was, is, tempo? I’m sure I should know.

I too share your slightly strange fascination with the various advertising hoardings from the old days when people rented their tellies from Rumbelows.

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 06:16:09 PM »
Wolves Villa tonight too, any ideas about Tempo?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 06:30:31 PM »

A German car company apparently. But I was more interested in the challenge from Kenny Burns on Ricky Villa
that deserved three months in Winson Green  ;D

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 06:33:30 PM »
Love TBMR, everything about it. The awkward interviews, giving out people’s full addresses who wrote in.

We even lost to Leyton Orient the other day for crying out loud!

Offline four fornicholl

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 06:50:58 PM »
Andy gray was a right twat tonight, he was my sign please hero as a youngster!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 06:51:21 PM »
Love TBMR, everything about it. The awkward interviews, giving out people’s full addresses who wrote in.

We even lost to Leyton Orient the other day for crying out loud!

The people's full addresses always amuses me. Also Brian Moore's rather condescending manner.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 07:02:28 PM »
TBMR is brilliant

Bad Pitches
Bad Fouls
Bad Haircuts
Short Shorts
Crowd swells
Old fashioned stands
Parka’s
Yippi Aye Eh sang a lot slower
No shirt sponsors
Primitively small dug outs
Managers Big leather coats
massive lapels
Passing ball back to goalie
Brian Moore

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 07:03:00 PM »
You can get all these on the ITV hub as well as i keep missing them when their actually on. There was a brilliant one i watched from a few weeks ago, it was the opening day of the season in maybe our title year 81 or year after. It featured Kevin Keegan making his debut for Southampton against Man City, with a really bizarre pre match feature of him heading a ball in what looked like a school gym.
Even better after they showed liverpool beating Palace 3-0 (same old!) they actually had a young Kenny Sansom and Clive Allen in the studio afterwards, doing a really awkward interview about how it all went wrong for their palace. Brilliant stuff.

Offline big 1st serve

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 07:17:33 PM »
 Totally addicted, The good old days , when every goal scored by the away team was greeted with a chorus of;" You're gonna get your f***ing heads kicked in", from the home fans.

Offline AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:52:05 PM »
Thought it was a writing pen

Online Flamingo Lane

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2021, 08:01:36 PM »
One of the really enjoyable aspects of the programme is being able to watch players who we came to admire as Villa players, when they were playing for other teams, usually earlier in their careers. Given how many times he's been shown recently playing in goal for Arsenal, I was thinking the programme could easily have been titled Jimmy Rimmer Revisited, and I've recently also enjoyed seeing a very young Tony Morley playing in a No 8 shirt for Preston alongside a very less than young Nobby Stiles and Bobby Charlton (wearing No 11), and also Alex Cropley playing for Arsenal, and Alan Little for Southend.

Offline KRS

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2021, 08:03:44 PM »
I’ve got Season 6 recording (Saturday mornings) but haven’t watched any yet. Are any of the first 4 episodes worth watching yet? (ie do they feature any Villa games)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal