collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread  (Read 20889 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Aston Villa 3-0 Everton post match thread
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2021, 07:33:34 PM »
Bailey was superb. Just gave us a thrust. Interesting as a wingback so I do wonder if he can still be an option if we are playing 5-3-2. The system is reliant on your wingbacks bombing forward. Cash did that superbly today to be fair. My MOTM.

The first half was okay as far as generally keeping it okay but with a need to find a bit more pace in attack. Ramsey was quiet first half, brilliant second, whilst Douglas playing further forward actually did provide a cuteness we'd lacked (he is erratic granted, but did pick out some nice passes). In terms of sweeping at the back of midfield and offering a base, I think Nakamba does it better than anyone here. He made a difference in a far better second half.

The front two worked very hard but I'm not convinced playing both is going to work. That said, great ball from Ings for Bailey's goal.

Let's see if we can put first half Chelsea, second half Everton together into the next few games and cause an upset.

What's very promising though, is we have options now. We are going to need to get some unexpected results though and generally do better in the games we're expected to win too. My worry is, Everton and Newcastle are teams we like playing at the moment. It's games like Watford and Brentford we're going to need to improve on, even just to maintain what we did last season.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2021, 07:37:53 PM »
Reminded me of a home game under MON for a lot of it. Dangerous from set pieces but all a bit predictable. Playing three centre backs and at one stage seven defensive players was all a bit Southgate esque against an under strength Everton.... Game changed in the matter of a couple of minutes. Gray missed a great chance at one end and we went down the other end and scored through Cash. Getting Bailey on was crucial, though I'm not sure Mings actually moved to left back? Targett was having a bit of a nightmare. Fortunate second but we over powered from them then. Ramsey missing a bit of a sitter in truth. Great third goal from Bailey.

We lost 3-0 last week playing reasonably well and I don't think we played all that well tonight for most of the game. But three points it is.

Martinez 6, Cash 7, Konsa 6, Tuanzebe 5, Mings 8, Targett 5 (Bailey 8), Luiz 7, McGinn 6 (Nakamba 7), Ramsey 6,  Watkins 5, Ings 7.

Offline Grocer

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
Great win with most of our creative players starting on the bench (which I didn't necessarily disagree with). Credit to Nakamba, thought he was excellent when he came on. Up the Villa.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2021, 07:40:01 PM »
Glorious.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2021, 07:41:04 PM »
I don't think anyone had a bad game.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 07:41:25 PM »

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2021, 07:42:13 PM »
Reminded me of a home game under MON for a lot of it. Dangerous from set pieces but all a bit predictable. Playing three centre backs and at one stage seven defensive players was all a bit Southgate esque against an under strength Everton.... Game changed in the matter of a couple of minutes. Gray missed a great chance at one end and we went down the other end and scored through Cash. Getting Bailey on was crucial, though I'm not sure Mings actually moved to left back? Targett was having a bit of a nightmare. Fortunate second but we over powered from them then. Ramsey missing a bit of a sitter in truth. Great third goal from Bailey.

We lost 3-0 last week playing reasonably well and I don't think we played all that well tonight for most of the game. But three points it is.

Martinez 6, Cash 7, Konsa 6, Tuanzebe 5, Mings 8, Targett 5 (Bailey 8), Luiz 7, McGinn 6 (Nakamba 7), Ramsey 6,  Watkins 5, Ings 7.

I like your Bailey rating.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2021, 07:43:56 PM »
Very good win that pushes us into the top 10. I'd stick with two up front for now. It clearly isn't quite there yet, but what it is doing is giving other players acres of space to get in the box and score.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2021, 07:44:28 PM »
Very harsh on Watkins. 5?

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2021, 07:49:00 PM »
Credit to Nakamba, thought he was excellent when he came on.

Agreed. Once again he was getting on the ball and moving it on quickly. I now think he knows what is expected of him and he's capable of delivering.

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2021, 07:50:40 PM »
I enjoyed that!  :) :) :)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2021, 07:54:00 PM »
Very harsh on Watkins. 5?

Thought he was poor to be honest, first touch still ropey at times...Ings far sharper of the two of them. Very little interplay between them as of yet

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2021, 07:55:37 PM »
I think daughter and me scared the neighbours with our screaming for the goals.

Stalemate to 60 minutes then The Bailey Effect kicked in.

Targett needs to improve his distribution and Watkins needs to look for a pass occasionally instead of shooting every time.

Pleased for Leon and Cash. Special mention for Axel who did much better this time and actually won a significant number of aerial duels.

edit : forgot to mention, well done the set-piece coach, I'm really enjoying the routines. The one in the 1st half deserved a goal.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2021, 07:56:01 PM »
For the own goal, if it had gone over the defender's head it would have been right on Dougie's dumpling and no matter what he'd done he couldn't/wouldn't have missed.  That corner was that good.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2021, 07:56:47 PM »
Aston Villa. Still the best two words in the English landscape.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal