collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What do you want from life?  (Read 5761 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
What do you want from life?
« on: September 09, 2021, 11:35:18 AM »

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: What do you want from life?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 12:13:04 PM »
A couple of quotes at the end there which really hit close to home. We can only hope that this time it will go right at some point.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 12:16:51 PM »
Beating one of the Manchester clubs in FA cup final would do me and I suspect pretty much everyone else on here pretty nicely I think for rest of our times.

Hope it happens one day but as older generations know the decades pass on very quickly in football sometimes. No one would've probably believed in March 1996 we'd then go over a quarter of a century without winning anything and we're not the only "big" club to have that sort of trophy drought.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 12:46:05 PM »
Southgate’s quote seemed fair enough in many ways under Doug, but will always be mystified as to why he then joined Middlesbrough.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2021, 01:17:55 PM »
I think Southgate may have had his fill of John Gregory (who, to be unkind, could be seen as bit of a Tactics-Tim Sherwood prototype) and while Boro would never have been a top choice of his after Chelsea made eyes the previous summer, he made the most of the situation and left.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2021, 01:25:23 PM »
Its that nagging doubt, when we seem to be on the cusp we somehow manage to fall back. This time with the Idiot and these owners I really thought this was going to be it. It still might be but the last few weeks from the pre season transfer optics on the banks of the Thames, the high profile changes to coaching staff, Watford and now the South American debacle we don't seem to have a big club aura about us. I have no idea why we have taken a loan.
But for me success would be competing for the top 6 places every season and winning a Cup every now and then.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2021, 01:38:14 PM »
It's a money game, when Man City were taken over by world oil they started exactly as we have for the early part, what changed for them was that they offered top players wages that were unheard of. Times have changed but greed will always win out, you want a top player to join Villa then double what any other club would pay him, simple.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2021, 01:41:46 PM »
Southgate’s quote seemed fair enough in many ways under Doug, but will always be mystified as to why he then joined Middlesbrough.

Chelsea wanted him all through summer 2000 but we simply refused to sell even though they bid about 6m in the end which was decent amount in those times.

Said it before but aftermatch of cup final in 2000 was when we went from established top 6 club to just also ran in the league. Chelsea even pre Abrahmovich went ahead of us after winning and so did likes of Leeds and Newcastle for couple of seasons. We also had the odd season finishing above Liverpool in those times.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2021, 03:20:33 PM »
But in answer to the thread title question; not much really. A loving wife, couple of kids and a job without too much stress but one which remunerates generously.

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2021, 04:40:40 PM »
My health back.

More seriously...It is a very thought provoking article. I think the first step would be to regain our respect.

Online Skerra

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2021, 05:13:41 PM »
With what was said, prior to the transfer window opening, I honestly thought that the time had come to make a couple of “name” signings. Instead, we ended up with the usual type of signings we make, bar Ings that is. I also think the majority of us were led to believe we had another couple of worthy signings to make, especially with Shinsplints being sold but, as usual, it all petered out.
Pre season was a total shambles and I’ve yet to see a league match were it has left me feeling that we are going to make any more progress this season. All pre season seemed to achieve was a few crucial injuries to our squad. Being Villa, these players will of course now have to “get up to speed”, “injuries to be managed”, etc.etc.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2021, 05:17:38 PM »
The Ings signing feels like the Bent signing.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »
With what was said, prior to the transfer window opening, I honestly thought that the time had come to make a couple of “name” signings. Instead, we ended up with the usual type of signings we make, bar Ings that is. I also think the majority of us were led to believe we had another couple of worthy signings to make, especially with Shinsplints being sold but, as usual, it all petered out.
Pre season was a total shambles and I’ve yet to see a league match were it has left me feeling that we are going to make any more progress this season. All pre season seemed to achieve was a few crucial injuries to our squad. Being Villa, these players will of course now have to “get up to speed”, “injuries to be managed”, etc.etc.

We can't have legislated for what's happened pre-season and so far, except possibly having a contingency plan for Ratboy, and even then we didn't know what was he as saying to management, but it certainly does feel as though for the past two summers we've been waiting for the big push. I certainly got the impression from an FCG when we first got back up that it was going to be a case of survive the first season then really push the boat out in summer 2020. Then this was going to be the summer when our financial muscle would make itself apparent. Instead we've made some good, solid signings, some overseas gambles where the hits outweigh the misses, but that one big eyebrow-raiser just hasn't happened.     

Offline andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2021, 08:40:49 PM »
It started off badly in the first half at Watford, the week after losing Joe. I know it was first game for a newly promoted side but we looked terrible and the score line only looked presentable after Watford eased off. Everyone with even aspirations of a top half finish will beat Newcastle at home. And we drew with a newly promoted team at VP. We seem to have in a few weeks lost all our momentum from the previous season. We dont seem to be acting like we have the third richest owners and in fact have the lowest net spend in the league.

The National manager has rubbed our noses in it by his refusal to pick Joe when he played for us and has since picked him  as many times as he has actually played for City in one week. Our Captain was unable to play against Brentford but played for England instead. We sent two of our better players to Brazil to play for 5 minutes and now they can’t play for us. We purchased a French player at a bargain price in January but he’s been injured ever since, we broke our transfer record for a player who is also injured but travels to play for his country.

We are now staring down the barrel of possibly 5 defeats on the bounce but I think that’s unlikely but we won’t win many of them either!

It’s a bit tough being us at the moment!

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2021, 08:51:58 PM »
This is exactly how I have been feeling, almost to the letter.  I will reserve judgement for now, but along with being grateful we aren't in administration, I am far from convinced we are seriously trying to break into the 'elite'. 

I think a lot of this is as a result of captain fantastic leaving - it all has the whiff of when we started to lose the core of the last nearly-made-it team we've had at the Villa - I can still hear fans singing "one-Randy Lerner" when Milner & MON left, but that was the start of a steady decline as we all now know.   

People keep using Leicester as an example of 'how to do it', and I get why, but they are an anomaly.   If we really (really!) do want to break into the CL consistently we will need that statement.  Juries out.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 08:59:54 PM by Rigadon »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal