collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:25:59 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 12:25:33 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:25:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by David_Nab
[Today at 12:25:33 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:19:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:17:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:14:54 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict  (Read 19857 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: Summer Transfer Window - The Verdict
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 05:16:49 AM »
As it stands strikers improved midfield difficult to judge a little on the negative ,defence same keepers negative, it seems like our coaching will need to improve. We know our owners are minted, however they will be looking for a return, I might be wrong but perhaps they are cutting back on investment.

That's the thing unfortunately, In order to compete at the very top you have to kiss goodbye to the idea on returns on investment. Its just degrees of losing. Not until you're really established at the top as a brand anyway. You either invest big and make it or you don't at very best you hope to be a spurs or a Leicester, in which case you still need to spend more to catch them. The frustration is that it always appears we get ourselves in to a great position where one more could kick us on and the door opens if we get in to Europe. But these owners have history of always leaving us one short and as I said in the transfer thread yesterday, that needs to change at some point. It might as well have been this window when the gap between us and the rest is so small because I really dont think arsenal we be as poor again or that Everton will invest so little.

Is it not a case of reaching where Leicester are first and then going up to the next level?

Indeed but to reach Leicester we need to invest more. We aren't going to catch them while they continue to strengthen and we stay still (at best). We need to catch arsenal, Leeds & Everton first and I don't believe this continually leaving us one short (it's been the striker the last 2 years) will enable us to do that. We need to stop putting plasters on areas to get in and around europa, once we've done that we will then need to go again.

But that’s the thing; Leicester are successful because they’re smart with their investments. They got loads for selling Kante, Maguire, Mahrez, etc but held off if their options to replace them weren’t great and been patient with doing so. They’ve got a league and FA Cup on the mantle piece which is something we could only dream of right now.

We’ve got a higher ceiling IMO but right now, we couldn’t even get ESR and JWP through the door, neither of whom any of the elite sides were in for.

We spent loads under O’Neill and it didn’t work and we had little resale value on the majority of the signings.  That was over 10 years ago and it’s harder now with the ever widening gap. NSWE are rich but their not a sovereign wealth fund. Perhaps the right deals aren’t there right now. They know we need more. We can all see it as supporters.

If we go too far we’ll end up like Everton who seemingly have no financial muscle at the moment until they shift their deadwood (hence their low budget summer) or Arsenal who are regressing despite their spending.

I agree to an extent but the only thing I would say is that Leicester had their team complete. We have a great big kante shaped hole in front of out back four that needs filling. I don't mind if that player costs £2 million or £50 million  (prefer the former obviously) but that needs addressing. Leicester addressed their issues when they brought those players in.

We definitely need a Kante. That’s clear. But if our Kante isn’t available in this transfer window i’d personally prefer to wait rather than getting in someone who ultimately isn’t what we want but a plan B, C, D, etc that we’re saddled with. Sometimes there are no alternatives to a plan A type of player.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 05:21:19 AM »
I believe our owners have pressed the pause button. The plan was built around Grealish staying (that's how Bucks succeeded and I expect we were following the same blueprint). Now that he isn't, plans are being re-assesed and re-drawn and that'll take some time.

I suppose we'll know next summer what it means in regards to our future ambitions but for now I just don't think they want to continue to invest heavily until they know what they want to do going forward.
I think you are right also they have the Las Vegas Villains distraction going on.
Have we actually received a fee for any player moved on? Other than the idiot

Offline LeonW

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 05:25:32 AM »
I believe our owners have pressed the pause button. The plan was built around Grealish staying (that's how Bucks succeeded and I expect we were following the same blueprint). Now that he isn't, plans are being re-assesed and re-drawn and that'll take some time.

I suppose we'll know next summer what it means in regards to our future ambitions but for now I just don't think they want to continue to invest heavily until they know what they want to do going forward.
I think you are right also they have the Las Vegas Villains distraction going on.
Have we actually received a fee for any player moved on? Other than the idiot

Samatta?

Online Demitri_C

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 06:36:43 AM »
Havent had a chance to play them all at once yet! Ill let you know once that happens.

But i think we need a dm enforcer desperately

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 08:15:42 AM »
It's been good overall. The investment on the academy has impressed me.

Offline Ketzster

• GM : 06.12.2020
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 08:24:16 AM »
I’m disappointed. We really needed to invest the Grealish money. I know we have signed Buendia, Ings, Bailey, but we really needed more. Personally, the moment Grealish left, the most important signing I think we could have made was a new manager because of Smith’s record over the last 3 seasons without Grealish. Maybe, the owners are well aware of that and aren’t willing to allow Smith to spend more until he proves he can once and for all find a way? I seriously have my doubts as to whether he will as I’ve never seen anything to suggest he can

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 08:31:09 AM »
I agree with OP. We were led to believe signings were in addition to Grealish. Then told they are to replace him. I don't know how the owners can look at our squad and think we can compete for Europe. Sadly what this window has shown is that we can't retain players at Grealish level and we certainly can't sign them. I hope the owners aren't as dispirited as I am.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 08:31:14 AM »
It raises more questions than answers. The first 11 is on paper weaker. The squad maybe stronger but that is debatable at this moment in time and won't be answered until May.

Ings and Buendia are good signings. Ings gives us cover for Ollie and is a brilliant finisher. The squad is unequivocally better with him in it.

Bailey we have no idea really until he's fit and plays but he looks promising. We now have 3 predominantly right wingers all of whom are potentially very good. If the plan is to play one left and one at ten, then buy a 10 and a left winger.

We have lost the 10 that we signed last summer to move us forward, and not replaced him. He wasn't the answer we all agree, but we have not replaced him with a better number 10. Buendia may be able to do it but that will take time and he will have to adapt to playing there.

We only have El Ghazi that is an actual left winger by position. I get that Bailey will likely play there, but he has specifically stated he prefers playing on the right. So our left side has lost one of the best in the world and the jury is out on the choice of replacing him.

We have done nothing in midfield. Where games are won and lost. McGinn and Luiz are good but no one can say they have been consistently so in the prem. Nakamba is very hot and cold. Ramsey is very raw. Chuck even more so. Our options in there are in my opinion nowhere near what we need for top 10, let alone top 7. It is where we will come unstuck the most this season.

Defence is the same but without the influence of Terry. It will be interesting how that plays out. Cash and Targett need to find their levels quickly.

I am going for 14th this season, and 2-3 itchy feet players comeay next year.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 08:32:17 AM »
4/10. They've replaced Greasy, but those players are going to take time to get fit and gel etc. Other than that, they haven't fixed the gaping hole in midfield and we''re going to struggle this season.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 08:34:37 AM »
Disappointing tbh, we have enriched the squad, as long as everyone is fit, which they are not. The first team is infinitely poorer - you can't lose a near world class player and not suffer.

richtheholtender

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2021, 08:38:57 AM »
4/10 purely on the basis that I think young is an upgrade on last year's back up full backs. I think it can be summed up by the gap to six getting bigger and the gap between us and the likes of Palace possible being smaller. Disappointing but at least we know what we're facing now. We're back among the Evertons of this world, unlikely to ever go higher on a consistent basis and will most likely be selling the crown Jew's each summer. Its still better than what we've had the last few years.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2021, 08:42:54 AM »
4/10 purely on the basis that I think young is an upgrade on last year's back up full backs. I think it can be summed up by the gap to six getting bigger and the gap between us and the likes of Palace possible being smaller. Disappointing but at least we know what we're facing now. We're back among the Evertons of this world, unlikely to ever go higher on a consistent basis and will most likely be selling the crown Jew's each summer. Its still better than what we've had the last few years.

Utterly depressing, but sadly accurate.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2021, 08:46:08 AM »
                                    First XI              Reserves
Goalkeepers                   Same                     Weaker
Defenders                      Same                     Weaker
Midfielders                     Same                     Stronger*
Attackers                       Stronger                 Weaker **
                                     6/10                      4/10

* Based on like-for-like, not ratboy being the greatest player evoh etc,.
**Based on Ings and Watkins both starting

« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 08:51:47 AM by sickbeggar »

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
The signings we’ve made are fine. We just haven’t done enough, which is really disappointing.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2021, 09:13:32 AM »
I think Ratboy really fucked us harder than we knew at the time. The whole vibe changed, I think they expected him to stay and were buying better players to play with him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal