collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Pre-match pubs  (Read 2277 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Pre-match pubs
« on: August 27, 2021, 12:14:18 PM »
On the train tomorrow pre-match, just wondering what are the pub like the Aston Station side of the ground (usually in the Heart pre-match over the other side of the ground).

Is the Aston Tavern open under the flyover? Looking at the website it's showing detail about games in 2019...

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
Re: Pre-match pubs
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2021, 12:25:31 PM »
I don't drink in the pubs pre-match but I walked past the Aston Tavern last week and it was open.  People were queuing post match, I expect it was the same pre-match but I barely made kick off so didn't see for myself.

Offline rjp

• aka Rob
  • GM : 07.05.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2021, 12:26:35 PM »
Also, the Holte Suite is closed for vaccinations so is probably increasing the numbers in the pubs near to the ground.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2021, 12:31:09 PM »
Villa Tavern on Nechells Park Road is 10 minute walk from Aston Station

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2021, 12:34:51 PM »
Villa Social is also an easy walk from Aston Station, go down the gully and exit left and it's a two minute walk on the other side of the road.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 12:35:27 PM »
I defy all the rules and drink in town. I won’t pay to get into a pub - that gives you an idea how old I am!

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 12:36:41 PM »
Just easy for us - hop on at Longbridge and through to the ground.

Post-match in town.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2021, 01:40:42 PM »
I defy all the rules and drink in town. I won’t pay to get into a pub - that gives you an idea how old I am!

Same.
Taxi's to the ground are easy enough but afterwards it's a bit of a bun fight to get a drink anywhere close so we're heading straight back into Town. Somehow.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »

Same.
Taxi's to the ground are easy enough but afterwards it's a bit of a bun fight to get a drink anywhere close so we're heading straight back into Town. Somehow.
Normally.Last week it was an almighty scramble round colmore row for taxis.Ubers not turning up,black cabs being commandeered before they turned the corner.It was carnage.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2021, 04:22:51 PM »
I just had a couple in the ground ore match last week, but went to the heart afterwards, it was rammed, at least till about 7pm, when it started to quiet down a tad.
Think the Swan is still open for season ticket holders facing Aston station.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »
I just had a couple in the ground ore match last week, but went to the heart afterwards, it was rammed, at least till about 7pm, when it started to quiet down a tad.

Pretty sure the Swan and Mitre was closed last week, it had gone to the dogs in any case after Anne sold up.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2021, 05:08:28 PM »
Going further down the hill.  The Social is not the same - Jenny showed against Chelsea that even a  smaller space it could be managed.  The new women in charge hasnt a scooby.  Too many people are looking towards Scared Hearts another one which will be rammed silly.  As for the Tavern was £3 i believe last season and the bar is expensive. 

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2021, 05:21:05 PM »
In addition to pubs, could anyone recommend parking over the “Holte End” side of the ground?

We’ve parked in Brookvale School and also the Cash and Carry for donkeys years, but the Perry Barr roundabout just gets worse and it took an hour just to get to West Brom last week!

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2021, 06:28:47 PM »
In addition to pubs, could anyone recommend parking over the “Holte End” side of the ground?

We’ve parked in Brookvale School and also the Cash and Carry for donkeys years, but the Perry Barr roundabout just gets worse and it took an hour just to get to West Brom last week!

I got the train last week, but drive to the ground a fair bit. If I park on the side streets off trinity road etc, it’s because I might go in the heart for an hour or so afterwards, as otherwise it just takes for ever to do the first 1/2 mile away from the ground.
I sit in the Holte and if I’m driving and going straight home, I park under the M6 at the end of Moor Lane. It’s about a 15 minute walk to and from the ground, but once you get back to your car, your away in minutes.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2021, 06:30:39 PM »

I just had a quick glance to be fair when I got off the train, so you’re probably right and yes it had gone to the dogs.

Pretty sure the Swan and Mitre was closed last week, it had gone to the dogs in any case after Anne sold up.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal