collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Back in the old routine  (Read 2001 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Back in the old routine
« on: August 22, 2021, 09:33:45 PM »

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
Re: Back in the old routine
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 06:51:42 AM »
From a great distance ,great article had me whishing, I was there in the rain. One day

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 07:27:25 AM »
I think Percy in The Telegraph specifically referred to VP as an historic, soul stirring place in his match report. But physically, nothing could be further from the truth -  none of it is much more than 40 years old. Yet the author is right, it still embues that feeling of age , history, and imperiousness. Not unique, but very special.

Online FatSam

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2021, 09:49:15 AM »
Great article. I really enjoyed that.

I think Percy in The Telegraph specifically referred to VP as an historic, soul stirring place in his match report. But physically, nothing could be further from the truth -  none of it is much more than 40 years old. Yet the author is right, it still embues that feeling of age , history, and imperiousness. Not unique, but very special.

This is an interesting point. There is a collective memory of earlier iterations of the ground, and the fact that each stand is individual and has its own (to a lesser or greater extent) identity, means that it endures. A different location, or even a wraparound stadium in the same location, would lose this. The way that people are able to identify where they sit in the ground, and that these all represent different experiences, reinforces this also. As the author comments, the relationship between the stands and the areas outside the ground also contributes.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:50 AM »
Regarding the catering staff, I was also able to see them rushing up and down the stairs and was impressed by their ability to do so while carrying stuff, maintaining a conversation and never once taking their eyes off their phone screens. Can somebody please ask them to hold onto the handrail so they don't injure themselves and does noticing this sort of thing mean I've officially become an old git?

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2021, 11:35:04 AM »
yes. Did you also find time to draft a risk assessment?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2021, 12:02:04 PM »
I would have done but was busy putting out the fire that I had accidentally started.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2021, 12:14:41 PM »
According to John Percy in the DT, in an article about Austin MacPhee, we have sorted out a new coach but he's working his notice at his current club.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2021/08/22/aston-villas-new-set-piece-coach-had-hand-danny-ings-spectacular/

'Villa are also close to appointing another first-team coach, who will effectively be the No. 3 behind Shakespeare.

It is understood the appointment has been made, and though the new man’s identity remains a secret at this stage he is working his notice at his current club.'

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2021, 12:24:44 PM »
I had a couple of pints in the Windsor when I got to Brum on Saturday good article.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2021, 12:25:19 PM »
I had a couple of pints in the Windsor when I got to Brum on Saturday good article.
does it still stink of piss in there?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal