collapse collapse
Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

EFL Cup (2nd Round: Bolton [A]) by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:09:50 PM]

Steven Gerrard - Our Manager by john e
[Today at 06:09:09 PM]

New Betting Partners by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:05:02 PM]

Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:03:05 PM]

Other Games - 2022/2023 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 06:01:48 PM]

Danny Ings - signed by Mister E
[Today at 05:41:59 PM]

Message for Austin McFail by wince
[Today at 05:27:40 PM]

Bears/Pears/Domestic Cricket Thread by Nev
[Today at 05:18:27 PM]

July 23, 2022, 07:04:34 PM by algy | Views: 12488 | Comments: 2

Notice this ... should it be t...
August 10, 2021, 03:37:52 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 36548 | Comments: 6

It will soon be three years si...
August 09, 2021, 02:47:33 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 38939 | Comments: 40

The Jack Grealish transfer mad...
August 08, 2021, 11:32:36 PM by dave.woodhall | Views: 34693 | Comments: 9

So he chose success after all....
August 07, 2021, 01:22:40 AM by dave.woodhall | Views: 33949 | Comments: 3

I well remember the day in Feb...

Follow us on...

Author Topic: What's the point?  (Read 38939 times)

Online brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
Re: What's the point?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 08:14:17 PM »
It's an easy spot really.  Jack Grealish is simply thick.  He does not have the intelligence to evaluate the consequences of his actions. Sincere feelings require intelligence.  He does not have any.  Rolling in the gutter, taking drugs (allegedly), crashing a car. Even today trotting out his pathetically immature copy cat of Lionel Messi's tears.  He is a thick plonker and we are well rid of him.

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 08:27:48 PM »
Great post Alex. Spot on and mirrors my views

Offline Rudy65

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2021, 08:29:22 PM »
The other thing I would add is not only the fact that Grealish is a local boy but also that he is such an entertainer, a maverick somewhat in the Le Tissier mould Iíd say, and joins such an awful club. Itís as if heís been bought not to improve their side (how could you, really?) but add a bit of pizzazz to their admittedly brilliant, but dull-as-ditchwater robotic, FIFA 2021 football, just for marketing purposes. Even if we are a better side, we will be more prosaic, and that hurts before you even go into the local boy stuff. Ah well, bollocks to it.

I think youíre correct about the pizzazz point. Unfortunately

Offline pooligan

• Villa till i die
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2021, 08:35:48 PM »
Well said Brian i agree with you

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2021, 09:32:33 PM »
 (wtf was that leather chair all about the other day:  Herbert, as in Ellis!).
[/quote]

ďAnd at the end of that round, Mr Grealish, you have scored zero points.Ē

Offline Clive W

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2021, 09:35:08 PM »
Great read Alex

I can go back further (a long, long way unfortunately)

Gerry Hitchens and Tony Hateley - distraught when they left

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2021, 09:50:15 PM »
A great piece of writing.  It's just all so disappointing...the boy's a fool.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2023
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2021, 09:55:56 PM »
Whatís the point of anything, ultimately?
B66HE

Offline danno

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2021, 10:00:35 PM »
A great piece of writing.  It's just all so disappointing...the boy's a fool.

All those years chanting "Simple Jack" now make much more sense.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2021, 10:01:09 PM »
Excellent article.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2021, 10:25:03 PM »
Great piece.

Thatís the crux of all this isnít it - he portrayed himself as a Villa fan. Iím certain he was and there are plenty of things to support this that canít be faked. The risk is though, if you cultivate that, which he certainly did, you have to expect a backlash when you leave.

Compare and contrast to Dean Smith. He's constantly asked whether it means more to him because he's a fan. He always politely acknowledges and skips past that bit and says something similar to, "I did follow the Villa. I'm here though, not because I'm a Villa fan, but because of what I learned and achieved in the 30 years when I was at other clubs". That's how you do it.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2021, 11:22:07 PM »
A very good read.

Generally, I don't have a problem with Man City fans of a similar vintage to me and I've got a couple of good friends who follow them. They carried a similar burden to us - a big city club generally punching below its weight and with a spell in the third tier to underline it - but with the added grief of their city rivals dominating.  According, I didn't begrudge them their first few trophies and the Aguero moment.  However, I get the impression that they're now bored with it. One of the aforementioned friends messaged me when the Grealish deal was done and simply said, "Sorry because I know he means more to you than he will ever mean to me."

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2021, 04:18:37 AM »
Great Article but am I alone thinking  those shins put a damper on the season, for me it had become an extra worry, with loss of form and teams doubling up, A bit of me thinks maybe we got a good deal,and we have seen him at his very best.

Offline The Edge

• GM : 12.11.2022
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2021, 09:00:51 AM »
Excellent article very thought provoking. Thanks for posting. I've been wrestling with my feelings about Jack going to Ci£eh and have had a couple of lively debates with fellow Villa fans over it. My brothers 7 year old granddaughter who has been brought up a Villa fan but is yet to see Jack play in the flesh has asked for a Man City shirt with GREALISH on the back. She certainly won't be getting it but this sums it up for me. Terrible timing from Jack. After almost  2 seasons of having no fans in the stadium he could, no SHOULD of said "I've signed a 4 year deal" and go on to honour at least one more of those seasons. So to jump ship how he did, when he did is just plain wrong. He's sold his soul to the corporate devil in my view and to call him a "let down" really isn't strong enough but the joy he's brought us over the last few seasons makes me stop short of hurling abuse his way. BUT if and when he appears at Villa Park and he celebrates a (hollow) victory with his fellow glory hunting mercenaries that will change. My language will be "cough cough" quite industrial towards him.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2021, 09:55:07 AM »
A very good read.

Generally, I don't have a problem with Man City fans of a similar vintage to me and I've got a couple of good friends who follow them. They carried a similar burden to us - a big city club generally punching below its weight and with a spell in the third tier to underline it - but with the added grief of their city rivals dominating.  According, I didn't begrudge them their first few trophies and the Aguero moment.  However, I get the impression that they're now bored with it. One of the aforementioned friends messaged me when the Grealish deal was done and simply said, "Sorry because I know he means more to you than he will ever mean to me."

I remember at my mate's wedding, his best mate was a ManU fan. He is from Bedford although to be fair his Dad was a Stretford End regular in 50s and 60s being from Manchester.
I first met him the year we were going for title in 1993, a thoroughly decent guy. My mates wedding was in 2004 I jokingly said not still a glory hunter, Daniel? To my surprise he said 'No' Still want them to do well but what was the point after 1999 treble? Think he started going to watch Cobblers (or some such team) thereafter.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal