collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Favourite ever Villa player  (Read 6628 times)

Offline steamer

Re: Favourite ever Villa player
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2021, 08:14:30 AM »
Would we have won the league if Andy stayed , I think not
The season he left 78/79 he had scored  3 league goals before going.
Next season our leading scorer was shaw with 9
The Catalyst was Withe, he scored 19 league goals the following year when we won the league, shaw alongside him scored 18
Then Withe,s Knee  Won the European cup . yet nobody has posted him as their favourite player.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2021, 09:32:14 AM »
The Catalyst was Withe, he scored 19 league goals the following year when we won the league, shaw alongside him scored 18
Then Withe,s Knee  Won the European cup . yet nobody has posted him as their favourite player.

History has treated certain players better than others. Andy Gray is revered and his behaviour when he left and afterwards explained away, because "It's what he did on the pitch that matters." Yet Dwight Yorke, equally successful with us and massively more so elsewhere, gets slaughtered.

Equally Peter Withe, as you say, gets overlooked and Gary Shaw doesn't fare much better while Gordon Cowans is more popular now than he was in his playing days.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2021, 09:56:54 AM »

History has treated certain players better than others. Andy Gray is revered and his behaviour when he left and afterwards explained away, because "It's what he did on the pitch that matters." Yet Dwight Yorke, equally successful with us and massively more so elsewhere, gets slaughtered.

Equally Peter Withe, as you say, gets overlooked and Gary Shaw doesn't fare much better while Gordon Cowans is more popular now than he was in his playing days.

I think Sid gets the adoration because he came back to us and was very successful a second time - he was a more rounded player in his second spell. He got a lot of stick from the crowd when he was a young player, including during the Championship season when many thought he didn't play that well. Shaw was another to get a lot of criticism from the crowd, especially when he didn't reach the heights of 80/81.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2021, 06:15:13 PM »
McGrath.

Or Simon Nimrod. Can't decide.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2021, 06:35:09 PM »
Brian Little for me. It is always special when you see a player come into the team as a youngster and see him develop into a really fine player. It’s one of the reasons why so many of us are getting overemotional about Grealish. Him and Little are the most elegant players I’ve seen in a Villa shirt. Also, Little’s goal celebrations were the best.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2021, 11:46:15 PM »
Good post.

Brian Little will get loads of support on here. I just think of him as the first player who came through the new youth system set up by the Ellis board, apart from everything else he did for us.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2021, 11:52:55 PM »
From when he broke through Brian was a talismanic symbol of our rebirth. He was immensely talented but there was a fragility there that made you want to look after him as well as idolise him. That he got injured when we were on the verge of our greatest moments justadded to the poignancy. As I wrote many years ago, Paul McGrath is worshipped, Dennis Mortimer is respected and Brian Little is loved.   

Offline dr.chekov

« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2021, 09:03:26 AM »
From when he broke through Brian was a talismanic symbol of our rebirth. He was immensely talented but there was a fragility there that made you want to look after him as well as idolise him. That he got injured when we were on the verge of our greatest moments justadded to the poignancy. As I wrote many years ago, Paul McGrath is worshipped, Dennis Mortimer is respected and Brian Little is loved.   

Yep. He was synonymous with Villa for me. My first hero – in football or anything else.

I still remember my uncle telling me he’d retired. Devastation isn’t the word. A childhood trauma on par with my parents telling me the cat had gone to live on a big farm in the countryside.

At least in those days you got the news from a reliable source rather than having to endure days/weeks of twitter lies/bs before finally knowing the truth.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2021, 09:51:10 AM »

Excellently put Dave. I still love Brian Little and he will always be my football hero. 

Offline wince

« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2021, 03:06:51 AM »
Ian Taylor

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2021, 06:57:13 AM »
Up until about a week ago…

Offline martin o`who??

• Apparently I am my own worst enemy.
« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2021, 01:11:10 PM »
Probably Sir Brian but ask me tomorrow and its Withey, the day after Gary Shaw, day after that Gordon Sidney etc. Etc...

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2021, 03:36:51 PM »
Frankie Broome.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #58 on: September 04, 2021, 02:11:35 PM »
would be easy for me to say Andy Gray or Bruce Rioch, but have to say  for just the icon he became has to Paul McGrath

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal