collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 115232 times)

Offline Proposition Joe

Re: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)
« Reply #1005 on: May 31, 2023, 08:43:58 PM »
Very sad to see him go, probably my favourite player of the post-Ellis era. It makes me happy however that when he came back for his second stint he played so well and proved a lot of doubters wrong. I wish him all the best for the future.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1006 on: May 31, 2023, 08:58:54 PM »
A plan is afoot I would think.  Been a brilliant player for us, trusted in any area of the pitch but particularly at full back and I am sure that they will miss his professionalism and support in the changing rooms and around the club generally.  Thanks Ashley.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #1007 on: May 31, 2023, 09:04:42 PM »
Surprised, he did more than enough to earn another year in my opinion. We wouldn't have made 7th without him, filled in amazingly when Cash was out.

Debatable, if Cash was fit throughout we might have got further up the table, we'll never know. Even so, Emery is thinking of better than 7th so he needs the players in that position who will be an improvement on Ash. 

If Emery is thinking higher than 7th and I'm sure he is, then we definitely need someone better than Matty Cash at right back.

Enciso really showed him up on Sunday, had him on toast. I was more nervous of that duel during the match than any other.

Actually there was one duel that made me more nervous - when Mitoma came on for Enciso. I was absolutely convinced we were done for then.

I agree. After Cash’s first half yellow I was convinced he would receive a second facing tricky wingers, particularly Mitoma, so was begging for Young to come on.

Ash has been brilliant and it’s a shame we didn’t get to say goodbye properly. He was also our commander in chief of shithousery and that is a quality we will need to expand on next season.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #1008 on: May 31, 2023, 09:27:57 PM »
Felt a bit gutted today, my lad, who never saw him first time round, is even more gutted. He’s been brilliant this season, for me even though our season was a shitshow under Stevie G, Ash’s moment of the season was chasing down and beating De Bruyne to the ball, rousing the Holte End in the process against Man City.
Will be missed, has made his mark on Villa’s history, but a fine way to bow out and in Emery we trust in how we move forwards.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1009 on: May 31, 2023, 09:29:18 PM »
Odd one, this. 

For a large chunk of the season just gone he was first choice even with Cash fit. Be that tactical or whatever.

When he came back in 2021 the wage was reported @ around the £25k per week mark as well (seems mad, considering his latter contracts and Yanited and Inter). So it's not as if we are so hard pressed with FFP these are the hard calls we need to make.

Can only think that - even if most of us thought AY could perform to a similar high standard over the next 12 months-  Emery (and maybe even Young himself) felt different.  John Terry @ 37 looked  v good for the first 7/8 months of the season in 2017/18 but there were clear signs the legs were going towards the end of that campaign.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #1010 on: May 31, 2023, 10:41:45 PM »
There’s a fair bit of revisionism today regarding this. When it was muted he might be joining there weren’t many thinking it as a step in the right direction for the club. The majority seen it as a pointless signing. It’s turned out he’s been a remarkable recruit and more than filled in when needed. That said, the decision not to give him another year has I think to be down to the data they extract from each player’s performance. We don’t see that but we do see a player getting skinned and being not necessarily slow but not quick enough against some players. Ash has been culpable on a few occasions and it will have been noticed. That’s my take.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1011 on: May 31, 2023, 11:00:13 PM »
There’s a fair bit of revisionism today regarding this. When it was muted he might be joining there weren’t many thinking it as a step in the right direction for the club. The majority seen it as a pointless signing. It’s turned out he’s been a remarkable recruit and more than filled in when needed. That said, the decision not to give him another year has I think to be down to the data they extract from each player’s performance. We don’t see that but we do see a player getting skinned and being not necessarily slow but not quick enough against some players. Ash has been culpable on a few occasions and it will have been noticed. That’s my take.
I agree with this. I’d also say that it’s clear that our ambitions lie higher than 7th place and, remarkable as it is that Ash can still play at that level at 38, RB is one of 2 positions (the other being Bailey/10) where an upgrade to the first team is badly needed.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1012 on: May 31, 2023, 11:01:59 PM »
A decent back-up GK is essential.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1013 on: May 31, 2023, 11:07:33 PM »
He did very well, better than I expected and is a great pro. But that's what he was paid millions to do. Same as his first spell and then he wanted to leave. Now this time it's us that are moving on. It's the circle of life Simba.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #1014 on: May 31, 2023, 11:24:48 PM »
Maybe they didn’t announce it in advance to ensure the focus was entirely on the game.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1015 on: May 31, 2023, 11:36:56 PM »

I think quite a few people have said 'thought it was bad signing, turned out well'.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1016 on: June 01, 2023, 12:01:02 AM »
Maybe they didn’t announce it in advance to ensure the focus was entirely on the game.

I get that, but I'm certain Ashley could have handled the decision if it been handled privately.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1017 on: June 01, 2023, 12:16:13 AM »
I'm not too troubled by Ash not getting a special goodbye. He's only been with us two seasons this time.

I was never that bothered by him diving against us - he never claimed to be a Villa fan, he left in a professional way and he was just doing what he did for his employers at the time. I believe he did re-join us partly out of a connection to the club, and I'd say the fan reaction to him since will have shown him that there is a lot of affection for him about the place.

Over the two spells, he's been without doubt one of the very best players we've had in recent decades. Best of luck, Ash, and as somebody said earlier, you're welcome back any time.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1018 on: June 01, 2023, 02:07:13 AM »
As others have said, we must have a plan for right back. Oh well.

Ash goes with his Villa legacy totally redeemed and then some. He's been the absolute perfect professional and I'm certain he's had a fine influence on the younger lads. I'm so happy he had this second run and that it ended with such good times.

You and me, Monty. If only he were 10 years younger. What a top pro. He not only got in the refs head, he spent time teaching our more experienced players. That kind of mentality is going to be hard to replace. Love him for not just giving his all but the way he tried to inspire those around him.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1019 on: June 01, 2023, 08:35:32 AM »

I reckon you're spot on mate. I did think at Old Trafford he looked his age, but there weren't many occasions where it showed and that was down to his intelligence more than anything.

The Leicester game was a fine example I thought of the pros and cons of playing him. Gets murdered for the goal but doesn't collapse, works out how to make sure it doesn't happen again and ends up getting their full back sent off instead.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal