collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 115264 times)

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
Re: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)
« Reply #990 on: May 31, 2023, 05:12:54 PM »
It's the right decision. Ruthless and unsentimental, as we need to be if we're going to compete at the very top. I suspect that rather than sign a replacement, we'll now bring in a top class RB and Cash will be the back-up.

Still a sad day though, Young's been brilliant for us and he clearly loves the club. The consummate pro and a top bloke.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #991 on: May 31, 2023, 05:21:17 PM »
Well Ashley! I didnt know what to expect when you came back but I certainly didn't expect you to be as good and as influential as you have been. Top professional and I wish him all the luck in the world with his next club (I suspect Watford)
Completely rebuilt the legacy his dive against us had tarnished.

Online nigel

« Reply #992 on: May 31, 2023, 05:33:24 PM »
Perhaps he might return to Watford? He's been a model professional for us. I wish him well.

That would complete the full circle.
In a way the perfect way to close your career off.
Great player and has shown he’s a model professional

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #993 on: May 31, 2023, 06:29:35 PM »
Surprised, he did more than enough to earn another year in my opinion. We wouldn't have made 7th without him, filled in amazingly when Cash was out.

Debatable, if Cash was fit throughout we might have got further up the table, we'll never know. Even so, Emery is thinking of better than 7th so he needs the players in that position who will be an improvement on Ash. 

If Emery is thinking higher than 7th and I'm sure he is, then we definitely need someone better than Matty Cash at right back.

Enciso really showed him up on Sunday, had him on toast. I was more nervous of that duel during the match than any other.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #994 on: May 31, 2023, 06:33:24 PM »
Surprised, he did more than enough to earn another year in my opinion. We wouldn't have made 7th without him, filled in amazingly when Cash was out.

Debatable, if Cash was fit throughout we might have got further up the table, we'll never know. Even so, Emery is thinking of better than 7th so he needs the players in that position who will be an improvement on Ash. 

If Emery is thinking higher than 7th and I'm sure he is, then we definitely need someone better than Matty Cash at right back.

Enciso really showed him up on Sunday, had him on toast. I was more nervous of that duel during the match than any other.

Actually there was one duel that made me more nervous - when Mitoma came on for Enciso. I was absolutely convinced we were done for then.

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #995 on: May 31, 2023, 06:45:46 PM »
It's the right decision. Ruthless and unsentimental, as we need to be if we're going to compete at the very top. I suspect that rather than sign a replacement, we'll now bring in a top class RB and Cash will be the back-up.

Still a sad day though, Young's been brilliant for us and he clearly loves the club. The consummate pro and a top bloke.

My head agrees with this, my heart doesn’t. Ultimately it’s probably the correct decision.

All the best to him, Forever Young.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #996 on: May 31, 2023, 06:51:48 PM »

Actually there was one duel that made me more nervous - when Mitoma came on for Enciso. I was absolutely convinced we were done for then.
Thank god he didn’t have both on at the same time.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #997 on: May 31, 2023, 07:23:42 PM »
The squad isn’t exactly brimming with European football experience, he’s still fit and playing well and he’s got lots of good history with us, seems like a good head around the squad, we don’t have the biggest squad and already need to sign up to half a dozen as it is; this for me is the wrong decision.

Online dekko

« Reply #998 on: May 31, 2023, 07:28:23 PM »
Impossible to say if it's the right decision without knowing what transfers we'll make.

If the season was to start tomorrow it'd be the wrong move, for sure.  But it doesn't and I'm sure we'll bring people in that means we wont miss him much.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #999 on: May 31, 2023, 07:37:33 PM »
Cracking player for us in both spells. He probably earned another contract with us, but Emery has big plans for us and I trust him whatever he does.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1000 on: May 31, 2023, 07:38:25 PM »
Im am slightly surprised by this - I wonder if the decision / discussions were made over the last few days. 

If we didnt seem him as part of the squad for next season - I woudl expect them to say before the final game so he could say good bye.

Surprisingly sad to see him go.  But hes done a great job for us over the two season - and when Brigton brought on Mitoma, I thought we should have brought on young - as I felt cash was struggling.

I'm assuming that a new right back is high on the list. 

Big thank you for everything Young has done for the club !

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #1001 on: May 31, 2023, 07:55:40 PM »
Completely agree with this. Ash knows the team/club & has extensive European experience. After him saying he wanted to stay, I really don't understand the decision tbh.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #1002 on: May 31, 2023, 08:02:32 PM »
I think he's been remarkable this season and worthy of another 12 months, however it makes sense to bring in fresh blood if they've got someone in mind. A class player who really turned back the clock when he came back.

Offline ExclDawg

« Reply #1003 on: May 31, 2023, 08:36:09 PM »
Really disappointed to hear this.  Watching the games he did play, you could tell he was pretty much the unofficial team captain. The only reason he didn't wear the armband was because he was too old to start all 38 games, but you could see that he was the guy that commanded everyone's respect.

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #1004 on: May 31, 2023, 08:38:24 PM »
Exactly!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal