collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 115195 times)

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
Re: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)
« Reply #975 on: May 31, 2023, 02:33:29 PM »
Worked out brilliantly for us the past couple of seasons, hope he gets a good move for himself.

Offline Tokyo Sexwhale

« Reply #976 on: May 31, 2023, 02:43:57 PM »
Obviously we don't know who is coming in, but you'd have thought he'd be useful to keep around for another season, given the extra games (hopefully) in Europe, and he's an experienced head who can cover multiple positions reliably, or come on as a sub to tighten things up.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #977 on: May 31, 2023, 02:46:21 PM »
Said it before, but in his first spell with us he I'd the most exciting player I've seen for Villa.

Every time he got the ball, you'd get off your chair, expecting him to beat his man and whip a dangerous cross in, or curl a shot into the top corner.

So delighted that he was also a very good Fullback in his second spell with us.

Maybe he will come back as a coach some day.

All the best Ashley.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
Re: Ashley Young
« Reply #978 on: May 31, 2023, 03:01:16 PM »
Clinical by the club.

We've obviously got another RB lined up.

Thanks Ash, shame he didn't get the chance for a proper goodbye but also good that we've just let him go so he can move on. I wonder if he'll hang up his boots or go to one of the promoted clubs.

His attitude suggests he's aware of the oft-repeated line about missing playing once you stop. I think he'll play until bits of him start actually falling off!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #979 on: May 31, 2023, 03:12:02 PM »
Amazing professional. Gave us two good seasons wish him he very best or the rest  his life

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #980 on: May 31, 2023, 03:15:10 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed watching him wind up the opposition and finally having someone in the ref's ear.

I know someone who did work on his house first time around and he is apparently a very nice bloke. Watford need leaders with how they treat their managers so he could do a job there.

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #981 on: May 31, 2023, 03:16:15 PM »
With 9 subs on the bench, I still think that there was a place for Ash for at least another season.

I'm not convinced by Cash, so hopefully there's a better right-back on the way.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #982 on: May 31, 2023, 03:16:18 PM »
Really wasn’t sure about his return but he showed great experience and leadership as well as some flashes of the player he was first time round. Thought he was one of our best players last season. Would have kept him around for at least another season.

Online edgysatsuma89

« Reply #983 on: May 31, 2023, 03:18:59 PM »
With 9 subs on the bench, I still think that there was a place for Ash for at least another season.

I'm not convinced by Cash, so hopefully there's a better right-back on the way.

Nor me but I don't think that is the consensus.

Offline Diablo

« Reply #984 on: May 31, 2023, 03:19:54 PM »
As people have already said a superb professional and a winner. I would have liked him to stay on another year for sure - thanks Ash! Good luck in the future!

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #985 on: May 31, 2023, 03:22:30 PM »
Thoroughly enjoyed watching him wind up the opposition and finally having someone in the ref's ear.
I think there is job for him at the club in that area. This aspect is almost as important as, dare I say, McPhee's job.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #986 on: May 31, 2023, 03:23:44 PM »
I hope Ash lands himself a playing role at a PL club or Championship. Milner is joining Brighton for example so no reason to think Ash couldn’t do a job at Luton to help them stabilize. But he’d certainly be a massive asset to a promotion aspiring side a league down.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #987 on: May 31, 2023, 04:01:51 PM »
He’s done a great job or us this season, as he has every season he’s spent with us. I wish him all the best.

Offline supertom

« Reply #988 on: May 31, 2023, 04:48:50 PM »
I'd have liked him to stay another year, particularly as his European experience could be invaluable. He's been a great servant and had a very good 18 months. To be fair to him, he did well once Gerrard came in and carried that on into this season.

We will need a big squad next season with (all being well) a lot of games to play. He could have been useful. I wonder if the club maybe need to think about the wage bill with impending summer window. Who knows. It may be that Emery is being suitably ruthless. Undoubtedly we'll sign a rival for Cash. We may also have a youth prospect the coaches fancy may be ready to step up to the squad. We have a utility man in Chambers still.

It's a sad day, I'm gutted to see him go. There's no room for sentiment when it comes to making another step up. Absolutely fantastic player though in both his spells, doing considerably different jobs on both occasions. And also, if there was that niggling feeling that moving to United (and a couple of games against us) might have sullied his reputation among fans, his second spell has more than repaired that. Legend for me. Players come and go these days and it's quite rare it hits you in the feels like seeing Ash depart.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #989 on: May 31, 2023, 04:55:39 PM »
It seems a strange decision, I find it hard to believe the money would have been a huge stumbling block and you would have thought what he offers in experience and cover would have been worth it.  Maybe once Emery laid out his plans gametime wise Ash didn't fancy it (perhaps third choice etc)?

Either way it was an astute signing, he gave 100% when called on and made a big contribution since his return.  The fans clearly like him and I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at the club at some point in the future.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal