collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112333 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)
« Reply #930 on: May 31, 2023, 12:01:59 PM »
I expect as a free, Ash isn't on peanuts so maybe just freeing up some money for other players. It is a shame though as he didn't put a foot wrong in the majority of our games and his outfield shit-housing complemented Emi's.

Yes, Id guess he's be on the thick end of £50k a week and, if he's been told he wont play much, then that's an awful lot of money for a reserve/kids coach/cheerleader. If he wants to play he will do at another PL club and when thats over, I'd love to see him back to start his coaching career back here as he's an absolute class act.

Offline Rich6by7

« Reply #931 on: May 31, 2023, 12:04:44 PM »
Shame he’s leaving; I think he’d earned an extra season with us, including European football even mainly as a substitute. Good luck Ash and thanks for your hard work and commitment to the team.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #932 on: May 31, 2023, 12:06:23 PM »
He's given us two great years at a time in his career when I didn't think he was capable of playing at the level he has.  I also think his experience has also been invaluable as the team has gone higher in the league, and in he seems like a really good presence in the dressing room.

But, I'm not sure he's going to offer much on the pitch next year, so it's probably the right decision given the recruitment we're all hoping to see.  There's little point having him around as a third-choice right-back who barely plays, when we've got Kessler-Hayden who can fulfill that role.

I'm confident he can still do a job in the Prem, and I'll be surprised if he retires.  But it's not like he needs the money, so if he's not offered something decent then maybe he will call it time?

Thanks for the second set of memories Ash!

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #933 on: May 31, 2023, 12:08:25 PM »
We are going to need players with loads of energy next season.  Ash was starting to wilt a bit in games which is entirely understandable.  I’ll miss his shithousing though took us to a new level.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #934 on: May 31, 2023, 12:10:39 PM »
Brilliant contribution and saved some of his very best until last

If I were a promoted side I'd be speed dialing his agent

Offline DerbyVillian

« Reply #935 on: May 31, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
That's a shame, thought he'd get another year. Especially, with being in Europe.

Great role model, would love to have him around the club, in some capacity.

:( :(

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #936 on: May 31, 2023, 12:12:21 PM »
Disappointing that he wasn't told before Sunday so he could get a proper send off

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #937 on: May 31, 2023, 12:13:36 PM »
He’s been invaluable to us this season. I doubt very much we’d be where we are now without his contribution. Hopefully the squad have watched him and learnt from him.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #938 on: May 31, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »
He had a fantastic season for us, his experience and knowledge was exactly what we needed at certain key moments in games. Proper professional. A shame it wasn’t announced before Sunday’s game though.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #939 on: May 31, 2023, 12:14:15 PM »
Disappointing that he wasn't told before Sunday so he could get a proper send off

No chance anything like that was happening whilst we were still playing for something, and rightly so.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #940 on: May 31, 2023, 12:15:20 PM »

I kind of think that maybe he did know or at least suspect, he seemed to linger a bit longer and take it all in a bit more than all the other players.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #941 on: May 31, 2023, 12:22:06 PM »
Surprised, he did more than enough to earn another year in my opinion. We wouldn't have made 7th without him, filled in amazingly when Cash was out.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 14.03.2024
« Reply #942 on: May 31, 2023, 12:26:04 PM »
If Unai has said tararabit Ash mate then that is that.  Cheers Youngy thanks for everything!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #943 on: May 31, 2023, 12:28:55 PM »

No chance anything like that was happening whilst we were still playing for something, and rightly so.

Agreed. The entire focus was on the game and magnitude that winning it has brought to the club. And Emery said time and again all player decisions would be made after the season ended. It’s a massive shame he’s not staying but the business of football can be cruel. And it’s not about us fans in that regard and it shouldn’t be. Certainly not with a manager like Emery. He clearly has a plan in mind and with a number of kids also available from loan he’s going to want the squad he wants. And he’s earned the right to do that.

Offline Cliftonville Villain

« Reply #944 on: May 31, 2023, 12:30:46 PM »
An outstanding servant to the club, what a player and what a contribution over the last two seasons. He was worth every penny. To the clown on MOTD this is what professionalism looks like.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal