collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 115115 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Ashley Young
« Reply #810 on: February 04, 2023, 01:27:46 PM »
Young got into the team because Cash went to the world cup, since then he's deserved to keep his place, so he has. I honestly don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Well there is as i said in my post.
Are people not aware of the tactical change and the full back strategy that Emery has employed . And as i have clearly stated and observes the positions Young has taken up?

Just wanted to point this out to everyone for discussion.

Yes, footy. We’ve seen the Villa play thanks. What’s shocked me is how long it’s taken a football professor such as yourself to notice.

Offline GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #811 on: February 04, 2023, 01:29:53 PM »
Difficult to see much with his head stuck so far up where the sun doesn’t shine!

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #812 on: February 04, 2023, 01:39:05 PM »
Young got into the team because Cash went to the world cup, since then he's deserved to keep his place, so he has. I honestly don't think there's anything more to it than that.
Well there is as i said in my post.
Are people not aware of the tactical change and the full back strategy that Emery has employed . And as i have clearly stated and observes the positions Young has taken up?

Just wanted to point this out to everyone for discussion.

and yet Cash started the games before the world cup.

It might be tactical but it's much more likely that Young had to start a few games and has done nothing to dserve to be dropped.

The real 'problem' here is that you saw pictures of Cash being excited over a few swapped shirts and have decided he's not professional or intelligent enough for you so you'll just shit post about him from now on, god forbid he's gets a flight to Dublin or Amsterdam any time soon.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #813 on: February 04, 2023, 01:44:37 PM »
I also think that Emery had to steady the ship the first few games and wanted to tighten up at the back. Young is more defensively minded than Cash, whereas Cash is more athletic and gets forward more.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #814 on: February 04, 2023, 01:47:45 PM »
I also think that Emery had to steady the ship the first few games and wanted to tighten up at the back. Young is more defensively minded than Cash, whereas Cash is more athletic and gets forward more.

That could also be true but the only thing we know for fact is that Cash started games before the WC break and then wasn't available afterwards so Emery had no choice but to pick Young.

Young keeping the shirt might be down to any number of things but the fact that he's been one of our best players over that period is probably the simplest answer.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #815 on: February 04, 2023, 01:55:15 PM »
It’s undoubtedly true that the two full-backs are playing differently, with Young forming a back three while Moreno bombs on. What I don’t know is if Emery is basing this on the relative strengths of the players, or if it’s a tactical preference no matter the personnel. Like, has he done it at previous clubs?

Over to you footy, you’re bound to know this with your unrivalled and unique tactical insight, for which we are all grateful.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 01:58:05 PM by Percy McCarthy »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #816 on: February 04, 2023, 02:09:26 PM »
Well, Moreno won't be bombing on much today.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #817 on: February 04, 2023, 02:11:44 PM »
Well, Moreno won't be bombing on much today.

True, but I’m sure Digne will be.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #818 on: March 22, 2023, 11:30:25 AM »
It’s probably been posted elsewhere but an interesting interview with Ashley Young on TalkSPORT earlier:
https://youtu.be/UV3xbYIe_hA

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #819 on: March 24, 2023, 03:53:23 PM »
The bantz with "Gabs" lives on.

Online Mellin

« Reply #820 on: April 07, 2023, 07:19:43 PM »
Might be time to start savouring this run of starts. Him and Grealish out in front on the best wingers front, for me. Early 90s first Villa memories.

Not a bad full back, either. Bit of a legend, in a time where we haven't had many, is our Ash.

Offline Villafirst

« Reply #821 on: April 11, 2023, 07:24:24 AM »
Ashley deserves another 12 month extension to his contract. He's still remarkably fit and quick. He's also a good influence and role model for the youngsters coming through. That experience is also valuable in the dressing room.

Online Baldy

« Reply #822 on: April 11, 2023, 07:37:48 AM »
Ashley deserves another 12 month extension to his contract. He's still remarkably fit and quick. He's also a good influence and role model for the youngsters coming through. That experience is also valuable in the dressing room.

Hear, Hear

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #823 on: April 11, 2023, 09:23:16 AM »
Might be time to start savouring this run of starts. Him and Grealish out in front on the best wingers front, for me. Early 90s first Villa memories.

Not a bad full back, either. Bit of a legend, in a time where we haven't had many, is our Ash.

I'm pretty sure there was a match in his first term where someone got free of the defence and was running at goal and Ash appeared from nowhere with a perfectly timed tackle. Showed his defensive qualities then. And yes, definitely a good fullback on either side.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #824 on: April 11, 2023, 01:48:50 PM »
Could give Kessler a little more time to get ready if we see him as the long-term solution but needs longer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal