collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 115230 times)

Offline rob_bridge

Re: Ashley Young
« Reply #750 on: January 14, 2023, 11:59:32 AM »
His pass out of defence for the first goal last night was outstanding but Sky have barely mentioned it. Too busy wanking over Gnonto, a player Young had in his pocket for most of the night.

Surprised they didn't think it was a fluke.

Absolute quality vision and execution.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #751 on: January 14, 2023, 12:42:12 PM »
He has been ridiculously good and I don't think Cash will get back in the team in a hurry. 8 tackles last night, incredible how he reinvented himself. There was nothing to suggest he would become a defender when he was flying down the wing in his first spell.

I saw an interview with him earlier this week when he said he was never the most talented. I am not so sure about that, he was a very naturally exciting winger to watch in his day.

One thing that does confuse me is the fact he is nowhere near our set pieces. He was the best deliverer of a dead ball cross that we have had for 20 years (perhaps alongside Hourihane) and surely you don't lose that part with age. Our corners are invariably shit at the moment.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #752 on: January 14, 2023, 12:45:56 PM »
Amazing that he came back here as a back up left back? I think.

He was my favourite player during his first spell here, and losing him was much worse than Barry, Milner etc

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #753 on: January 14, 2023, 12:47:42 PM »
Is it fair to say that he was mainly signed to provide leadership and to set an example?  It’s incredible that putting in these performances.

If he’s also doing the first bit then the signing will be paying dividends for years.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #754 on: January 14, 2023, 12:58:20 PM »
He has been ridiculously good and I don't think Cash will get back in the team in a hurry. 8 tackles last night, incredible how he reinvented himself. There was nothing to suggest he would become a defender when he was flying down the wing in his first spell.

He did used to get back and help Bouma, or whoever the left back was at the time.

It's the way that he's looked after himself over his career that's a testament to him.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #755 on: January 14, 2023, 01:23:33 PM »
33% each for Bouma, Luke Young and Warnock, I believe. Both chronological in order and descending in quality.

Online FatSam

« Reply #756 on: January 15, 2023, 11:51:22 AM »
Amazing that he is older than Gabby, who has already been retired for 4 years. Gabby basically achieved all of his career highs by the time he was 24, and coasted from 2010 onwards. Since then Young spent 10 years at other clubs challenging himself, and hasn’t given up yet.

I suppose you could argue that Gabby was loyal to Villa and impacted by the general malaise at the club, but it’s a two way street. Throwing Joe into the mix, an interesting discussion (probably had many times on here) is loyalty v ambition, and what is actually best for the club. I suppose loyalty and ambition together is best. Gabby seemed to have loyalty but no ambition, whereas Ash has ambition and at least some loyalty. At least we got a decent fee for him in 2011, and he has been a positive influence over the last couple of years. With hindsight I would rather that we sold Gabby at the height of his powers, and let him coast into retirement somewhere else.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 11:58:03 AM by FatSam »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #757 on: January 15, 2023, 12:07:58 PM »
Agbonlahor's loyalty really boiled down to nobody else wanting the fat bastard.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #758 on: January 15, 2023, 01:07:43 PM »
I wonder if Young will get offered an extra year with us. He shows no signs of slowing down.

Offline Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #759 on: January 15, 2023, 01:10:02 PM »
I hope his association with us continues. He is clearly a positive influence and a tremendous role model.

Offline bob

« Reply #760 on: January 15, 2023, 01:18:33 PM »
If you're looking back at the great Villa players of the last 20 years he'd be in the conversation based on his first spell, but to come back at his age and play like he is, in a completely different role, and to show the dedication and professionalism through what's been quite a tumultuous time at the club puts him out on his own for me.

And we're still about £4m in credit from his transfers.

Yes Lee, bona fide legend.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #761 on: January 15, 2023, 01:29:40 PM »
Wonder if he's considering going for his coaching badges?  One more season and into the coaching set up? He has been really good this year.  Glad he came back.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #762 on: January 15, 2023, 01:30:25 PM »
Wonder if he's considering going for his coaching badges?  One more season and into the coaching set up? He has been really good this year.  Glad he came back.

Given who he worked with you'd hope so.

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #763 on: January 15, 2023, 01:42:43 PM »
His pass out of defence for the first goal last night was outstanding but Sky have barely mentioned it. Too busy wanking over Gnonto, a player Young had in his pocket for most of the night.

Surprised they didn't think it was a fluke.

Absolute quality vision and execution.

The BBC report also quoted it as ‘hooked forward’ as if it was a rushed clearance!!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #764 on: January 15, 2023, 02:12:36 PM »
When you think, he joined us 16 years ago this month with Carew. Between those two and Gabby, MON did get the best out of them.

And now look at their subsequent fates...one in jail for tax evasion, one a football radio shock-jock who let himself go before he turned 30 and then there's the old manager left on the coach scrap-heap, reduced to peddling his memoirs on podcasts run by fans of his former clubs.

While Ashley plays to a packed Villa Park every other week on a top-half Premier League wage.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 05:03:45 PM by eamonn »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal