collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112312 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Ashley Young
« Reply #510 on: July 04, 2022, 01:37:14 PM »
As for Ash, he did ok at left back last season when called upon. It was just when he was needlessly put into midfield that he looked past it.

That was one of the things I think Gerrard got wrong, bringing him on in midfield especially when we were winning.  But that aside, he's clearly a good bloke to have around the place and I think Gerrard sees him as a link between himself and the rest of the team.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #511 on: July 04, 2022, 01:49:55 PM »
As for Ash, he did ok at left back last season when called upon. It was just when he was needlessly put into midfield that he looked past it.

That was one of the things I think Gerrard got wrong, bringing him on in midfield especially when we were winning.  But that aside, he's clearly a good bloke to have around the place and I think Gerrard sees him as a link between himself and the rest of the team.

Agreed. I think a part of it was just having faith in the kids on the bench to see out games. It changed a little as the season went on. This season he needs to be a LB back up and the leader in the dressing room. I think and I hope we lean more on the likes of Carney, Tim, even JPB (remember him injured at Stoke) vs just throwing on Ashley every game.

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #512 on: July 04, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »
Good experience to have in the squad. Thumbs up from me.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #513 on: July 04, 2022, 06:09:06 PM »
Slightly underwhelmed to be honest, then again I don't expect he will get that much game time.

Offline steamer

« Reply #514 on: July 04, 2022, 07:05:03 PM »
No problem from me

Offline Cliftonville Villlain

« Reply #515 on: July 04, 2022, 07:21:00 PM »
The senior player. Good to have in the dressing room making sure the younger players know what they're doing and have someone to look up to. I believe Gabby had the same role a few years back. Or was that being off his tits in Dubai? *shudder*

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #516 on: July 04, 2022, 07:29:27 PM »
The senior player. Good to have in the dressing room making sure the younger players know what they're doing and have someone to look up to. I believe Gabby had the same role a few years back. Or was that being off his tits in Dubai? *shudder*

Younger than Ashley and he's been (officially) retired 4 years.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #517 on: July 04, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »
Welcome back again Ash.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #518 on: July 04, 2022, 08:16:40 PM »
Let’s hope we never see him starting in midfield again.

Offline nigel

« Reply #519 on: July 04, 2022, 08:24:55 PM »
Young Carney will be pleased

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #520 on: July 04, 2022, 11:48:51 PM »
Well that's the £200+ increase on zone 6 seats justified

Exciting times

Pure art. Every single time *chefs kiss*

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #521 on: July 05, 2022, 01:35:12 AM »
Always felt SG wants to keep Ashley and bring him in to the coaching team. Nothing has changed. My only concern is SG thinks Ashley can play in a more advanced role. He can't. He's at best a cover for Digne. If we bring in another left back I can't see the surpose of giving him an additional year. Expect him to get his coaching badges this season.

Offline Rory

« Reply #522 on: July 05, 2022, 01:46:16 AM »
Always felt SG wants to keep Ashley and bring him in to the coaching team. Nothing has changed. My only concern is SG thinks Ashley can play in a more advanced role. He can't. He's at best a cover for Digne. If we bring in another left back I can't see the surpose of giving him an additional year. Expect him to get his coaching badges this season.

Good pro to have around the squad, and if, as part of his aspiration to become a coach, he can teach the younger lads to deliver a ball the way he did for us the first time, that's good enough for me.

I think Gerrard recognises footballing class when he sees it, and Young has that class. As long as he doesn't play apart from in an emergency, I'm happy.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #523 on: July 05, 2022, 01:48:46 AM »

Good pro to have around the squad, and if, as part of his aspiration to become a coach, he can teach the younger lads to deliver a ball the way he did for us the first time, that's good enough for me.

You're easily pleased, Rory but then I've seen what you eat. ;)

Offline Rory

« Reply #524 on: July 05, 2022, 01:55:15 AM »

You're easily pleased, Rory but then I've seen what you eat. ;)

Fucking hell, within two minutes. How do I recover from that?!

Here's a question for you, Rudy. A season of Ashley as first choice left back, or a month of eating nothing but delicious lentil casserole for dinner every night?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal