collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by olaftab
[Today at 12:54:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ashley Young (Goodbye and thank you)  (Read 112299 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Ashley Young - welcome home.
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2021, 07:17:46 PM »
I'll be championing Young all season. Important role here.
Will be poetic if he is the one to replace Grealish left side Vs Watford.
For all Grealish attributes he was never the goal scoring or shooting threat Young had or has.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2021, 07:21:47 PM »
Did Ashley ever get a chance to put a word in Jack's ear? If so, I'm not sure would it have been "Mate, take the chance to go there and win whatever you can. You can always come back here like I'm doing when you're 35" or more "Mate, I came back here cos no other club is as special as the Villa. Stay - I'll help you win things here". One of them sounds more plausible...

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2021, 07:28:44 PM »
Did Ashley ever get a chance to put a word in Jack's ear? If so, I'm not sure would it have been "Mate, take the chance to go there and win whatever you can. You can always come back here like I'm doing when you're 35" or more "Mate, I came back here cos no other club is as special as the Villa. Stay - I'll help you win things here". One of them sounds more plausible...

From my understanding players don't really bother about others moving on as its nature of the job.
Yeah they would like good or best players around them but they are all realistic and ultimately are concerned on own career, playing time, contract to be that bothered about another player.
Plus gives Ashley bigger status with Grealish out the picture.
The returning hero!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #304 on: August 13, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »
I'll be championing Young all season. Important role here.
Will be poetic if he is the one to replace Grealish left side Vs Watford.
For all Grealish attributes he was never the goal scoring or shooting threat Young had or has.
Yaaawn.

Young is -without doubt - a bit of a masterstroke-signing. I just hope his corner-taking and set-pieces have improved because he had a terrible tendency to overhit them frequently.
I could quite easily see him playing #10 or on the left as well as being cover for Targett and Cash.
There is no reason for any comparison with any of our former players because all are unique in different ways.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #305 on: August 13, 2021, 10:47:13 AM »
A great pro. Could have let his career slide after a series of injuries at Man United. He already had the money and medals. But instead transformed his conditioning and ended up playing wing back for United, England and Inter. Good one for our younger players to be looking up to and still a very useful squad player.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #306 on: August 13, 2021, 10:55:33 AM »
Retire and into the u23's as a coach?  Also good to see him back, we'll always have Everton away with Laursen.  Sitting in the Gwladys that night...happy happy day!

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #307 on: August 13, 2021, 11:25:24 AM »
Any excuse

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #308 on: August 13, 2021, 11:46:20 AM »
What a game that was. I'll always love those tandem celebrations from Young and Laursen!

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2021, 12:20:27 PM »
Dean Smith BT Sport:
"What Young brings first and foremost is unbelievable experience and professionalism.He's also got versatility, can play a number of different positions, and I think he's impressed everybody at the football club so far with how fit he is. It should be young Ashley rather than Ashley Young. Young is still in the top five in everything he does which has been really pleasing."

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2021, 12:53:35 PM »
I think signing Ashley Young is one of those signings where it makes a lot of sense at the time and then when you see him training/playing, you realise it's actually a much better signing than you realised and he's got a lot more to give than what we may have foreseen for him. I think he's going to be involved a lot.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2021, 03:35:59 PM »
The last year or two we have lacked a bit of experience in the dressing room - the sort of thing Petrov used to bring to us, or what the likes of a James Milner would bring.

To that end - and let's not remember, Young won the Italian league and played 30 starts and 15 sub appearances last season.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2021, 04:03:35 PM »
I thought when we got him he could be the signing of the season - for most clubs

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2021, 09:39:32 PM »
Aston Villa’s Ashley Young: ‘I think we can definitely reach Europe’

Source: The Guardian

Ashley Young had dreams when he joined Watford as a 10-year-old but it is fair to say he did not envisage returning to Vicarage Road 26 years later as the only Englishman to have won the league in England and Italy. “I don’t think I would actually have believed that,” says the player who, on Saturday, will kick off his second stint at Aston Villa at the club where his exceptional journey began. But nostalgia will not grip him.

"I don’t think I’m really going to look back at achievements until I retire.
I’m still playing, still fit and I still want to achieve things. I’ve been an ambitious person since I was a kid and that’s just grown and grown. That mentality will never leave me"

That is one of the reasons why he should prove to be a canny signing by Villa, who were quick to lure him on a free in June after he concluded a successful 18-month spell at Internazionale by winning Serie A. Embracing the Italian challenge rather than idling in luxury at Old Trafford was in keeping with Young’s character.....
During Young’s first incarnation as a Villa player the club finished sixth for three seasons in a row under Martin O’Neill before the then-owner, Randy Lerner, lost the will to keep funding progress. Villa fell away while Young, after moving to United in 2011, continued climbing. He won every major domestic competition and the 2017 Europa League during nearly a decade at United before moving to Italy, and his 39 England caps included the run to the 2018 World Cup semi-finals. Now Villa, with renewed ambition under a pair of billionaire owners, Wes Edens and Nassef Sawiris, hope Young will add quality and knowhow to Dean Smith’s budding team.

"I've been around the block I was captain at Manchester United, I know what it takes. If I can help influence the younger players, then I’m willing to give advice. Of course I don’t have all the answers but so far whenever any of the younger guys have asked me anything, I’ve been able to help. But that works both ways: everyone that goes out on to the pitch has to talk. Everyone has to help everyone"
Young is among those who believe the departure of Jack Grealish need not clip Villa’s wings, especially as this summer’s other recruits – Emi Buendía, Leon Bailey and Danny Ings – enrich an already talented squad. “You can’t take anything away from what Jack did – he was fantastic for the club,” he says. “But when players move on, you move on too. I believe the club has done great business in recruiting the players that they have. One player went out but four have come in so far. So the competition in the squad is very good"

"You have to be on your toes 24/7, in every training session and every game. That sort of competition is very healthy and I’ve had it at every club I’ve been at. There is so much potential, qualities in abundance. I’ve got a really good feeling about this season. The owners and the manager have backed the team and now it’s down to the team to go out and produce on the pitch. I think we can definitely reach Europe, which is where a club of this magnitude should be year in, year out"

As for Young’s position, that, as ever, is an open issue. The player is happy about that, because he has never seen versatility as a curse. “I think I’ve played in every position in my career except goalkeeper"

"Obviously I was brought up as a winger or a No 10 and I always wanted to stay there but if you’re asked to play wing-back or whatever, you go out and give your best. I have a good football brain and can play different positions. I went to the World Cup as a wing-back so you can’t think that being versatile hinders your chances. I’ve played at left-back in some of the pre-season friendlies with Villa and then I played as a winger in one [against Salernitana] and I scored. Wherever the manager calls on me to play, I’ll go out there and give my all. There are chances to win things at this club"

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #314 on: August 14, 2021, 02:09:44 PM »
Let's go Ashley Young!
Brilliant official news he starts

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal